Author Topic: puppy eating slugs  (Read 1681 times)

Offline dave w

• Site Member
puppy eating slugs
« on: October 10, 2021, 10:10:13 AM »
i'm pretty sure my 10 week old puppy is eating slugs in the garden, i caught him last night and he spat it out but he did go and try to eat it again ,looked it up online to see if they would make him sick and came across lungworms which i had never heard of before ,i have had dogs before and always wormed them and he was wormed earlier this week but have just read there is only one lungworm preventative in the uk which is called advocate.
Hugo is at the vets tomorrow for his second injection so will ask them about it, has anyone used it on a dog that has just had it's second vaccination.

Offline sophie.ivy

Re: puppy eating slugs
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 07:33:03 AM »
Hi Dave,
I also have a 10 week old little slug eater! I made a panicky call to the vets a few days ago and she reassured me that Panacur (which my puppy had at 8 weeks) covered lungworm, as did the Advocate she was given yesterday - 1 day after her 2nd jab.

I would highly recommend using nematodes in the garden as a pet safe slug killer. You can buy it on Amazon and at garden centres etc. and it’s worked wonders in our garden. Haven’t seen one since I put it down 3 days ago. Gives me a bit of peace of mind when she’s out there and time to train ‘leave it’ and feel confident she will actually be able to resist the temptation when she next encounters the next delicious (!!) slug.

As long as your boy is eating and toileting as normal and has the same energy levels (sky high I would imagine) then I wouldn’t worry too much, but that’s easier said then done when they’re young!

Offline dave w

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 06:10:10 PM »
Hi Sophie
i was at the vets today for second jab and they gave me some advocate i was a bit surprised as they said it's best to take it every month to guard against lungworm but would only give me the one application and said i would need to go back again in a month to get another one, can't see why they wouldn't let me have more , they said he would need to be weighed first but i don't see why as its for dogs between 4kg/15kg it's not like he's going to be 15 kg in a month
i will look into the nematodes i'm sure it's something they will grow out off in a few months.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 06:46:20 PM »
Hi Sophie
i was at the vets today for second jab and they gave me some advocate i was a bit surprised as they said it's best to take it every month to guard against lungworm but would only give me the one application and said i would need to go back again in a month to get another one, can't see why they wouldn't let me have more , they said he would need to be weighed first but i don't see why as its for dogs between 4kg/15kg it's not like he's going to be 15 kg in a month
i will look into the nematodes i'm sure it's something they will grow out off in a few months.

Sounds like the vet is on a money maker here and I would agree with you that there should be no need to take the dog back for a tablet that covers such a large range of weight Slugs are not usually active during the cold winter months and hopefully by the spring your little fella will have got out of the extra protein hunt.[/b]
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline sophie.ivy

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 08:47:57 AM »
That's a good point about the Advocate - they said the same to me too, but her weight isn't going to change that significantly in a month! Plus you can just weigh them yourself at home.

I wonder if you could ask the vets for the prescription and get it yourself online. I did that with my cat for one of his medications and it was a lot more convenient.

That's reassured me Mudmagnet about the winter months being slug-free, she's good in the garden now but walks will be another story (only 7 days to go until her freedom day!)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 01:02:00 PM »
That's reassured me Mudmagnet about the winter months being slug-free, she's good in the garden now but walks will be another story (only 7 days to go until her freedom day!)

We need some really hard frosts, me thinks. Maybe worth keeping him on a lead whilst out for a walk, then you will have the opportunity to teach a 'leave' if you think he is likely to be too interested in the flora and fauna (and indeed anything else that is delicious to them - but not us)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline dave w

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 08:06:45 PM »
the other thing is I'm assuming if i have to take him back to get weighed before they will give me another advocate they will charge a consultation fee plus the cost of the advocate which make it pretty expensive for one treatment ,i did think of asking for a prescription but have a feeling they will only give me one for a month.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 08:57:16 PM »
Most vets will weigh dogs for free (usually done by a nurse).  If it were me, I would mention your previous consultation and ask the nurse if you can have the next prescription according to his weight  ;). I don’t see why you should have to pay for another vets consultation.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 12:10:37 PM »
Most vets will weigh dogs for free (usually done by a nurse).  If it were me, I would mention your previous consultation and ask the nurse if you can have the next prescription according to his weight  ;). I don’t see why you should have to pay for another vets consultation.

Quite agree, just a money spinner as far as I can see  >:(

Just wondered have you got another vets in your local area? what with worming, injections and so forth maybe the thought of them losing your valuable custom may make a difference to their attitude. (it worked for me  ;)

Offline dave w

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 08:21:03 PM »
yes i do have another vets close by , i think i will call them and ask about the charges