Author Topic: What chews/toys do you recommend??  (Read 4134 times)

Offline Katrina

What chews/toys do you recommend??
« on: October 15, 2021, 06:50:48 AM »
Hi all

Oscar is getting a little bored with the array of toys we have. I do try to rotate them, but think something new would be good.

What are your favourite chews and/or brain puzzles for puppies?

He's 18 weeks now.

Thanks!

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
Re: What chews/toys do you recommend??
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 08:10:53 AM »
My puppy has an assortment of toys.  Maisie (14 weeks) loves her squeaky hedgehog.  She has a teething ring which she is very aggressive with .The noises that come from her as she attacks it   :o  She has a tugger which she enjoys playing with too.  She has several kongs, the classic one and also a stuff a ball.  To help with her teeth she has an antler and a yak.  I also stuff the kongs and freeze them to give her variety.  With all these toys she still prefers my slippers though  :005:  and if anything drops on the floor that is always so much more interesting than her toys.  There is a plastic plant pot outside that she stole from the shed and that is another favourite toy for her.  I think it is the fact that she found it herself and knows she shouldn’t have it  :005:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline sophie.ivy

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 09:06:31 AM »
Hi Katrina!

My girl loves her nylabones - I got a 3 pack for different ages/stages and the nobbly one is her favourite to chew on. She also likes her Kong, which I stuff with kibble and peamutt butter (see what they did there!) from Pets at Home and that settles her down nicely in the evening. I find yak chews wind her up a bit, but she will chew them for ages. I haven't introduced brain puzzles yet, but am interested to see what people recommend here too :D

I did try to put kibble under small plastic cones for her to 'find it' in the living room, but the cones were a lot more exciting than the kibble!! The only thing I could trade the cone she was running around the house with like a nutter for was some grated cheese, so I've now  accidentally created an extra high value item. But at least I now know her one weakness is cheese - like puppy like owner :005:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 12:44:50 PM »
I too think the kong a good idea, filling it with things that take their time to dislodge.

Although my boy has long outgrown it.  All pets shops sell them

https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/kong-classic/productinfo/KONG/SMALL?channable=40805469640034323732ab&gclid=CjwKCAjwzaSLBhBJEiwAJSRoksNC5mFs2vo4wsnKNjQcTvT14ScqJEGv6wCypnIA47oIfQn-PpTHahoCFxgQAvD_BwE
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 07:21:19 AM »
I made a certain toy high value which only comes out when I play with Ash (now nearly 9 months)

I also don’t feed Ash’s food all from a bowl (as that is free food) she has a treat ball and flying saucer that I put her food in and she has to work for it, also each meal I start with a good handful and do training with her before she gets the ball and flying saucer

I love kongs  too - some ideas for kongs below

A little kibble to stuff the hole, a squirt of soft cheese and a shape biscuit to make it harder to get to the delicious cheese

Same as above but with a little hotdog sausage

Tuna in some natural yoghurt- make sure to put a bit of kibble in the bottom first so the tuna mix doesn’t leak out - then freeze it

There are loads you can do with a Kong without buying the Kong fillers from the shop

Chews we have tried, yak, antler, nylabone and only the yak does madam take any interest in  :shades:

Offline Katrina

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 09:56:44 AM »
Vixen - what is it with shoes?!  :lol2: we have a shoe theif here too!!  He does love a squeaky toy too.

Sophie - yes we tried the treats under cups and the cups were more interesting! I used plastic kids party cups... never again!!!

Cazza - yes I think that working for food would be best too. We started puppy classes and the trainer suggested going bowl free so we're giving it a try this week.

We do have a kong - thanks for the tips and recipes! And I'm going to try the yak sticks too. Great ideas! Thanks all!!

Offline pibbo1968

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 10:44:50 AM »
Jura has a range of toys in a box beside his bed.He chooses which one he wants if he wants any at all.He destroyed many toys as a puppy except his little teddy he brought with him :luv:
That Teddy and a Deer Antler have lasted 4 years :shades:
We stopped bowl feeding him last year.He has a snuffle mat and various kongs/balls and we stash his food in those.This was recommended by a local trainer and keeps his brain occupied :shades:
We don't give him chews but he has chicken feet/paddywack/pigs ears and bones from the butchers.

Offline MrsFlintstone

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 07:24:27 PM »
We have quite a good selection but I think it really depends on the dog. Bonny isn't interested in kongs but loves an antler and the olive wood chew stick, she likes soft toys and any kind of ball. I try and put a few away every week and bring them out in rotation which keeps things fresh for her, the same trick used to work on the kids!

Offline Katrina

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 10:25:57 PM »
Cazza - would you tell me what brand flying saucer you have? I'm looking for one but can't find one that holds food...   :huh:

Pibbo - we have a lovely box for toys. But when it's out he prefers to play with (eat!) that rather than play with his toys.  :lol2: we have an antler and he does really like that.

Mrs Flintstone - thanks for the olive wood idea. They look good!

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2021, 08:19:44 AM »
Cazza - would you tell me what brand flying saucer you have? I'm looking for one but can't find one that holds food...   

Got mine from pets at home - just done a search and can’t find it  :o

Found it here though https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7652035?storeID=823&istCompanyId=a74d8886-5df9-4baa-b776-166b3bf9111c&istFeedId=30f62ea9-9626-4cac-97c8-9ff3921f8558&istItemId=irpmlppaw&istBid=t&&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59130%7Cacid:289-152-2757%7Ccid:599609992%7Cagid:24126986217%7Ctid:pla-845620099165%7Ccrid:94168542777%7Cnw:g%7Crnd:2005686861137104260%7Cdvc:t%7Cadp:%7Cmt:%7Cloc:9046984&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=599609992&utm_term=&utm_content=shopping&utm_custom1=24126986217&utm_custom2=289-152-2757&GPDP=true&gclid=CjwKCAjw2bmLBhBREiwAZ6ugoxs_4rFq81RsSZXM2vuMFNDgdOoTRiGZGglfU2kYyHf1W-vk36PO2hoCCiwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Offline Katrina

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2021, 01:56:49 PM »
Thanks cazza!!!

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2021, 02:59:23 PM »
Another suggestion is Kong Stuff a Ball.   I’ve never seen them in the shops but you can get them on line.  I have one that is over 15 years old that I bought for my pointer.  It was called Havaball in those days. Different shape that the usual kongs.  If you smear soft cheese, cheap fish/meat spread inside, puppy can take ages trying to get every little bit out of the grooves in the side..  ;)
I have the large one.
https://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&sort=vuk&keyword=kong+stuff+a+ball
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2021, 10:32:28 PM »
Hello!
Peanut is 8 months old now and the original antler and yak are still chewed daily. She still loves the snuffle mats (kitchen rugs!) and still can’t have tennis balls as she destroys them in a minute!
Great to hear how everyone’s doing.

John

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2021, 05:54:07 AM »
Hello!
Peanut is 8 months old now and the original antler and yak are still chewed daily. She still loves the snuffle mats (kitchen rugs!) and still can’t have tennis balls as she destroys them in a minute!

John

Good to hear from you John, glad Amber is doing well

Ooo you have a ball destroyer - Ash loves to carry a tennis ball around ( but she only gets it when I do training with her, but when we are finished (training done outside and we go back in) she carries around for 5 min before it’s swapped for something else)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2021, 06:29:52 AM »
Hello!

John

Humphrey gets a bit possessive with balls so I only let him have them occasionally. I‘ve found the Chuckit balls good, they‘re very durable and are better for their teeth, The covering of tennis balls is very abrasive and if chewed a lot can damage the teeth. Chuckits also float which can be useful for games in the water (or not, as the case may be  :shades: we‘ve lost a couple downstream!  :lol2:) They‘re a bit pricier but worth it in the long run I reckon.