Author Topic: Looking for Rescue Cocker  (Read 3159 times)

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
Looking for Rescue Cocker
« on: December 02, 2021, 10:24:29 PM »
Hi,

My friend who looks after Peanut occasionally is looking for a Cocker of her own. She’s retired early and has asked me to post on here. She promises me she’ll still have time for Peanut! She’s a great fur Mum, based in Buckinghamshire, outdoors person, not bothered about type, very good with training, never wants to give Peanut back. I know she’d not be fazed about behavioural issues.
If anybody knows of a cocker needing a good home or a rescue please let me know. She’ll travel anywhere.
Thanks.
John.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Looking for Rescue Cocker
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 06:16:03 AM »
Hi,

Cocker and English Springer Spaniel Rescue are worth contacting.  They are based Stoke but rehome across the U.K.  Ask your friend to fill in the form on the website and call a couple of days later.  She will need to be home checked no matter which rescue she rehomes from.

Good luck,

Jayne

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 09:32:56 AM »
On Facebook Cocker Spaniels Needing Homes (UK) (https://www.facebook.com/groups/628946740556518) adds all cockers needing homes throughout the UK.

Spaniel Aid too rehome cockers
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 02:02:58 PM »
Thanks for the help and links. She’s filling the forms in, inspecting fencing and trying to not get her hopes up just yet. I saw a dog that keeps being returned to kennels, didn’t say anything but thought he’d be perfect, she’s spotted him too! Fingers crossed!
The rescues do an amazing job.

John.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 04:47:55 PM »
There’s a lovely older female at the Dog Trust that may be suitable.  Just wants a nice retirement home  :luv:
Older dogs have so much to offer.  :luv:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2021, 08:00:47 PM »
Spaniel Aid are very good and have a mix of dogs in.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2021, 07:32:22 PM »
If a cocker is being returned to the rescue kennels more than once,  I would be cautious.  An angelic face  hides  a possible problem.
Many Tears had a batch of ex breeders recently, if your friend feels they can be very patient with one .  After the storm damage they suffered,  they’ve had problems themselves.   The puppy farms have been offloading surplus breeding dogs and surplus five month old pups that are  are hard to sell on especially if these puppy farms have got new litters  being produced. 
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline annclare

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2021, 01:38:59 PM »
Now Christmas is all but over, I am going to make a determined effort to try and locate what will probably be my last cocker (which saddens me). I was 80 in June gone, and have had 10 (show) cockers over nearly 50 years so definitely too old to change breeds; I often say next time I come, I'll go for a different breed but I don't think that would happen as, although I love all dogs, cockers have my heart. I lost my darling Nina (approaching 14) in May 21 with Cushing's disease and now have just Matte who will make double figures in May 22. Obviously, I am not looking for a puppy but a senior around 4 - 7, preferably a bitch (I found of all the pairs I've had, female/male worked the best). I thought of perhaps signing up for fostering with Spaniel Assist and Spaniel Aid, and have just found a new to me one called 2nd Chance Cockers (from abroad??). I am still very active and have a park on my doorstep. I wonder how much my age will go against me? I would appreciate any comments. x 

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2021, 02:35:41 PM »
Good friends of mine, both in their eighties but still active,  wanted a rescue after losing both of their cockers this year (both 13).  They approached local kennels but were refused because of their age.  I felt really sorry for them as they have a wealth of experience, are at home all day and so much love to give a dog.  They would have made provision for the dog if anything had happened to them and have family who would care for it.  I was very sad for them as they then had to resort to a puppy in order to get a dog. 
I understand rescues have to be cautious but I feel every case should be judged on what the adopter can offer.  You could get a younger adopter whose circumstances may change to increased work load in the future and also may not take the dog out at all.
I also was denied a rescue when I was younger as at the time I worked 3 days a week.  I explained to the rescue that the dog would be walked before and after work and for 4 days I would be at home.  But that wasn’t good enough, I  then had to go down the puppy route which was the last thing I wanted at the time.  Fortunately the puppies I got became the absolute lights of my life - the best things ever. (ironically enough, once I had my dogs, I changed to working just half days so I could spend more time with them)
I really hope you are able to get your dog and that a rescue can see all you have to offer.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2021, 03:59:13 PM »
Have a look at https://www.saveourspaniels.org.uk/dogs-needing-homes

They are UK based and while I have no knowledge other that knowing actress Sue Johnston is their patron they do seem to foster as well.  As for the age....we came into this when looking for a cocker for my Mum who was around 77 at the time, but several weeks after she had another dog The Cocker Spaniel Club rescue and rehoming arm phoned to see if she was still interested, so might be worth a try.  https://www.thecockerspanielclub.co.uk/rescue.htm

Best wishes.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline annclare

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2021, 06:51:02 AM »
Thank you so much for your kind replies. I think my age will be my stumbling block! I will check out all the sites (the cocker spaniel rehoming and rescue scheme isn't taking applications at the moment but I'll keep checking it out) and hope I have good news to report some time soon. xx