Author Topic: Streaks In First Morning Toilet  (Read 3100 times)

Offline kobesdad

Streaks In First Morning Toilet
« on: October 21, 2023, 09:40:51 AM »
I have noticed the past few days Kobe's first poop of the day has had some very dark brown almost blackish streaks on the outside of it, it is also very dry.  Sorry for sounding gross it is in the first log the rest of it is perfectly formed etc he also moves around a bit while he is doing his first one too.  The rest of it is is fine and the poops as the day progresses are perfectly fine too it is just the first morning one.  Any advice would be appreciated.   

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Streaks In First Morning Toilet
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2023, 11:40:58 AM »
I have noticed the past few days Kobe's first poop of the day has had some very dark brown almost blackish streaks on the outside of it, it is also very dry.  Sorry for sounding gross it is in the first log the rest of it is perfectly formed etc he also moves around a bit while he is doing his first one too.  The rest of it is is fine and the poops as the day progresses are perfectly fine too it is just the first morning one.  Any advice would be appreciated.

If you are worried at all best to get it checked by a sample taken to vet...it could well be nothing, simply something he has eaten the day before, but not something I personally would venture to say is ok. and at least you will know one way or the other
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2023, 11:50:25 AM »
Are the streaks visible „other matter“ or just different coloured stripes in the poo.?
Not everything dogs eat get properly digested, they can’t break down the cellulose in  raw vegetable matter for instance which is why it comes out looking exactly the same as when it went in ( veg and fruit need to be cooked or pureed in order for them to absorb the nutrients) so if Kobe‘s eaten dead grass or leaves or whatever, maybe with soil, that could explain the dark colour.
If Kobe‘s otherwise well and active, I‘d just keep and eye out for a couple of days and see if what he‘s eating could explain it but if it continues and you’re in any doubt, take a sample to the vet and ask them to check incase its blood. My dog is raw fed and gets a variety of meats and vegetables, his pooh colour is never the same two days running, it can vary from pale yellow brown to nearly black (beetroot!  :005:) Depending on what you feed, have a look at the ingredients and see if there’s something that might be causing it but if you’re in any doubt, get the vet to check.

Offline kobesdad

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2023, 12:58:04 PM »
Thank you so much for your replies.  He is only 18 months old and is currently going thru a digging phase and eating some of the stuff he is digging up including grass and soil.  He is totally healthy alert and has a great appetite.  It is the just the very first one of the day I have noticed it is ultra dry and dark almost black streaky.  The rest of his toilets are totally normal thru the day. 

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2023, 11:38:54 AM »
If I stop and talk to anyone for more than a few minutes Willow gets impatient and first scratches the surface off the grass and then eats pure soil from underneath. No matter what colour the soil next day her toilet is almost completely black. Probably no help to you as you are referring to streaks.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2023, 09:08:06 PM »
One of my spaniels had this when she became intolerant to a food with whole grain. It improved when changed to grain free. She also reacted to chicken which is most dog food mixes.
What food do you use?
If it is just irritated by eating dirt, using little bit of slippery elm works. Or you could add a little salmon oil or coconut oil to help soften the poo.You could add a little bit of tinned sardines or mackerel.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.