Author Topic: when will puppy ask to be let out for a wee  (Read 1161 times)

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
when will puppy ask to be let out for a wee
« on: December 23, 2012, 07:17:06 PM »
Bracken is completely house trained has not had an accident indoors for a few weeks now he is 14 weeks, I just take him out regular intervals and tell him wee wees or poo poos and he goes on command, but he hasn't started to let us know himself, I was thinking leaving it for longer to see if he will let us know, what do you suggest?

Offline lettie10

• Jazz & Bailey
Re: when will puppy ask to be let out for a wee
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 07:37:41 PM »
Don't think there is a standard time as all dogs are different.

My Jazz (now 18mnths) was really good and started patting the patio door with her foot if she wanted to go out at about 16wks.

Bailey (now 6 mnths) will go to the door to be let out and will run back to me if I haven't noticed her wanting to go out but doesn't actually make any noise yet.

Try to pick up on any cues he may inadvertantly give like going to the door and praise like mad if he does and gets it right.  Good luck
"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 07:50:41 PM »
Teal was 20 weeks when she started to run to me then the door then back to me, trouble was she then decided she needed a pee every 10 bloddy minutes, I am sure she didn't actually go most of the time she just squatted to keep me happy.  ;)
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 08:25:38 PM »
Charlie has subtle hints but he doesn't actually ask :(
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline nickrachel

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 08:33:24 PM »
Burt is already asking to go out for a poo. He stands by the back door and cries. Wees are still hit and miss. He does sometimes stand by the door but understandably still has a few accidents. He's only 12 weeks old though. I tend to just leave him unless I think ooh he hasn't been out for a while, then I open the door and encourage him to go out.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 08:53:16 PM »
Jinley will go to the back door and just stare at it!  Like its going to magically open on its own :shades:  She has never vocally asked to go out!

She then tries to make eye contact so I will let her out.  I tried Poochie Bells, but that was hit and miss - she would only make them ring as I was opening the door!! :lol2: :lol2:

Pat

Offline Snoo

• Clover, DOB 17/05/11
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 08:55:53 PM »
Clover never asks - if I can't find her I look by the back door and there she usually is, hopefully looking round to see if I have guessed what she wants! She is 19 months old! Mostly I just remember to let her out at intervals throughout the day to make sure she doesn't have an 'accident'.   ;)
To know them is to love them.....

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 09:44:51 PM »
Penny usally goes twice a day and she comes ups to us and stares. We tend to take her out as she could go at 9pm and be-fine at 9.10am
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline jen1876

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 08:09:47 AM »
Jasper has a new trick...if he's really desperate to go out and we haven't noticed he turns back into the crazy slipper biting pup we had 12 months ago! It definitely gets our attention and once he's releived himself he doesn't bother anymore. Strange little man lol!

Offline karen488

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 08:15:09 AM »
Mine never do  :huh:

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 09:45:06 AM »
Molly from about 10 weeks old would jingle the keys in the back door  :luv: she still does it now and gets really miffed when the keys aren't in, so she launches herself at the door instead  :005:
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 11:48:04 AM »
Milly's always been very good about asking to go out. She starts twirling and then runs to the kitchen door and continues to twirl until it's opened. :luv:

We didn't have to teach Chaz anything, he very quickly picked up on Milly's routine and now, at six months, does exactly the same. :luv:

Slight problems can arise when they both want to go as two rotating cockers, especially when they're going in opposite directions, sometimes makes it difficult to actually get to the door to open it. :005:

Try to pick up on any signals or behaviour that Bracken may show when needing to go and work on that, lots of praise and encouragement and maybe even a small treat when he does get it right.

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 12:56:06 PM »
Different stories, thanks for the replies, hubby would like Bracken to bark as our late retiever never did!

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 01:01:24 PM »
Riley tends to go sit by the patio doors, stare out, then a little whine then a bark if its urgent.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 01:09:22 PM »
They are all different - some are good about telling you and some never do.  :-\

Coco doesn't really tell me when she needs to go out, apart from in the night when she has a special "toilet" bark which is different to the "bit bored" or "funny noise outside" bark  :005:

I just make sure she goes out at regular intervals and she will always do a wee when I ask her to.  ;)
Julie and Watson