Author Topic: Another Newbie  (Read 505 times)

Offline Macette

• Lexi
Another Newbie
« on: December 30, 2012, 02:39:41 PM »
Hi all, I am patiently waiting for my Cocker to come home. I have to wait another 2 weeks....she is a Blue Roan 6 weeks at the minute and her name is Lexi. I am trying to work out which dry food to put her on...Its a mine field out there, so any suggestions will be much appreciated, from what I have been reading High Meat and Low grain is whats recommended, so the search is on....Once I work out how to use this forum properly I hope to put some pics up. It will be great being able to get help and advice on loads of puppy problems here, so I think I have a lot to read....

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Another Newbie
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 02:50:17 PM »
Hello and welcome to COL :D

I'm Elaine, owned by 8 year old orange roan William and 3 year old blue roan and tan naughty boy Louis.

When you first bring Lexi home it will be best to initially keep her on the same food as the breeder has been feeding her, even if it's one you don't want to feed long term. Young puppies have a lot to cope with when they arrive in their new home, so keeping them on the same food for the first week or so is a good idea to help avoid an upset tummy.

Do you know what Lexi's breeder is feeding the puppies? Many breeders do a puppy pack for owners containing things like the puppy's pedigree and any other paperwork, insurance details if the puppy is already insured (usually continues for the first few weeks of ownership so you've time to sort out your own policy) and some food.

Offline pip1965

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 01:45:55 PM »
Otto came home on Skinners Field and Trial which was fine but we gradually moved him over to Salters and have never looked back .it has a high meat content and also olive oil which keeps his coat shiny

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 04:42:52 PM »
I'd stick with the same food the breeders have Lexi on, then you can change it if you want.

When I got Charlie he was 'apparently' on James Well Beloved (JWB) but he didn't touch it...he's not a kibble fan but the one kibble he does like and is apparently good is Applaws - he'll eat it occasionally (I like to keep it in for emergency/occasional changes). He's tried several kibbles, none which he'd eat - except for the applaws (I'd heard it was good and was trying to get a sample pack - incidentally I couldn't get one, but he won one in a fun dog show  :lol2: ). I'd also consider how easy it is to get the food.

OOh hello by the way, I'm Emma, and Charlie is 17 months old now :)
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)