Author Topic: Reprimanding your puppy  (Read 730 times)

Offline jobartlett

• Donator
  • Enzo Benzo.....aka wigglebum
Reprimanding your puppy
« on: January 04, 2013, 08:44:49 PM »
We have a 6 month old cocker spaniel puppy who is starting to act out. One minute he's as good as gold and the next he's pushing the boundary.

How do you reprimand your puppy and what do you think is effective?

Thanks

Jo

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: Reprimanding your puppy
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 08:59:05 PM »

Prevention is better than reprimand.
Be proactive - don't let him "fail".  So if a problem behaviour is jumping up... ask for a sit (and reward it) - a dog cannot jump up and sit down at the same time.  ;)

If the issue is ignoring, I go right back to basics.... get attention and do some very basic training exercises and build up to whatever was ignored...

If the issue is ignoring recall, praise like crazy when they do get back to you, and practise many many more much easier recalls before you attempt a recall in similar circumstances again - in the meantime get a long-line and work at keeping dog's attention on you rather than on distractions.

I will interrupt behaviour with a gentle "ah" - it's not a reprimand, but an indicator that I want her to think again... if she was about to do something and I think it's still on the cards, I'll follow up with a command to distract her.

(Honey is 5 now, but this is what I have done from pup stage, more-or-less, and certainly what I would aim to do with any future pup.  Of course there are times when my patience isn't what it should be, and I snap or shout at her, but that's my short-comings not a deliberate reprimand...  :D )
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline fionad

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 09:01:56 PM »
I agree totally with this approach. Always best to praise good behaviour and distract away from bad. It works with children too1

Offline penguins87

• My Girls- Beau,Lottie and Dora
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 10:20:26 PM »
Excellent post by karma

My three are all so different I have one that in a difficult situation will stress down and one that stresses up. I have to watch my tone and level of voice.too much I upset my nervous one  too little the other one just sticks up two fingers  ;) Eye contact is the key for my three  along with a very cheerful happy tone when I call thier name no matter what is going on . Running off with a golfers ball, a dead bit of rabbit, a sandwich from an unsuspecting picnickers ... Consistency is the key .

Keep praising the best bits .. And when they don't meet your expectations maybe lower your sights take a deep breath and start again from the begining . Six months is still very young  and boundary pushing lasts a while , you might have cracked It by six years  ;)
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his
life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the
last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such
devotion."
--Unknown

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 10:29:05 PM »
Positive reinforcement all the way - reward the good - excellent advice above :-)
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11

Offline jobartlett

• Donator
  • Enzo Benzo.....aka wigglebum
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:31:54 PM »
Thank you so much for your ideas and guidness. It's given me more options to try

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 04:46:38 PM »
As has previously been said, positive reinforcement is the way to go, and punishment is a no, no.  With my pups when they did anything that they shouldn't I said, "No", and gave them something else to distract them.  When they performed correctly I would give them lots of praise and cuddle them, or give them a reward of a doggy choc or similar.  Now, if Henry goes to do something that I don't want him to do, I just say no and make a fuss of him.  He always reacts properly to no, and is no trouble at all. 

The important thing is to be consistent.  Puppies can be very funny when they are being naughty so it's important not to reward bad behaviour.  None of my dogs have ever been destructive, and they have full reign of the house.  Nor have they ever chewed anything in the car.  Although they are very rarely left on their own, I know that if I have to go out and leave them I won't come home and find the house destroyed.