Author Topic: What length lead?  (Read 510 times)

Offline Buzby

What length lead?
« on: January 11, 2013, 12:18:04 PM »
Just wondered what you all use.  I need to get holly a longer lead as hers is only just over a metre which is great for towns but we live in the middle of nowhere and I want to giver her a bit of freedom.  Any suggestions?  She doesn't pull a whole lot yet her walks are a mix of trotting by my side, running for a while with me and pulling on the way home  :005:

Offline black taz

Re: What length lead?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 12:32:44 PM »
You can get a training line (i have a 10 metre one off ebay) which will give her much more freedom and help with training as needed - but please use a harness rather than a neck collar.  alternatively just get a long piece of rope.

Lots of people around our village use rover leads, but they dont tend to be very long. 

Offline Buzby

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 12:40:37 PM »
I have a harness that I bought for the car so no probs there.  I will see if I can pick one up this weekend
Thanks!

Offline black taz

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 01:29:32 PM »
i bought mine off ebay (in fact i have two which i sometimes joined together to make it even longer)

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 01:47:27 PM »
I use a 5ft lead for every day walking and used to have a training lead which you could shorten to  a metre lead I t was 8 foot which turned in to four feet. I think it was Ancol I  had for 11years but dropped it out walking and somebody taken it I really miss it as you could turn it in to short lead for pavement walking.
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 01:57:41 PM »
We use a rope twist lead that's just over 5ft long for normal walking and a 30ft lead for training.

Found that a lot of the flat nylon leads tend to be a bit hard on the hands, especially if there's a bit of pulling involved, but these round leads give a much better grip and don't cut into the hands so much....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006HMNWPA/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01

Offline Buzby

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 12:45:54 PM »
Well  my 10 meter lead arrived today  :banana:
She had a whale of a time!  But stayed fairly close most of the time :D
I don't think she could believe her luck! It is my imagination or is this going to help her confidence too?... ;)

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 03:21:56 PM »
Our leather leads came from ikea, we've had them 4+ years, they're longer than normal leads and I can get good control using them, also means Bella/Molly can walk ahead if need be.
My dogs are either on lead and close or off lead