Author Topic: sympathetic cockers!  (Read 722 times)

Offline arrabella

sympathetic cockers!
« on: January 19, 2013, 01:43:53 PM »
 I always Knew I had a lovely dog but I have been amazed (and delighted) to discover just how empathic cockers are. I had to have an operation  twelve days ago and was very concerned that no matter how hard I tried to teach him to not to jump up on me I was having no success, it was the same with racing down the stairs in front of me and generally being, in true cocker fashion, excitedly boisterous! Since I came back from hospital he has never once jumped up, waits patiently for me to go downstairs first and even makes sure the cat doesn't jump on me. He is my constant companion and just snuggles gently. Where would we be without them? Just shows what they can do if they want! :angel:

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: sympathetic cockers!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 01:49:26 PM »
I agree - I had surgery a few years ago and came home with a drain still in.  I was a bit worried that Coco would not be able to resist jumping up at me (especially after being away from me for the first time ever), and might even rip the tube out: but she never once jumped and all through my treatment and recovery  :luv:  She sat calmly near me, occasionally coming over to give me a nudge as if to say "are you OK?"   :D

However, once she considered I was better, she let rip with all the nortiness that she had suppressed for a year and was a bloomin' nightmare for a few months  >:( :005:

They certainly do know when something is wrong and I agree, they do show great empathy - better than most of my relatives in fact  >:( :D
Julie and Watson

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 02:07:33 PM »
Well done Cosmo :luv: and I hope your mum recovers quickly.

I'm sure they sense when they're near anybody who's a bit vulnerable. When William was younger and I was working he used to stay at my friend Maria's house when I was at work. Maria's FIL Cyril was unwell and Maria was visiting him most days and taking Ruby and William with her. William always wanted to jump up at people then but he was so careful around Cyril and used to sit patiently at the side of Cyril's chair in just the right place for Cyril to put his hand down and pat him :luv:

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 03:04:01 PM »
They are excellent nurses and companions.

Hope you get better really soon.

Well done little Cosmo. Xxx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 03:24:28 PM »
They are very empathic... a couple of years ago my friend had surgery for a perforated bowel and during her recovery myself and some other friends would go round there during the day to make sure she wasn't overdoing things. Maggie has always loved her, jumping all over her etc... but while she was recovering Maggie just laid beside the sofa where my friend was lying. Even going so far as a bit of guarding when someone Maggie didn't know came round and sat at the end of the sofa... she changed position to another seat and then Maggie was fine, went over to greet her etc... Guarding itself wasn't great - but shows how they can sense the vunerability in people.
Hope your recovery goes well  :luv:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 03:42:42 AM »
Just the other day I had a bit of a disagreement with an icy patch while walking Chaz. (The icy patch won. :shades:)

Didn't notice it at the time but Chaz walked back home perfectly while I hobbled, hirpled, limped and used a lot of technical phrases during the journey.

When we got home Dot was ministering, between giggles  :shades:, to my various bruised bits, :011: :009: while Chaz sat watching. No running in circles, no jumping up and no wanting to climb onto my lap. He just sat a few feet away and watched. His ears were pricked up, as much as a cocker can prick their ears, while his head was tilted from side to side as he watched the proceedings.
Later on, after a shower and change of clothes, I came back into the living room to find him sat in my chair. There's usually a "Chaz Down" battle of wills at this point but no, he just got down from the chair without asking and sat alongside it. He then rested his chin on my knee, looked up into my face, and started licking my hand.

For the rest of the day he was sticking to me like velcro but not, as is his usual practice, dodging in and out and generally getting in the way. He just walked alongside me wherever I went........

They know when things aren't quite right and we love them all the more for it. :luv:

PS.  Dot said I should slip on ice more often, as a training aid. >:(

Bob.

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 07:25:49 AM »
I always Knew I had a lovely dog but I have been amazed (and delighted) to discover just how empathic cockers are. I had to have an operation  twelve days ago and was very concerned that no matter how hard I tried to teach him to not to jump up on me I was having no success, it was the same with racing down the stairs in front of me and generally being, in true cocker fashion, excitedly boisterous! Since I came back from hospital he has never once jumped up, waits patiently for me to go downstairs first and even makes sure the cat doesn't jump on me. He is my constant companion and just snuggles gently. Where would we be without them? Just shows what they can do if they want! :angel:

I found this too, I was worried I'd have two manic dogs as I couldn't do anything for a few weeks, but it was quite the opposite, they would both wait for me to sit on the settee/bed and then instead of fighting over my knee would lie down nicely next too me, I'd get gentle kisses instead of being smothered and they never asked me for anything, theyd sit patiently watching me waiting for me to do what I was doing, when my dad came to take them out they both needed encouragement to go and apparently wouldn't walk or would try to come home.
And when I started going out they would walk slow and nicely, and when on the field I just sat on a bench and they'd take there throw to other dog walkers and friends instead of giving it me.
I've said it before but my dogs where a big help in my recovery