Author Topic: Eating doggie poo  (Read 528 times)

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
Eating doggie poo
« on: February 06, 2013, 03:48:14 PM »
Bracken is 22 weeks old and has been going out on walks on the common since he was 13 weeks, normally he'll try eating horse manure, dosen't like cows pac, but last two weeks he's been eating dog poo, not just any dog poo as theres loads around he is sniffing out particular ones! Anyone know why and any ideas how to stop him from doing this?

Offline jaybee

• Donator
Re: Eating doggie poo
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 05:08:20 PM »
This isn't unusual as far as i'm aware, it may just be that producers of the particularly attractive samples eat something that he finds yummy :shades:
Distraction would be your best bet i think. Be careful with horse manure, i've read on here in the past stories of dogs suffering because of worming medication and other medications in horse manure.

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 05:47:16 PM »
I have tried every trick in the book to stop Josie from doing this.  She is (luckily) very selective and only eats Suki's poo!!!
It never ceases to amaze me the lengths she will go to in order to get to Suki's poo before me.  The only way I can stop her when we are out on walks is to keep Josie on the lead until Suki goes and then pick it up.  The only problem is Suki is one of those dogs who has to go as far away as possible to poo in private  :005:  So off I go, over the field, frantically searching for it with Josie on a tight lead or she will snaffle it up before I even see it!!!  Mind you, it is an excellent way of finding it in leaves or in the dark - I let Josie find it then grab it before she does.  :005: :005:
I have tried putting pineapple in Suki's food - Josie loved it.
So all I can say is good luck and hope something works for you.
Josie has an excellent "leave it command"! - except when there is Suki poo to be found!!!
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 08:33:46 PM »
Took Harry for his first major hike today and he couldn't stop eating the sheep s***e which resulted him in having the squirts

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 06:39:56 AM »
I'm not too overally worried on Bracken eating horse or cow or sheep or bunny poo, just dogs poo, my last dog never did & Bracken never did up until two weeks ago so just wondering if there is a reason to start doing it!

Offline Macette

• Lexi
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 10:50:19 AM »
I'm not sure if Lexi is doing it or not, haven't actually caught her but had suspicion , so I'm going up to get charcoal biscuits today it's also suppose to help with stinky wind lol