Author Topic: Changes in behaviour during 1st season?  (Read 676 times)

Offline oreo

Changes in behaviour during 1st season?
« on: March 11, 2013, 02:39:55 PM »
Oreo's in season at the moment, ( been bleeding for about 10 day so far). I was just wondering about changes in temprament. She's usalluy such a confidedant dog, but she's been very clingy, and almost timid. Ie- shying away when people visit and going in her crate, scared of the hoover when she normally plays with it, and following me absolutley everywhere oh and " barking when I leave her in the house alone" which she has never done. Theres other things too but am just wondering about your experiences and how long to expect this change of behaviour? I'm doing the obvious things, taking her for shorter walks and not letting her off her lead, not that she seems very interested in walks at the mo, and I have to supervise trips into the garden as theres a dog next door even though the neighbours are aware shes in season and are being really good, when they hear us outside they call him in. She's still eating well and drinking although before her season she was sick a number of times. Is this all normal??

Offline Rowan Liver Roan

• Rowan Liver Roan
Re: Changes in behaviour during 1st season?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 07:59:24 PM »
Row an is in week 3 going to 4 of her season and is just getting back to normal. She too was very timid and even more Velcro than usual. She was also lethargic and didn't miss her walks at all, which isn't like her. She peed the bed (never in her life has she gone indoors never mind a bed. Only lasting difference just now is she's put on an inch round her back waist - I'm guessing through lack of exercise. She wanted constant belly rubs as well and moaned with pleasure all the way through them. Hope your wee one is back to herself soon.
Proud to be owned by a cocker spaniel.

Offline Tipsy252

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 09:01:03 AM »
Cassie is in season at the mo as well. The changes in her temerament are she is a lot more vocal, barking for no reason, has had a couple of accidents and is very clingy, wanting attention all the time. She also started squealing on a walk the other day, as though her "back-end" was really sore when she went for a wee. She has also gone off her normal food a bit, to the point where she is only eating one meal a day (plus the crusts from my toast!).
My question is how long does a season last, she started spotting on 28th Feb and how do I know when it is finished?

Offline nj.kingston

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 12:11:11 PM »
Hi all
What age can we expect a 1st season? Maggie is now 5 months.

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 01:01:14 PM »
Hi all
What age can we expect a 1st season? Maggie is now 5 months.

Could be anytime up to 2 years old, that's how different they are. Phoebe was 10 months, my friends cocker was 2 years
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline Rowan Liver Roan

• Rowan Liver Roan
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 08:56:25 PM »
Rowan is almost 19 months and we spent the last 13 months thinking everything that happened was a sign of it coming. I think she's had it pretty easy compared to some younger puppies. Maybe that's because she's not got other hormonal stuff going on. She also lost interest in food (well to a normal level rather than obsessive levels).
Proud to be owned by a cocker spaniel.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 04:08:09 PM »
My Inca and her daughter Bramble were just over 2 with their first, whereas Skye was only 8.1/2 months and has since had her second, she's now 17 months.

Offline oreo

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 06:48:13 AM »
Thanks everyone for your advice and experince, Oreo is still is season and is possibly getting worse with her behaviour. Super clingy, yapping a lot and is a nightmare on the little walks we do take her on. (only taking her out for a walk round the block 3-4 times a day). More worringly she's not drinking an awfull lot but still eating. Hardly had anything yesterday, so first thing this morning I gave hher a drop of milk with warm water and she had that in one go.  Fingers crossed she back to her normal self soon.  :-\