Author Topic: How fast do they grow?  (Read 1271 times)

Offline PopPops

How fast do they grow?
« on: March 03, 2013, 09:51:04 PM »

I was re reading the thread about cocker sizes and their variants, and am looking at Pops who is now five and a half months and wondering how close she is likely to be to her full final size? She's definitely broadening out the last few weeks and she's now cocker spaniel shaped in the body rather than her squarer small puppy shape. I seem to remember reading somewhere that by six months their growth is slowing down and they're not so far off their final adult size, in which case she looks like being quite a miniature cocker.   :luv:
Pops the Womble: November 2012 to February 2017. Forever loved and missed Poppet.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
Re: How fast do they grow?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 12:09:45 PM »
Charlie was pretty much there by 6 months, he did put on a smidge more weight, but not much.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline katie94

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 01:06:31 PM »
Rufus has put on around a kg since he was 6 months old, he has grown a little in height but has become a litttle broader too, he's still a skinny miny though. :luv:

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 01:12:49 PM »
Henry's been hovering just above 11kg since he was 7 months (he had a fairly steady growth rate of about 0.5kg a week before that). He's barely grown in the past three months - the vet just said that they usually just fill out a bit, don't grow much - head and body get a little bigger and more muscular. Henry plays with a dog who's 5.5 months old and is already 12.7kg - his head is bigger than Henry's and he's much more muscular. They all vary a lot!

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 01:20:37 PM »
Yes I would say Riley hasnt grown much since he was 6 months old.
Its funny as he was 14 weeks at his first cocker meet and the other cockers seemed massive.
By the next time we met he was 6 months and he was almost the size as them.
He was 13.5kg at the vets just a few weeks ago.
He too has hovered at that weight for months now.

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 01:28:41 PM »
Penny, on the other hand, was still only around the 8kg mark at 6 months and didn't reach her adult size and weight until almost a year.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline nj.kingston

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »
Penny, on the other hand, was still only around the 8kg mark at 6 months and didn't reach her adult size and weight until almost a year.
How big is she now? Maggie is 5 months and about 10kg. She's due another weigh in this week.

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 09:42:31 PM »
How big is she now? Maggie is 5 months and about 10kg. She's due another weigh in this week.

She's about 10 kilos, so quite petite.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 12:37:31 AM »
There's an age and weight chart available here   http://www.powerscourt-cockers.co.uk/advice_pages/cocker_spaniel_weight.htm    The advice I've been given is that they'll achieve their full size in inches by 9 - 12 months but may well put on more weight after that as they fill out and their muscles develop.

Bob.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 06:25:51 AM »
Yes I would say Riley hasnt grown much since he was 6 months old.
Its funny as he was 14 weeks at his first cocker meet and the other cockers seemed massive.
By the next time we met he was 6 months and he was almost the size as them.

We had Ellie out with a 5 month recently, she seemed small by comparison but when you realise how much she'd grown from even a month before, those 4/5 weeks make a huge difference.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Amus1

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 12:54:46 PM »
Doesn't it also depend on whether workers or show? The link only takes you to show cocker weights,
I found it easier finding weight comparison sites for the show strain rather than the worker as there seemed to be more difference in the workers.

Flynn was 11.2kgs at the last weigh in when he was about 8 months, he's worker strain

Offline PopPops

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 04:27:04 PM »

So interesting to hear and compare - Pops at 22 weeks is only 6 and a half kg, so either she still has a long way to go or she is going to be a rather dinky sized cocker.....  :luv:  I was looking at her alongside her 2 year old cocker friend last night and she's perhaps 3/4s Lily's size, but Lily is on the delicate and small side for a cocker too. She's half the size of another local cocker friend who is a very chunky and tall boy.
Pops the Womble: November 2012 to February 2017. Forever loved and missed Poppet.