Author Topic: antler chews  (Read 618 times)

Offline maxineh

antler chews
« on: March 26, 2013, 09:18:25 PM »
Hi 
I have an 11 week cocker girl  :luv:  Poppy. She is a real little cutie and we all love her to bits.  Doing very well at toilet training and has settled in so well.  She is my first cocker and i can already see why everyone that has one loves them to bits.  She loves her kong toys and Nylabone but someone mentioned Antler chews were good.  Has anyone used them? Not sure if they are suitable or she is too young.
Maxine

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: antler chews
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 09:32:16 PM »
Hello and welcome to COL Maxine and Poppy :D

Here's a link to the home page of one of the companies that produces antler chews https://www.antlerdogchews.co.uk/about-our-antler-dog-chews.

They do small sizes for puppies and small dogs but it doesn't say if they're suitable for puppies as young as Poppy is at the moment, so perhaps you could email them and ask.

My 2 adult Cockers like antler chews but not all dogs do, so there's also the chance that she might turn her nose up at them.

Offline jobartlett

• Donator
  • Enzo Benzo.....aka wigglebum
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 09:47:56 PM »
Hello and welcome

We have a now 8 month working cocker and he's had antler stag chews from the age of 3 months. We swear by them

The breader said it was fine also

Hope this helps
Jo

Offline MidwifeTori

• Hudson
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 10:21:56 PM »
I have a 12 wk old and he's had em since about 9 wks with no probs :)
Ps welcome !

Offline Amus1

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 10:26:41 PM »
Hello and welcome

We have a now 8 month working cocker and he's had antler stag chews from the age of 3 months. We swear by them

The breader said it was fine also

Hope this helps
Jo

We too have been giving Flynn (almost 10 months) stag bars from he same age. He doesn't constantly chew it 24/7 but it is the thing he goes to when he needs to chew something!

Rather that than me and my things! Thankfully he preferred that over chewing other things and so I think I have been EXTREMELY lucky. No chewed papers, beds, clothes, wires cushions, furniture etc here!!  :D

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 05:58:52 AM »
Antler bars and Stag bars are the same, just different company. They are brilliant for puppies and are perfectly safe. Chewing releases, feel good chemicals from the brain and this uses up energy. They last a very long time, we've only just replaced Harry's and he's had that one for 7 months. There are no additives or preservatives. Make sure you get you smallest one though for your pup you don't want to overwhelm him. Because they are natural they will come in different shapes and sizes. After a while soak it in cold water in the fridge overnight and this will help the marrow come out. Don't hold the stag bar for him let him work it out for his self.

Offline Evadee

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 07:10:20 AM »
Please don't leave your pups or dogs unattended with the stag bars or antler bars.  They do occasionally have a bit break off which is very sharp and obviously dangerous if swallowed.

We had a small piece break off the other week  ;)

Offline maxineh

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 07:12:04 AM »
Thanks for that. I will give them a go.