Author Topic: BATTLE OF THE WILLS - NO I WONT EAT MY KIBBLE  (Read 1786 times)

Offline maxineh

BATTLE OF THE WILLS - NO I WONT EAT MY KIBBLE
« on: May 08, 2013, 12:53:58 PM »
HI
Poppy has been with us for nearly nine weeks....wow how time flies. She is still a good little girl and I am keeping my fingers crossed we don't reach some milestone and she turns into a little monkey!!! ph34r
Since her 2nd injections we have had 3 bouts of runny poos and have done the chicken and rice with pro kolin.   On the 3rd occasion it didn't settle so she had to visit the vet.  She had a very nasty injection and some tablets.  When we got her at 8 and a bit weeks she was on JWB kibble with a little bit of the JWB wet pouch ( lamb one and turkey ).  This was okay for a couple of weeks then we had bout 1 of the runny poos.  After this I put her back onto the kibble and little bit of wet food and we had bout no 2. So I greatly reduced the wet pouch to just a teaspoon to mix with the kibble.  After bout no 3 the vet said she could possible have irritable bowel disease or its just the food!  Well after 5 days on chicken and rice and the course of antibiotics all is well.  I started giving her just the JWB kibble but mixing it with a little hot water to bring out the flavour.  She ate it okay for a day or so then started to leave it.  Just sniffing and walking away.  I had been in my local pet shop and they said NatureDiet mixed with kibble is very good.  Tried just a small spoonful and she eat it all and licked the bowl clean.  After a day of this her poos changed again and have got soft  :'(   Today I thought we would try just kibble again and she has left the breakfast and lunchtime meals.  grrr   Do I just stick with it and keep giving the kibble?  How long will she go without eating anything?   Feel just like a new mum again as Pups are just like babies.

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
Re: BATTLE OF THE WILLS - NO I WONT EAT MY KIBBLE
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 01:20:21 PM »
So let me get this straight you are still giving her jwb yes ?? if so I would be changing her food as my two also had the runs with jwb  >:( the are on kibble from the natural dog food company. Jwb were taken over not long go and there recipe changed slightly a lot of pups on here have had the same problem  >:( so changed and all was well  ;) x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline maxineh

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 01:38:15 PM »
Yes still on JWB dry but poos went okay whilst she ate that.  Problem now that naturediet turned them soft again so just giving plain kibble but refusing to eat it .

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 01:56:40 PM »
I would also advise changing the JWB. Archie came weaned on that mixed with nature diet and his poos were very loose. Eventually he stopped eating it too, just eating the nature diet and spitting out the kibble. I tried various kibbles but he refused to eat (even turning down the nature diet) I switched to wainwrights wet and haven't looked back. I have read on here several accounts of sloppy poos on JWB. It just doesn't seem to suit every tum. The nature diet could be a red herring.

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 02:09:34 PM »
I too have tried JWB and changed after just one small bag as puppies had runny poos. I would defo change the kibble.
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 03:58:41 PM »
If you want to feed kibble try Eden   http://uk.edenpetfoods.com     Ozzy had quite soft poos on JWB (it also made him a bit hyper) so we've changed to Eden and he loves it - most dogs seem to love it.

Offline maxineh

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 04:41:29 PM »
I am not sure the Jwb is making her soft as it was ok when she ate just the dry before I put naturediet in. Think she could just be being fussy about kibble and wanting some wet food. There are so many opinions re wet vs dry plus all the different variety's. Really at a loss what to do plus have a pup who is obviously hungry as after scraps when peeling veg but is just sniffing kibble and walking away.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 04:48:53 PM »
Archie was ok at first on JWB too. I think trying a different kibble would be my first step. Lots of dogs get on with JWB and lots don't. At least if you try something else you will know one way or the other. I think Eden has to be ordered online (?) but a similar quality is Applaws. This was the only kibble Archie would eat. I got it from Pets at Home. If you really want to stick to JWB even though Poppy is not keen on it, then you could try a different wet food to make it interesting. I can really recommend Wainrights.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 04:49:43 PM »
I am not sure the Jwb is making her soft as it was ok when she ate just the dry before I put naturediet in. Think she could just be being fussy about kibble and wanting some wet food. There are so many opinions re wet vs dry plus all the different variety's. Really at a loss what to do plus have a pup who is obviously hungry as after scraps when peeling veg but is just sniffing kibble and walking away.

As Archie bean says - sometimes they just go off it, especially if they think that there is something more appealing on offer, and that's why I suggested Eden as it seems that most of the dogs I've heard of who try it, love it.

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 05:30:17 PM »
A bit like kids, if they think there is something better then they will hold out for it. JWB has had a lot of press about loose poos so I would defo change it. I use Autarky which is additive free and well priced. I have done a lot of research on kibble and what is in it, having 10 dogs I need something that is quality and value for money. I have yet to find anything better
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 06:01:49 PM »
Maxineh - have you been reading this thread - much the same thing I think  http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=104312.0 

Offline maxineh

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 08:15:35 PM »
Just had a read PipH- similar story.  Agree If I can't get her to eat it then need to change but just so many choices- wish you could get samples but then I know if you change over you need to do it gradually so can end up trying out a few different ones.  Got some ideas now from all your posts.  Reminds me of the palaver with formula milk for my son !  Earlier on she came looking at me whilst I was in the kitchen so gave the JWB kibble a go for the 3rd time today ......she cleared the bowl and looked for more.  Maybe just being fussy hoping for tastier morsels.  Knew she was starving as I also hadn't given her any treats today.  Going to see how it goes and then look to change to a new one as recommended.   Tomorrow's another day  :005:

Offline airyfairy76

• Site Member
    • Facebook page: A Spaniel's Tail
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 09:30:59 PM »
Lottie is another one on Eden - I used to struggle to get her to eat all her food, particularly her kibble, but since moving to Eden, it's been cleaned out bowls all tne way (I do give her a little Naturediet with it occasionally, but only about a tenth of a tray, or so,eti,es a sardine in tomato sauce which she liuuurvea).

You can get a 400g sample of Eden for £5 including postage, from their website.  Not sure about samples for other brands, but would be surprised if you couldn't.

Offline maxineh

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 09:36:18 PM »
thanks will see about getting a sample  ;)

Offline Abbi

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 09:40:26 PM »
Most dog food companies will send you free samples if you ask, if you want to try different ones. Often they will eat the sample, as it's different, but then 'go off' this kibble after a little while too if they know they might get tastier things added or given instead. I've had a dog with lots of eating problems and feeding was a stress for 3 years. I now raw feed and now have a dog that is excited at meal times (something that I still find amazing to see!)

Check out www.whichdogfood.co.uk to check out what is in each dog food and how healthy it is.