Author Topic: Working up to leaving her alone?  (Read 681 times)

Offline ATB

Working up to leaving her alone?
« on: May 28, 2013, 02:32:09 PM »
I've made a rod for my own back, as I've never left Penny alone for even a short length of time. Until now my opinon was that as a tiny puppy she shouldn't be left alone. Now she's getting older I know I really should be able to leave her for a couple of hours at a time if need be. We went to the cinema at the weekend, and I dropped her at my brothers on the way, really I'd like to be able to leave her at home for short peroids like that.

When she is put in her crate when I am doing something nearby she makes a huge fuss to get out incase she misses something. She has only very recently started going into her crate herself when she wants for a snooze, but when I leave the room she wakes up and follows me. If I close over the door when I return she's usually quiet but sitting up awake.  When she's awake and I've left her alone while I pack the car I can hear the noise from outside, although I've not tried leaving while she's been asleep, I'd hope she's maybe settle herself back down.  When she was younger on advice from puppy books I used to leave the room, and close the door, but when I returned a couple of minutes later she'd usually done the toilet behind the door which I believe is a sign of separation anxiety??

How do I start getting her used to the idea that she will be fine herself for a little while and that we will be coming back!  Is it right that dogs don't have a concept of time, so me nipping to the loo or going out for an hour would seem the same to her?  Also practical aspects, she is much more willing to sleep in the crate if her bed is in there, and at night she settles immediately, but when I'm there and have put her in during the day, she starts to chew the bed and rip the stuffing out. So while I know leaving the bed in there would help her settle, I'd not want her to be at any danger from eating stuffing. Also do I leave her water in a coop cup or would tha only mean she needed a wee sooner? I've tried a Kong, but she totally ignores it when it's in the crate!

How do I start getting her used to the idea that she will be fine herself for a little while and that we will be coming back!

Sorry it's such a long post!!!

Offline jonnytrabant

Re: Working up to leaving her alone?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 02:53:54 PM »
Like you said " you've made a rod for your own back" but all is not lost, you just have to take itin small steps. Start by leaving the room and telling her, make sure you shut the door so she knows your gone. Even at first just stay behind the door, quietly of course then when you go back in make the most unbelievable fuss over her, but don't go in if she's crying as shell soon learn that crying equates to attention. If you've got a iPad or other tablet try videoing her when you leave just to see what she does. When I first left Harry he was crying, but after a few minutes he soon stopped and settled. Cockers are crafty little sods and it's amazing how much, as young as they are, they do know. As for time scale, I don't think dogs have any concept of time, other than meal times when they always seem to know. Harry is just the same whether we leave him for 5 mins or 5 hours.

Offline rednblack

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 03:14:26 PM »
I would always leave a coop cup of water, at Penny's age she should be fine with that.  Have you tried vet-bed instead of a stuffed bed?  My pup rips up the lovely soft cushions and cosy beds, now he has a big piece of vet-bed over the bottom of his crate, and a smaller piece as a snuggler and he can't rip or chew it even though he does lots of digging and scrunching.
Remembering Rex, Janna, Toni, Billy, Rufus and Ebony - gone beyond recall.

Offline Juno

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 03:16:34 PM »
... then when you go back in make the most unbelievable fuss over her.

I find the opposite works.  My dog's two but about 6 months ago started barking when I left her.  I give her a kong 10 mins before I leave and completely ignore her in the 5-10 mins prior to me leaving and the first few minutes when I get home.  That way there's no "panic" that I'm leaving and no "super excited" when I get back - her mood is more level.  In fact, she doesn't even get off the sofa when I open the door now.  I'd quite like a huge welcome but it doesn't work for us.

I've no idea what triggered it but she used to start barking her head off as soon as she heard me lock the back door so for a few days I walked out the door, locked it, came straight back in whether she was barking or not and completely ignored her (washed my hands, opened the fridge, pretended to do anything but acknowledge her :lol2:).  In and out like a yoyo and after a couple of days she realised that I was usually coming right back and her anxiety level dropped and so did the barking.

What have you been putting in her kong?  Is it something really easy to get out like a smear of squeezy cheese or a little peanut butter?  

Does she have another bed in there when you leave her?  Or some blankets?  You could also try putting a tshirt you have worn in there to comfort her and maybe a favourite soft toy to keep her company?

Offline Walshies

• Fudge - our lovely chocolate boy
    • Masarnen Ramblers
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 03:24:22 PM »
I agree with Jonny - all is not lost.  They have no real concept of time at all except for when they are due their nosebag or it is head down time! Fudge's body clock concerning all things food is amazing.

Put your coat on and leave the house and then come back in in say 10 mins (if all is quiet) and generally build up from there - eventually Penny will realise that you are not going for long and that you will always come back for a big fuss and stuff.  For instance, whenever we leave Fudge at home in his den if we wander up the pub or leave him in the car for short periods, you can tell he does not like it because he has a big gob on him and his ears droop but he does not kick off thankfully - just gets his head down. He is the greediest dog in Christendom but when we leave him he will not take a treat either - as if to say "No way - you can't buy your freedom with a gravy bone"!

Of course the best bit is when we return - you cant put a price on that.  Lots of bottom wobble and big licks all round.

Other people may have other ideas but this has worked for us.  Best of luck with it.
Check out our website at www.masarnenramblers.com

Offline ATB

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 03:52:21 PM »
She has Vetbed on the bottom of the crate then her blanket when her actual soft bed isn't in there, so that should be ok for her to be left on, it's more the fact that she settles better (and goes into crate herself) when her bed is in there, but never when it's just vetbed and blankets!

I've been putting her kibble in the kong, mashed up a bit then frozen, I tried a bit of peanut butter last night and she just kept carrying it over to me as if to say - we'll you've not put anything in it mum! She normally loves her Kong but it doesn't interest her when she's shut in the crate with it. Maybe if I go out for ten mins she'll give in and start to eat it?

Thank you for all your suggestions so far, I realise I only have my self to blame for this!

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 04:50:08 PM »

Hi

Leave her now :o she'll be fine, just keep increasing the time you leave her if she's comfortable with it :shades: extend it as required ;)
As part of her training you could command her to "stay" when you go upstairs or to put some washing on the line :police: and give her loads of praise when she completes the exercise :clapping: :luv:

I used to put mine in her crate with the door open but the bedroom door closed :shades: and hide some treats in/under toys or any other objects in the room :005:
Miya (my pup) is a working Cocker so very rarely barks but just be sure Penny goes to the loo before you leave ;)

Mel.

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 01:54:22 PM »
He is the greediest dog in Christendom but when we leave him he will not take a treat either -

Of course the best bit is when we return - you cant put a price on that.  Lots of bottom wobble and big licks all round.

I am positive Fudge and Harry are twins.

Offline Walshies

• Fudge - our lovely chocolate boy
    • Masarnen Ramblers
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 06:00:20 PM »
He is the greediest dog in Christendom but when we leave him he will not take a treat either -

I am positive Fudge and Harry are twins.

Must admit I have thought the same!  Does Harry sit in the kitchen while his Mum cooks in the hope that something will be dropped on the floor into the "Fudge zone" and also does he try to get into the dishwasher?
Check out our website at www.masarnenramblers.com