Author Topic: Help & advice urgently needed please.  (Read 4832 times)

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Help & advice urgently needed please.
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2013, 04:09:39 PM »
Just taken a photo of the little minx, so I will post it as soon as I find the right message board to put it on!  :blink:

afraid there is not a  >:D >:D board  :005: :005:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2013, 04:12:35 PM »
So glad things seem better today.  :D

Info on photo posting is here. http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=15703.0

You need to join a hosting site like photobucket, it isn't possible to post direct to the forum.
Can't wait to see the little troublemaker cherub.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2013, 04:18:20 PM »
Just caught this thread, and glad your feeling so much brighter today and as everyone says it does get easier.

Offline lettie10

• Jazz & Bailey
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2013, 04:19:11 PM »
Hi Eva-Rose

I am in Uxbridge, Middlesex so not close to you.  I don't want anything for the pen I will just be happy that someone else is making use of it and if it helps your situation then all the better.

It folds down to flatish square box and weighs about 5kg so shouldn't be much to post.  anyway, I am more than happy to send it so just message me your address and I will get it to you to try.  I found it quite good for training as when Bailey became too boisterous or over tired in she would go but she could still see what was going on around her.

She invariably either went to sleep or soon learnt that being quiet = out of the pen.  I also fed her in the pen to start with (to separate her from my other cocker and to stop them eating each others food) so she also was very happy to go in there.

Glad to hear you are feeling better about things, once a cocker gets under your skin you will have all the cuddles you can handle and some :005: :005:
"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2013, 05:06:46 PM »
I fed Toby on Royal Canin for a while and he did really well on it.  I then changed him to a completely natural kibble, which he's been on for well over a year and he's doing great on that too.

Hang on in there.  Toby was completely different from my other two cockers and nearly drove me mad, as well as biting me all day every day until he was about six months old.  We lost a precious boy 8 months previously and although I knew no dog could replace him, it was still a massive shock to have one so opposite.

Now though, he's turned into a lovely boy (he's 27 months) .  Very mischievous and playful and confident too and quite obedient (most days).  :005:  We couldn't be without him.  

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline PopPops

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2013, 05:11:19 PM »
So happy you've got some sleep and things are looking better!  :bigarmhug:  I ended up in tears more than once in the first few weeks with Pops, but they do grow and change so fast in the first few months and the plus sides start to show more and more.

Very sorry to hear about Moby, how devastating for you.
Pops the Womble: November 2012 to February 2017. Forever loved and missed Poppet.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2013, 05:46:48 PM »
Just noticed that you mentioned her food. I'm not an expert on raw feeding, plenty of people on here are though so they will be able to step in and correct me. I think I'm right in saying that you shouldnt mix raw and cooked (kibble or wet food) in the same meal. It's fine at different meals though. They are digested at different rates so I'm wondering if that could be a factor. There are lots of feeding threads here to help you and www.whichdogfood.co.uk is an excellent site for comparing different foods. My Archie had Royal Canin for a while but he was totally hyper on it so I had to switch.

Offline louisedi

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2013, 08:11:50 PM »
hope all works out ok with your pup, like Jane says any gd breeder will have her back,one of my pups has gone too a lady down near colchester, she may be able too advice you, she is on the forum, her boy is called Jayj,

Offline williamsmum

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2013, 11:06:36 PM »
So glad to hear that you are feeling more positive after a good night's sleep. It all sounds really encouraging.  :luv:

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2013, 01:06:44 PM »
Have been reading this thread with interest but I haven't commented at all as I feel that everything that I would have said had already been said by others.  But - have the puppy-pen!!!  We found it was a godsend with Ozzy. We bought one of Pets @ Home plastic beds and used old towels as a pad (easily washed!), and put it inside the pen, and then put newspaper on the floor of the pen. Then it's just a case of folding up the newspaper and binning it in the morning, but it looks like you've discovered that already!  I think a plastic bed would be better for your pup than just a blanket on the floor,  she probably wouldn't be able to move it. (she might drag the bedding out though!)  I NEVER, EVER reckon to get up to a puppy in the night, unless I know that they are ill - a good night's sleep is essential to cope with a challenging puppy, a bit like coping with a newborn baby in the house. 
Ozzy graduated to a crate when we were sure that he was able to go all night without weeing or pooing.
Please remember that your puppy is not doing all this stuff to spite you - she's probably picking up on your grief about Moby and she really does have no control at all of her bladder or bowels - it's a case of 'I need to go NOW - whoops, too late'!!!

Good luck with everything - just know that you aren't alone - cocker pups seem to be the most challenging of all breeds.

Offline lettie10

• Jazz & Bailey
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2013, 03:42:56 PM »
Just to let you know - puppy pen posted today, Parcel 48 so should be with you by Wed latest.

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Offline Lovely

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2013, 09:53:28 PM »
Just read through this thread, I think you're amazing in your honesty about how you've been feeling, and I think the COLers who've responded with so much advice and support are amazing too! I have Lovely who is around 10 months old, I already had a 7 yr old Border Terrier who was a piece of cake in comparison to Lovely, he never messed in his crate etc etc. I have been lucky in the respect of having had mad springers in the past so kind of knew what to expect but I didn't have the added stress of grieving for a beloved dog at the same time as dealing with a crazed pup. I'm not sure if you're able to take your littlun out for walks yet, but I'd say that once you are able to do that, things begin to get a little easier as it helps tire them out, gives mental stimulation and also is enjoyable for you. Lovely is now the most cuddly, loving dog, and she was a right little nipper as a youngster. The droopy ears do have a habit of collecting random bits of food, greenery, mud etc but they are also very soft and squidgy and sooo nice to stroke once your pup will sit still long enough! You sound like such a caring person, I really hope things continue to improve, I have loved every dog that has come into my life in a different way, just like special people I guess, so your feelings will be different, you just can't compare 2 individual dogs, you will grow to love her little foibles x
Ali

Offline williamsmum

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2013, 10:16:12 PM »
I so agree with everything that Lovely has said. Great post and full of good advice.

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2013, 12:57:57 PM »
Hope things are improving?  :bigarmhug:

Offline fiona2

• Donator
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2013, 02:22:39 PM »
how are things now?