Author Topic: Sting!  (Read 343 times)

Offline Lesley M

Sting!
« on: July 09, 2013, 05:41:56 PM »
Just noticed my little man has a swollen mouth one side and think it may have been a wasp or bee sting from our walk earlier.. One of those problems I suppose when you've constantly got your nose to the ground! He doesn't seem to bothered and has let me press it with out crying..Is there anything I can do or need to watch out for... This being a new cocker mum is quite stressful at times I panic more with my little man than when I had my children Lol  :luv:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Sting!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 06:53:40 PM »
Hope he's OK :luv: but watch him carefully if the sting is inside the mouth as occasionally stings in the mouth can cause a severe reaction with swelling that can inhibit breathing severely, plus some dogs (not many I believe) can suffer the same sort of extreme reactions that some humans do and go into anaphylactic shock.

What's much more likely is a bit of swelling and some discomfort for a few hours. Giving a child size dose of Piriton can help, but note that for dogs it has to be Piriton, not the non-drowsy products such as Piriteze.

If the sting isn't in his mouth you could also treat with Bicarbonate of Soda if it's a bee sting or Vinegar if it's a wasp sting.

Offline lettie10

• Jazz & Bailey
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 07:37:09 PM »
My Jazz did this as a pup, same as you no yelp or anything out of the ordinary but had a nap and woke up with a swollen face :dunno:

I was a new cocker mum then so rushed her off to the vets only to be charged £37 to be told that as the swelling had already come out that it would go down on its own >:D >:D >:D

Just keep an eye on him though just in case

Gotta luv em :luv:
"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Offline Lesley M

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 07:44:50 PM »
Thank you x Just given him an extra little walk & he seems fine thankfully :luv: One less stressed cocker mummy.  :005: