Author Topic: Not the best award... :(  (Read 847 times)

Offline Sharpie

• Donator
Not the best award... :(
« on: July 17, 2013, 08:17:25 AM »
Daisy was with our excellent dog trainer yesterday whilst I had to be out for the whole day. The trainer rang me at 4pm to say she though D had a grass seed stuck in her ear...

Thankfully our vet is open late on a Tuesday so off we went...(waiting room full of spaniels with the same issues!)

Anyhow, to cut a long story short- after local anaesthetic (and a muzzle bless her)- the vet pulled out 4 huge grass seeds from her ear..all "fresh"...

He said she won the award for the "most he had removed from an ear this year" (so far...)

Good job the trainer was vigilant and the vets was open..

And Daisy was very brave...she was in obvious discomfort, but she let the vet go in 4 times...I was v proud of her.

I seem to spend ages every evening pulling these things out...a trip to the clippers is already booked in...

Offline chrisnjulie

Re: Not the best award... :(
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 09:25:39 AM »
Oh what a shame ....glad she's ok now ! Bloomin grass seeds get everywhere . I've just been pulling those sticky balls out of my dogs coat before they started matting her fur up ...

They can cause so much trouble those grass seeds ....think I will start checking after every walk in long grass from now on !
Julie , Chris , Sadie the Clumber Spaniel ,Henry the cocker and Brody the cocker
                     x x x

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 09:31:33 AM »
http://www.shansartcockerspaniels.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81&Itemid=85

:D

Cannot recommend these more. £4.99 vs a trip to the vets?  :luv: The lady who sells them is lovely, I received mine next day.

Yesterday I found 2 x foxtail seeds after we got home....hooray for the snood!!!  :banana:

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 10:23:08 AM »
They are evil things  >:D >:D

I'd suggest that the groomer clips the inside of her ears as well as between her pads and toes (very short).  I do this with my two every summer and it does seem to help.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 12:21:15 PM »
http://www.shansartcockerspaniels.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81&Itemid=85

:D

Cannot recommend these more. £4.99 vs a trip to the vets?  :luv: The lady who sells them is lovely, I received mine next day.

Yesterday I found 2 x foxtail seeds after we got home....hooray for the snood!!!  :banana:

I got ours last year, although not for grass seeds (he's not a fan of grass seeds)...I got one for night time wees....I was fed up of him going outside getting wet ears and then smacking me in the face with damp ears in bed  :005:. We have used it for long grass since :lol2:
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Sharpie

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 12:03:13 AM »
A Snood it is then!! Will order one ASAP!! Thanks for the tip!

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 09:54:33 AM »
A Snood it is then!! Will order one ASAP!! Thanks for the tip!

Quite welcome! I couldn't recommend Troods Snoods more highly  :luv:

Offline Cam1

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 08:13:48 AM »
Thanks for the snood link! I've never come them  them before. I have never had a grass seed problem because I mainly walk in woods but really fancy a waterproof one for when it's very muddy. Thanks

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 12:54:30 PM »
So sorry to read this.  Poor thing.  One grass seed is enough at a time.

Hope little one is recovering well.  I HATE evil grass seeds and the pain they put our dogs through. X
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx