Author Topic: Have to stop this. Any advice welcome.  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
Have to stop this. Any advice welcome.
« on: July 18, 2013, 11:44:42 PM »
Bonnie has started to eat cat poo at such an alarming rate I'm at a loss as to what to do.

As its only cat poo (fingers crossed), it is hard to spot in advance and she usually pops out of a bush with some in her mouth. Treats do not work-its as if cat poo is the highest value treat, ball distraction does not work, she will not recall once she has any and she lunges away from me as I try to get her on the lead away from it. I had to walk away until out of sight tonight and she only came to find me when she had finished it. We cannot use a long line or extender lead as she bites them continually to the point of frenzy.

This is just such a disgusting habit and she absolutely stinks. I am at a loss as to why she has suddenly started doing this. Its every walk this week and I've been putting her on lead when we go past a spot that she found some in before plus changing routes but she is still finding it constantly. Why has this behaviour increased so suddenly? Any advice please as she will be banned from the house soon if I can't stop this because she really, really, really stinks to the point of making me feel sick :016:

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
Re: Have to stop this. Any advice welcome.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 06:11:36 AM »
Ah it's the pits isn't it  >:( >:(

Millie has puked it onto the living room carpet before and completely ruined a day out as she had was producing the most horrific burps while travelling in the car  :020: :020:

I can pull her off once she's found it but she always gets a good mouthful first!

You could try muzzling her for a while? I now just avoid the area where I know there is likely to be some or keep her on lead until we're past it.

They will sometimes eat poo if there is something missing from their diet so you might want to look into that, I tried Millie on the tablets you can get for it but it didn't really make a difference.

Millie

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 06:21:04 AM »
I ust think some dogs like the taste  ph34r :020: ive tried everything with Ella but she still will eat ANY poop if she gets the opportunity , I don't know of an effective way to stop them sorry
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 06:44:42 AM »
I'm in the same boat as you, mostly it's fox poo, certain dog poo & cat poo if it's in the garden, they are high value to them, smelly sardines don't work, bracken's habit is just on one nature reserve any where else he dosen't do it, wish I knew the reason why? On the reserve that is the problem he is on an extending lead! Hoping he'll grow out of it, in the meantime he is on the best worming stuff out!

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 06:46:51 AM »
Also vet advise muzzle or lead, Bracken's happy on the lead, vet said he'd probably use the muzzle as a poo masher anyway!

Offline Redked

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 12:43:04 PM »
Yes its the pits. I really can't stand the smell, not to mention the health implications for Bonnie. Marie, I think its going to have to be lead walking for now but I'm hoping I can do something to stop it. I would hate using a muzzle on her. I was thinking it might be because of the heat that she can smell it more? I might pop her to vets but I doubt they can do anything. Thanks for the replies and let's hope they do grow out if it :-\

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 01:22:12 PM »
Yes I don't like the muzzle as Bracken is not a nasty dog, be nice if they invented different coloured muzzles so we can identify why they are used, eg: yellow give me space, blue: I scavenge etc! I was hoping because Bracken only has this problem on this particular reserve was not to take him on there for a long time, hoping he's forget but I.ve been told they have good memories!

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 01:46:02 PM »
Yes I don't like the muzzle as Bracken is not a nasty dog, be nice if they invented different coloured muzzles so we can identify why they are used, eg: yellow give me space, blue: I scavenge etc! I was hoping because Bracken only has this problem on this particular reserve was not to take him on there for a long time, hoping he's forget but I.ve been told they have good memories!

Wow that's a good idea!

Millie

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 02:26:27 PM »
Oh God, Buckley foraged and consumed  :020: dried up cat poo  :020: on our evening walk last night, when I got him home to brush him his breath  :020: was all over me. I was heaving, so in the end gave him a small meal with dried mint in it, to take away the smell  :020:

:dunno:
Have to be one step ahead of him regarding fox/cat poo. Wasn't last night.

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 03:46:58 PM »
I can never be fast enough, even on the long line he can still get it if I'm not watching!

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 04:11:06 PM »
The Vet describes cat poo as "caviar for dogs" - dogs can be disgusting creatures at times >:D Pearl loves to raid the litter tray and bring her prize downstairs to eat on the living room rug - and then would really like a cuddle after - yuk >:D

I have a product in the house that makes it taste bitter to the dog which you put on cat food - not much good if Bonnie is finding cat poo that you have no control over....

Cat poo is very high in protein so it may be worth looking at her diet.  Having said that, she may just like the taste and of course, its great for attention (no such thing as bad attention in dog world ;) ).

Just to cheer you up - the Vet assures me that cat worms (esp. Tape) are not zoonotic - doesn't stop me using Advocat monthly with Milbemax mid month :005:

Offline Redked

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 06:01:44 PM »
We've just taken Bonnie to vets-he said exactly the same Pearly! Cat poo is high in protein and they love it. Bonnie weighs 10.5 kilos now so she is thriving on it  :005:  He suggested brushing her teeth after-said 'wipe your finger round if you can't use a brush' I'm not putting my finger in there after cat poo  :shades:

I might try some mint in her dinner BeeBoo just to see if that helps her breath. I'm still finding it quite revolting, no matter how 'delicious' they find it  :020:

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 08:58:31 PM »
He suggested brushing her teeth after-said 'wipe your finger round if you can't use a brush' I'm not putting my finger in there after cat poo  :shades:

Sorry Kerry but this made me smile.  I'd be loathed to do that also.  If it's the teeniest consolation, Toby was a garbage disposal unit on four legs at that age as well.  I used to remove "stuff" from his mouth only to find out it was poop.  :020:  Ugg.  However (and I hope i'm not tempting fate here) all he does now is the occasional sniff then walks away.  He hasn't eaten it for months, in fact more than a year.  Hopefully Bonnie will grow out of it before long.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Redked

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 09:03:01 PM »
Oh I really hope so Mel. Thanks for giving all 'poo-munching' puppy owners some hope x

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 09:07:20 PM »
Oh I really hope so Mel. Thanks for giving all 'poo-munching' puppy owners some hope x

Honest Kerry, he gobbled it all like he hadn't been fed for a month but now almost total disinterest in it. Xx

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv: