Author Topic: (Newbie here) Going to see cocker puppies on sunday...  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Helly D

Re: (Newbie here) Going to see cocker puppies on sunday...
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 11:40:42 PM »
Go and see the pups but be prepared to walk away. It can be really hard to do this if you see them. I was tempted many years ago when we went to visit my parents and sister who were staying on a farm for a holiday. There was a litter of cocker pups which were lovely but bitch not a good specimen of the breed and I wasn't impressed with how they were kept. I had my mum and sister egging me on but hardened my heart, despite one little cocker pup deciding she wanted to be my dog  :016:

A year later I got Rosie after doing loads of research. We had to go on a 280 mile round trip to get her but so worth it. She is nearly 15 1/2 now.

Offline anglofrenchie

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 11:52:38 PM »
Absolutely caution is the word!

I recall a few years ago when my sister in law bought a schnauzer puppy from a 'suspicious breeder' (really seemed like a puppy farm since they were several breeds and litters on the site and the mum was not seen as she was unwell) and the puppy was constantly ill with diarrhoea. Not fun for the poor pup or my sister in law.

However i am still going to go as the litter could be fine after all. And a face to face chat will inform me a lot better than a 5 minutes phone call. Bu if i have any doubt concerning the mum or the way the pups have been raised so far i will walk away.

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 07:57:53 AM »
Absolutely caution is the word!

I recall a few years ago when my sister in law bought a schnauzer puppy from a 'suspicious breeder' (really seemed like a puppy farm since they were several breeds and litters on the site and the mum was not seen as she was unwell) and the puppy was constantly ill with diarrhoea. Not fun for the poor pup or my sister in law.

However i am still going to go as the litter could be fine after all. And a face to face chat will inform me a lot better than a 5 minutes phone call. Bu if i have any doubt concerning the mum or the way the pups have been raised so far i will walk away.

Just be aware that walking away from a litter of tiny pups can be very hard. To be honest, if I heard 'breeding for curiosity/fun' I would have put the phone down on the 'breeder' there and then.  That together with them being worker/show crosses (as I'd done my research and knew I wanted show) and no sign of the breeder mentioning anything about PRA/FN, I would already be back on the hunt for a reputable breeder.
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2013, 09:00:47 AM »

Just be aware that walking away from a litter of tiny pups can be very hard. To be honest, if I heard 'breeding for curiosity/fun' I would have put the phone down on the 'breeder' there and then.  That together with them being worker/show crosses (as I'd done my research and knew I wanted show) and no sign of the breeder mentioning anything about PRA/FN, I would already be back on the hunt for a reputable breeder.
Agree with this. Finding the right puppy from a responsible breeder may take longer, but remember you will have your dog for 12-14 years. The initial wait will be worth it. Also, responsible breeders will offer ongoing support and advice and will usually take dogs back that they have bred should owner circumstances change. Many puppy buyers also assume that just because mum and litter are raised in the house that this automatically suggests responsible breeding. There are a plethora of other aspects to careful breeding - of which housing them indoors is possibly the most basic. I'd suggest going to see a number of breeders - that way you'll be able to compare the way things are done and learn about the breed and the two types. Good luck whatever you decide.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »
Once you see them it will be really hard to walk away cos they will be cute as ninepence that's for sure. But there are so many pups out there. Also you will be tempted because you may think that you will be able to look after the pup better than anyone else and give him/her a good life but honestly if there are helath problems in the parent it will bring heartache for you down the line. Best of luck with your search though. What area of the country are you in if you don't mind my asking?
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 11:48:56 AM »
This breeder is careless, she is breeding dogs that are at risk of being unsuitable for pet homes, she relies on people who don't know what to look for or don't care where they get their puppy from as caring and knowledgable owners who had researched before looking for a puppy would not go to her. She is breeding for convenience and has put her girls and the puppies lives at risk for a bit of fun  :-\.
Cayley.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2013, 12:06:27 PM »
Hi, sorry to throw a spanner in the works and cause more debate, but how come there is a huge market for Sprockers, Cockerpoos etc etc?  Are these not the same??  

I agree that it is irresponsible to breed from unhealthy dogs but if they are both healthy (and health tested) how can they be deemed as irresponsible?  I also thought that originally, working cockers / show cockers / springer spaniels were all the same, it is humans that have messed about with the genetics.

Just my opinion

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2013, 12:13:08 PM »
Can I suggest you ring the breeder and ask her for the Kennel Club registered names or numbers of the sire and dam of these puppies.  If she can't or won't then run a mile, honestly.

If you get them, type that info into here:

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/public/mateselect/test/Default.aspx

It says "mate select" but it gives details and results of any tests done.

I can't stress enough how important it is to get a pup from tested parents, not only for the pup's sake, but also yours and your family's should any problems arise in the future.

Good luck.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2013, 12:33:25 PM »
Hi, sorry to throw a spanner in the works and cause more debate, but how come there is a huge market for Sprockers, Cockerpoos etc etc?  Are these not the same?? 

I agree that it is irresponsible to breed from unhealthy dogs but if they are both healthy (and health tested) how can they be deemed as irresponsible?  I also thought that originally, working cockers / show cockers / springer spaniels were all the same, it is humans that have messed about with the genetics.

Just my opinion

A lot of us heavily disagree about the market for designer dogs... People buy these because they believe (wrongly) that they are healthier than pedigrees/don't shed; or even worse - because they have a ridiculous name so I can't really see a comparison. And that's not mentioning the motives of the 'breeders'. I would only ever have a dog from a reputable breeder. It's not just about health, there are a whole load of things to consider such as temperament. My parents went out and bought a dog (half working/show) from a dodgy breeder and he developed severe behavioural problems very early on. It's just not worth the risk IMO.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2013, 03:52:34 PM »
Do be careful - I bought my first cocker many years ago from a breeder in Lincolnshire. I did feel that because the puppies would be KC registered that this would be a good breeder.  However the parent weren't health tested and unfortunately my lovely dog died just before her first birthday from FN (familial Nephritus).   :'(

Health tested parents are a must.

Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Newcockerparents

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2013, 04:26:07 PM »
Hi

We are (I suppose were now out boy is 6 months old). I downloaded the kennel club ap which has all the tips and questions for the breeder. I found our boy through a breeder on the KC site. We were so lucky, our breeder has been amazing, we still swop photo's, I can phone her for tips. Not sure where you live, but she is on the norfolk/Suffolk border and her other cocker (not Jake's mum) is due puppies in September.

Good luck

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2013, 04:37:11 PM »
There is so many things that tell you if a breeder is irresponsible. Mating any dogs together, selling to anyone with the cash, having to many puppies, not testing their bitches and other things.
Cayley.

Offline Rowan Liver Roan

• Rowan Liver Roan
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2013, 06:06:06 PM »
The other reason to make sure they are KC reg (even if they are 'only' for pet) is to save the poor mother being used to fire out a litter every season instead of resting in between (per KC specification). Many breeders tell you both parents are KC reg so you know the pup is full pedigree but one of the most common reasons not to register a litter is because the poor bitch is being bred incessantly  >: Thats the other consideration in these designer dogs like doodles and poos - because they can't register pups as KC, then its not necessary pedigree parents and also even if it is I've heard that bitches too old to register litters with KC are continued to be used to breed into old age  :'(
Proud to be owned by a cocker spaniel.

Offline Helpers and Seekers

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2013, 06:33:02 PM »
As a rule,  would never cross a show cocker with a working cocker it is creating a mongrel cocker of two separate breeds (ongoing debate I know lol )  ...  so it is about making money.  It is a fun and pretty easy way to make a few hundred unless you do it right then you normally run at a loss  :shades:

I would ask her for the vet she uses,  as any good breeder would have no problem giving you this info along with the name and contact details of atleast 2 owners from previous litters.   Then you need to contact all these and get their feedback and if possible go and visit the previous litter dogs.

A good breeder will meet with you and then quiz you left, right and centre and a really great breeder will want to visit your home and meet your family to ensure you and your home is correct for this breed and their dogs, or will have someone do this for them.....  I do this for 3 of my local breeders (Great Dane, Collie, Staffie) as a free service to ensure the homes are fully vetted.

They will also NOT let you have the puppy until it is 8 weeks old minimum!

Animal Rescues will always vet you and your home before rehoming and a good breeder will also do the same although I know 98% do not sadly and this is an active thing some of us are trying to change, one litter at a time.

BUT many breeders do not really care as much and will just ask you about your home and family and what your life is like, have you come to meet the pups and them a couple of times BUT at the end of the day you must remember breeding is a BUSINESS and do not ever let any breeder tell you otherwise or else they would not do it and the animals would be free to 100% vetted homes and owners if it was all about increasing the gene pool and doing it for enjoyment/hobby only.

Health checks with a vet are just like you going to your gp for a once over, so not really a good indication... but a good start ... That's why you need the breeders vet details so you can check that the breed your purchasing has had the breed specific health checks and only the vet can tell you if the breeder your buying from has requested these.   Also the vet can also tell you if the mum and dad dogs have both been checked PRIOR to being mated to ensure their health to infact mate in the first place.

Buying a new family member is one of the most important decisions you will ever make in your entire lives....  so has to be right :-)

It is better to be 100% happy if there is even an inkling of doubt walk away and a high price is not always a good indication of a good buy.

All the above said and done you will do what you want to do and will probably have a puppy from the litter and be very happy and if problems arise then there is normally a drug or operation that can sort it out, so no real worries, just in an ideal world that will never sadly exist and I just rant more than most  ;)

I know my posts come across as angry, it is more frustration of years of dealing with animals which have sadly been harmed along their sad journeys. Very hard picking up the pieces dogs as the damage is considerable ..  so my apologies if I offend, I only hope to increase your mindfullness xx

Offline Helpers and Seekers

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2013, 06:37:12 PM »
Remember sprockers, cockerpoos and labradoodles etc etc are just mongrels at the end of the day commonal garden mongrels been around for years but we just called them mongrels unlike now :banana:
I know my posts come across as angry, it is more frustration of years of dealing with animals which have sadly been harmed along their sad journeys. Very hard picking up the pieces dogs as the damage is considerable ..  so my apologies if I offend, I only hope to increase your mindfullness xx