Author Topic: first time dog/cocker owner- what do I buy?  (Read 1457 times)

Offline hilhames

Re: first time dog/cocker owner- what do I buy?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 11:29:32 AM »
great, its beginning to fall into place.  So this is a puppy playpen from zooplus or wherever?  Can you give me an indication of size I should get?

Re crate - I am not sure that I would use it when puppy is full grown do I need 30 inches or is something a bit smaller ok?  I guess there are several standard sizes?

Offline Homebird

• Jessie 24.01.2001 - 11.08.2012
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 11:44:45 AM »
I have a smaller crate which fits well in the kitchen and which I used for my first cocker and will use for the new puppy - however it is a bit small (24inches max) when the dog is full grown and I felt mean putting Jessie in it when she was unwell.  As I will need to separate the new dog at times from baby grandchildren I wish I had bought the 36 inch and may well get one in the future - but there again we have a big hall to put it in now!

Offline hilhames

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 11:49:56 AM »
I think if I got 24" I could pput it in the car and could manage without a pet carrier. Then I could get a dog harness when she is a bit bigger, or a dog guard for the boot?

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 12:58:26 PM »
I think if I got 24" I could pput it in the car and could manage without a pet carrier. Then I could get a dog harness when she is a bit bigger, or a dog guard for the boot?

Like a pushchair, you should make sure the size would fit in your boot ok.  Perhaps someone with same car could advise you of the size/shape of their crate?