Author Topic: Puppy Blues  (Read 4262 times)

Offline abzy0309

Puppy Blues
« on: August 27, 2013, 09:23:24 PM »
Hi everyone.......

It's with great sadness that I'm writing this post but I need help! I have heard about the baby blues but is it normal to have puppy blues? The past few days I have been feeling very  :-\ and wondering if we've made a mistake having Reggie.... I knew it was going to be hard work and am cut out for it (I've raised a lovely 4yr old) but I just don't know!  :'(

The training is going tremendous and only a few accidents in 3 weeks, however he is none stop biting! He really hurts and my little boy is normally the main victim! Our clothes are being chewed, currently as I type he is swinging from my dressing gown! I've done lots of research but nothing seems to work with him, the 'no' works for about a second.

He is not left on his own for more than 2hrs.... Apart from once a week for 6hrs but my neighbour comes in every hr.

I do love him very much at I can't believe I even think these things at times! Is this normal??

Abbie & Reggie

Offline Landy andy

Re: Puppy Blues
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 09:28:53 PM »
Sorry but its normal. It will get better. See if you can get some time out, and the play will be worse if the pup is tired, hungry or needs the loo.

Andy 

Offline Walshies

• Fudge - our lovely chocolate boy
    • Masarnen Ramblers
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 09:37:31 PM »
We went through exactly the same in the first few weeks - although not as bad as you I think. We did question our sanity on many occasions but to be honest you just have to get on with it - we are so glad we did as Fudge has turned out to be a simply super dog, friend and companion to us both. We cannot imagine life without him.

Keep at it and it will get better - honest!
Check out our website at www.masarnenramblers.com

Offline abzy0309

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 09:52:37 PM »
Thanks both!

I am hoping once he is able to go for some little walks he will be more entertained. I've got a few more tips off here tonight for keeping him occupied so we will see.

I am questioning my sanity.....  >:D

Abbie & Reggie

Offline Maisydaisy

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 10:02:38 PM »
Oh me too! I was driving to work this morning almost I tears, thinking I'd made a huge mistake :'(. It's such hard work, not helped by the fact that Stanley never wants to cuddle, only bite.

I'm the same as you, counting the days until he can go out for walks to tire him out a bit...I'm getting cabin fever being stuck in with him all the time!

Offline abzy0309

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 10:05:41 PM »
Oh me too! I was driving to work this morning almost I tears, thinking I'd made a huge mistake :'(. It's such hard work, not helped by the fact that Stanley never wants to cuddle, only bite.

I'm the same as you, counting the days until he can go out for walks to tire him out a bit...I'm getting cabin fever being stuck in with him all the time!

It's so hard isn't it :( I just feel a bit lost with it all! I've given him a love and said night.... New dy tomorrow nd going to start a fresh..... Again! Haha

Abbie & Reggie

Offline Helly D

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 10:16:36 PM »
I work with parents and babies and I am on various FB groups that are for parents. What you are experiencing is almost identical to new mums with a newborn. They are tearing their hair out and wondering what on earth they have done. It does get better as I'm always saying on the mummy FB groups and the same applies to these puppies. Eventually he will grow up into a well adjusted dog, just as kids do but it's bloody hard work getting there.

Offline Jessh33

• My Ralphie Roo
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 10:17:56 PM »
Same issues here too, Ralph is very determined  :shades: its the biting that is our main problem, we have 3 children (9,7 & 5) and its them that we have the most problem with, they can't sit on the floor or get changed without him hanging off them and its been a bit of a problem! I know it will get better, the children have been given their orders and he'll be able to go for walks from Thursday so I'm hoping a couple of 15min walks and a few play sessions in the garden will help keep him more occupied! Also once the children are back at school next week hopefully it'll be much calmer at home  :D

My boys at the bridge Ben 11/7/2002-11/4/2013 and Ozzy 7/9/2002-21/12/2013 - they left their paw prints on my heart xxx

Offline lesley3165

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 10:27:28 PM »
I too questioned whether we had done the right thing getting Meg, her constant biting was horrendous and downright painful. She is now 6 1/2 months old and is so much better. She does still mouth us but no longer bites and looking at other posts I know it will get even better. Hang on in there, they do stop biting eventually !! >:D

Offline abzy0309

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 10:33:25 PM »
I'm so glad I'm not alone. I was reading all these loving posts and thinking, mines a bit of a monster!  >:(

The thing that is the most stressful in with my son... Like you say Jess, he can't sit on the floor or play or anything. I know it will get better now so just have to keep my patience under control with some wine!  :005:

You've all cheered me up! Thank you!

Abbie & Reggie

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 10:46:35 PM »
I would have been lost without the crate, Teal was a nightmare biter when the pup was getting to much I would pick her up tell her she was a good girl and place in the crate for anywhere between 10 minutes and an hour, this does not help the biting but does give you some chill time.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline hilhames

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 11:16:16 PM »
They are clearly all tarred with same brush.  I got Chloe last Wednesday and wouldn't send her back for the world but the play biting gets me down too.  I simply keep my hands off Chloe when she is in biting mood (50% and more  of time) I don't think they understand at first and clothes just an extension of your body... and shoes.  I just try and substitute a toy.  Its difficult enough and our children are all grown up.  What worries me is that in one of the 'stickies' is it the Dunbar one- not sure - it says you have to train them not to play bite by 4 months . I appreciate that you should make a hurt noise and go NO and also the Gwen Bailey books say turn your back but if I turned my back each time I would be a whirling dervish and probably make her worse!   Have tried a puppy kong but Chloe is not ready for them yet I guess her jaws not strong enough - I have to squeeze the content out which defeats the object!
Its nice to get a bit of reassurance here, its difficult because you are on your own the first few weeks, no training classes and no walks.  All tips or links to tips gratefully received.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 10:24:44 AM »
Not easy this 'having a puppy' lark is it. Unfortunately they cannot read the training manuals, nor do they come ready trained  :police:

I can remember when I had my first pup, going through what you are now and although like you, I would not have thought of giving up on her - it was very tempting to wish for a more peaceful life (aided by sleep).......but they get over all these bad habits and undesirable deeds and with the love and guidance we give them, the majority grow up to be beautiful dogs with lovely temperaments.

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline hilhames

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 10:52:04 AM »
this is what the trainer said  bout biting who came to me for half an hour

" With regard to the nipping, Chloe is giving you a completely natural response to your yelping and saying "no!", that is, she doesn't understand. In the litter her mother and siblings would have nipped her harder to stop her behaviour, if she persisted then the response would have been firmer until she stopped nipping them. Of course, she would have done the same to them when they nipped her, hence the hierarchy develops within the litter. So, I would suggest you use the slip lead and when she is shaping up to bite you can correct her by jerking the lead. You will be able to judge the extent of the correction necessary simply by observing her behaviour. One correction is usually necessary for the puppy to think that other things are more interesting, but if she comes back for more, then the correction needs to be a little firmer. The biting has to stop now or it will continue as she grows and becomes stronger."

So she is implying that a fim 'no' is no good- but I would have to have the slip lead on morning noon and night - has anyone else gone down that route re training the dog to stop biting?

Offline butterflywings21

• Tilly 10/02/2013~Jenson 09/01/2019
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 11:07:00 AM »
I found when Tilly was at her worse with biting (especially the children) she was tired, so I would put her in her crate for a rest. Now she is older the biting is soo much better, but if she starts she goes straight into the kitchen for a rest, and this seems to work for us. It will get better and more so when you are able to get out and about with them.