Author Topic: Puppy Blues  (Read 4268 times)

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Re: Puppy Blues
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2013, 04:24:02 PM »
  :huh: I am not sure if I should be concerned, my pup is 6 and a half months and still biting and barking at us. Some days she has more time out than time in !!! She loves her walks and playing ball but I am now wondering if she should have outgrown the biting as someone mentioned earlier that they outgrow it at 4 months .

Some pups are MUCH worse than others. My first two cockers were no real problem but Archie was the cockerdile from hell.  >:D he hadn't grown out of it by one year old - although it was nowhere near as bad by then as it was in the early days. They are all different. Don't worry.

Offline hilhames

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2013, 09:31:51 PM »
Abbey and Reggie, what do you play with for 'fetch' - they can't really pick a ball up can they?  Chloe is 9 weeks, 2 days and counting ....

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2013, 09:56:12 PM »
Abbey and Reggie, what do you play with for 'fetch' - they can't really pick a ball up can they?  Chloe is 9 weeks, 2 days and counting ....

You don't need a ball to play fetch, I used one of those soft raggers - easy to get hold of and to throw. Even a pair of your old socks twisted and turned into a play toy will suffice

- also a long fox toy with originally a sqeak at each end - now just a squeak in the tail, both are good to play with as they are nice and soft and you only need hold one end  ;)
http://www.doggiesolutions.co.uk/skinneeez-fox-15879-0.html
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline hilhames

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2013, 10:03:23 PM »
oooh....I want one of those skineez toys for ME  and anything long to keep me away from those teeth    ..any recommendations for the more popular ones in the range?
We have bought some toys that are very successful, others less so!
noise, stretch and fairly hard to destruct, sounds just the ticket!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2013, 10:05:55 PM »
oooh....I want one of those skineez toys for ME  and anything long to keep me away from those teeth    ..any recommendations for the more popular ones in the range?
We have bought some toys that are very successful, others less so!
noise, stretch and fairly hard to destruct, sounds just the ticket!

click on the link and it will take you directly to the page where you can find them - not sure if you can buy them elsewhere, but I expect so.

Also found the link for the ragger  ;) http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/dog-supplies/dog-toys-and-treats/dog-toys/interpet-dog-toys/pet-love-ragger-rope-dog-toys/pet-love-ragger-small.html
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2013, 12:38:29 AM »
For biting, try giving a single loud high pitched yelp whenever they try to bite and then turn your back and walk away a few paces.

You're telling them in puppy language that it's hurt and that you don't like it.

Don't, whatever you do, scold them but stay very neutral, allow them to approach you and gently start playing again. If there's another bite then repeat the above but wait a bit longer before acknowledging them.

We were given this advice by Chaz's breeder and it worked wonders when Chaz started biting at a few months old.

For tugging, dragging around, chewing and general destruction we found that an old face towel well knotted lasted several days before being reduced to threads  :005:.

Bob.

Offline abzy0309

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2013, 07:30:47 AM »
We use an old face towel tied in a not which he likes to chase. And we have a small rugby bal shaped rubber toy from our local pet shop and he plays with that.... Only took him a few goes to get the jist of what he was doing.

Abbie & Reggie

Offline lindsmat

« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2013, 02:36:07 PM »
omg, I cant believe that there are so many people on here that feel like I do lol lol thought I was mean having regretting thoughts about having brandy, but now I realise actually its pretty normal. puppys are really hard work and I guess different breeds are more than others.We have had ours 9 weeks now, she is 17 weeks old today. I am finding it so exhausting, although I have to say today has been quite a nice day, the kids have gone back to school and I think that was what was tiring me out.It is hard keeping check on puppy and looking after kids , brandy is getting bigger and hassles them a lot when they are sitting on settee. We gated off our kitchen when she kept weeing on living room carpet and now she is toilet trained we still havent taken it down as it has been a godsend. when the kids are having quiet time lying on settee I have shut her out in kitchen with me while I am doing cooking cleaning etc. Her nipping , has stopped, but when she is awake all she wants to do is play, and that Is hard when you have other things to do, dinner etc. Definitely calmer today since kids have been off. Oh and a real cheap toy to keep her amused is a empty plastic bottle, with label , lid and ring taken off it. It keeps her entertained and when I play fetch with her its easy to get it off her as its slippy she cant keep hold of it very well, although definitely keep an eye on it to see when she puts holes in then chuck it.She loves them.

Offline panda66

• Donator
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2013, 02:57:29 PM »
If she is fed kibble try putting it in the plastic bottle , it keeps them amused trying to get it out  :D

Offline lindsmat

« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2013, 07:01:44 PM »
oh yes panda, that keeps her going for a ages lol

Offline abzy0309

« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2013, 09:43:02 PM »
Yes Reggie loves that!

Abbie & Reggie

Offline Alfiepops

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2013, 10:24:07 AM »
Reading this has made me breathe a HUGE sigh of relief!
I joined the forum this morning to seek out some "consistent" advice
for my eleven week old puppy Alfie! I was beginning to wonder if I was a
terrible parent or maybe Alfie was just a devil dog lol! He's so loving and always comes for snuggles and kisses but sometimes, well a lot of the time, he's jumping and biting and growling and barking and has bitten so hard that he's ripped clothing!
After reading these comments I'm realising that it's normal and I'm not alone lol so thanks everyone and best of luck with ur little monsters xxx Claire xxx

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2013, 11:06:07 AM »
Reading this has made me breathe a HUGE sigh of relief!
I joined the forum this morning to seek out some "consistent" advice
for my eleven week old puppy Alfie! I was beginning to wonder if I was a
terrible parent or maybe Alfie was just a devil dog lol! He's so loving and always comes for snuggles and kisses but sometimes, well a lot of the time, he's jumping and biting and growling and barking and has bitten so hard that he's ripped clothing!
After reading these comments I'm realising that it's normal and I'm not alone lol so thanks everyone and best of luck with ur little monsters xxx Claire xxx

It does make a massive difference knowing that your 'puppy from hell' is in fact just a normal (if there is such a thing) cocker spaniel puppy.
Murphy is behaving much better at the moment, though far from perfect,  and looks a much happier puppy too. A regular walk in the woods and a good play with other dogs helps a lot. By 8pm he is out for the count.

Though now I can't seem to walk more than a couple of steps without Murphy latching onto my leg and humping >:(

Offline abzy0309

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2013, 11:24:40 AM »
When I started this post I was begging my husband to take Reggie back.... I was only saying last night that I can't imagine our lives without him. I promise you it does get easier.... Although I do think that they are like children and when you cross one hurdle up pops another.... I'm sure we will all get there.

Reggie like Murphy loves humping too lol

Abbie & Reggie

Offline sheenawilson

• our boy flint
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2013, 12:00:54 PM »
I was barely functioning when flint was a baby,then suddenly it all comes together,hes 7month now and hes a pleasure with a michevious streak lol. Time,it gets easier xx