Author Topic: Off lead exercise - grass and beach  (Read 437 times)

Offline black taz

Off lead exercise - grass and beach
« on: September 10, 2013, 01:06:55 PM »
Hi, Raffi is coming up to 20 weeks now and I am more or less sticking to the 5 mins per month pavement walking.

However, at the weekend someone said that I should be sticking to the same times for off lead exercise on grass - is this right?

We are going on holiday at the weekend and will be taking him on the beach (probably once a day), any ideas how long we should be letting him run around on the beach?

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Off lead exercise - grass and beach
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 01:19:43 PM »
I interpret the 5 min 'rule' as relating mostly to organised/enforced walking rather than running about and playing with opportunities to rest when they choose. So long as your puppy isn't expected to walk long distances I'd not be too worried about specific time on the beach or grass. 20 week old puppies will often play in the garden/ house for a lot longer than half an hour at a time, but when they're tired they have the chance to rest (as opposed to being taken for an hour's walk on lead).
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline black taz

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 03:34:41 PM »
Thats how i understood it Emily, but didnt want to over do it next week.  thanks

Offline QuaCKeReD

• Pebbles Puddleduck
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 03:47:52 PM »
Not sure what the 5min rules is - could you explain???

All the things I have read point to around 1mins walking per day, per weeks of age - so 20weeks would be 20mins?

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 04:01:34 PM »

All the things I have read point to around 1mins walking per day, per weeks of age - so 20weeks would be 20mins?

5 mins per month of age so 20 weeks old would be 25 minutes, this is only a guide as said off lead on grass or the beach it can be a little longer or if you are on a walk you can stop for a few minutes every now and again to stretch the time out sitting for a few minutes which is good training as well.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline black taz

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 05:37:04 PM »
With a p in tow you usually find what should take 20 mins takes about an hour anyway with the amount of people wanting to fuss  :005:

Offline QuaCKeReD

• Pebbles Puddleduck
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 05:40:13 PM »

5 mins per month of age so 20 weeks old would be 25 minutes, this is only a guide as said off lead on grass or the beach it can be a little longer or if you are on a walk you can stop for a few minutes every now and again to stretch the time out sitting for a few minutes which is good training as well.

Ahhh, sorry misread - so 5mins per month, or 1min per week...about same :P