Author Topic: no longer in the pen but waking at night.  (Read 533 times)

Offline maxineh

no longer in the pen but waking at night.
« on: September 08, 2013, 09:28:22 AM »
For the last 6 months poppy has slept in a pen with her crate attached. We put this in our lounge with the door pulled to. It's nice and dark and my hubby getting up at 5am wouldn't disturb her. She has slept from 10.30 until 7ish since 9 weeks and is now 8 months. She doesn't go to the toilet at night and when I come down to her isn't busting to go out.only very occasionally has she done a poo but never wets anymore. For the last couple of months when I need to go out during the day I have put her soft bed in the kitchen. She has been quite happy there and not made any messes.
We went on holiday with her and she came with us in a caravan -took her pen and crate. She slept ok but did start waking to go out. When we came home she went back to her usual sleeping routine.
We then went away again for a week but she didn't come. We have found a lovely lady who is local and does doggie boarding. Poppy has stayed with her on two separate occasions and lives her. For our week away she was in the ladies kitchen with the run of the kitchen and her own crate to sleep in. When we got home we went back to the pen and all was normal.
As she is now 8 months ,clean and doesn't chew or destroy things we decided it was time she could be a big girl and come out of the pen. We put her in the kitchen with both her crate and soft bed. She kept waking and whining at the stairgate on the kitchen door. At 3am I went and let her out and she did a wee and poo in the garden. She then settled down again until hubby got up. This has been the routine over the last week with her sleeping through only one night. On one hand it is good she is asking to go to the toilet but for months she has been clean all night.
Last night put some paper down and said I would ignore her. By 3.30 had to let her out ! Did a wee and poo. Did not talk or praise her just told her to go toilet. She then settled back until 6am.
Not sure if its just going to be a matter of time before she starts sleeping all night again or have I made a rod for my own back letting her out ?
Our kitchen doesn't have a door and is therefore not as dark and cosy as the lounge - could this also be factor
Has anyone experienced anything similar ?

Offline JamiesGirl

Re: no longer in the pen but waking at night.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 09:52:21 AM »
I found when we got jamie - not a puppy but still might help - if we shut him in the kitchen at night he would howl at around 4/5am to be let out then settle down again. as soon as i let him have the run of the house there was no more howling and i didn't need to let him out so early. he now sleeps either upstairs on in the front room where it is darker so i came to the conclusion it was the morning light waking him up.
🐾 Jamie's Girl - Sara 🐾

Offline maxineh

help!!! waking at night.
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 10:26:19 AM »
Seems like it's getting worse. Up whining 3 times last night.  Does not stop until you let her out for a wee and then settles for a bit. Thought after nearly 2 weeks she would start to settle.  Don't want to go back to the pen in the lounge again. Real shock to the system when had months of not waking  :huh:  any ideas anyone ?

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 08:43:03 PM »
if they want to go out for a pee then let them out and do as you're doing now. On occasion my adult dogs want to go out in the night but like yours wanted to go during the night as well on a regular basis
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 08:52:42 PM »
some thoughts - maybe she's feeling a bit insecure without her crate?  is there room to put it in the kitchen with her and cover it with a blanket so she has a dark safe space with the door open? 

or, as she is 8 months old she may be starting to come into season, which could be upsetting her routines if she's feeling a bit uncomfortable in the nether regions ;)

Pearl did exactly the same in the lead up to her first season although this may not be the case with Poppy of course

Offline maxineh

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 07:30:57 AM »
It could be the season as I know her sister came into season a week ago. Have tried with crate covered too but had same affect. Did actually sleep through last night. Might be a one off but going to persevere.