Author Topic: Lead walking with future gun dogs??  (Read 339 times)

Offline Ldavies38

• Mum to Mae
Lead walking with future gun dogs??
« on: September 12, 2013, 10:22:50 PM »
I really need the help and advice of fellow cocker owners who intend to work there dogs please.
How do u all mix the trainng and normal dog time together ? When your not training are u walking on lead off lead??  Talking them on long walks letting them dart around??  We're now at a cross roads now where we're enjoying the long walks so much were upset as we've been told she should be kept on lead in most cases,  As we all know to keep the distance away from us small for future work. I just need to hear how u all get the happy medium  :lol2: >:( as I feel a bit sad all the funs been taken away x
First time cocker owner 🐶

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Lead walking with future gun dogs??
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 11:05:10 PM »
Mine don't get 'normal' walks as such when they're being trained to work. As pups they get several short training/play sessions every day plus a couple of play/mooching sessions with the other dogs but only in a suitable area where I can keep conditions controlled in terms of scents, wildlife, cover etc. They're not on lead but I'm watching them the whole time and making sure I can get their focus back at any time. If I did want to do a long walk and/or it was an area I couldn't control and watch them at all times they'd be on a harness and flexi lead or long line though.

Caoimhe was different as she was trained for trialling so her training/exercise was extremely carefully controlled right up until she retired last season after becoming FTCh at almost 4 years old. With Rodaidh I was able to relax earlier, he started his first full working season at 21 months old and after that once I'd established his trustworthiness and steadiness I could relax on his training/exercise a lot more. With a pup though you have to be consistent if you want consistent results, otherwise you're just confusing them and potentially creating issues. It's hard work and very intensive when they're young but it certainly pays off for me.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Ldavies38

• Mum to Mae
Re: Lead walking with future gun dogs??
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 11:22:28 PM »
Thank you. As a first time dog owner Were trying to do best by her. My breeder is a gundog trainner and although we had a 2 hr lesson yest I was stuck on a few things
First time cocker owner 🐶