Author Topic: Your thoughts...  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Bevjparkes

Re: Your thoughts...
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 04:52:03 PM »
Hi Paul
I lost my wonderful old cocker in Feb of this year, aged 15, and it broke my heart.  Initially I couldn't face the thought of having another dog, but as the weeks went by, my feelings changed, and I realised that I wanted the pleasure that having a dog brings.  It wouldn't fill the Billy-shaped hole, but I felt as if my heart could make room for another. Murphy has brought so much love back into all our lives - I feel sure that Billy would be proud to think that I loved him so much I wanted to experience that again.

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 05:57:44 PM »
Hi Paul, So sorry for your loss.
3 years ago, we lost our 2 cockers within 7 months of each other.  In spite of having 3 other dogs, I was bereft without them.  We did exactly what you are not supposed to do and looked online, liked the look of a pup and had him within a couple of weeks.

At first, I didn't bond with Dexter at all - I liked him cos he was a cute, ball of squidgyness, but I didn't bond - I didn't love him.
I felt guilty that he wasn't my beloved spaniels - I felt guilty that he was alive and they weren't and I felt guilty that I had brought him into our home.

Then, one day, I came downstairs - looked at him and fell totally and utterly in love  :luv: :luv: :luv:
The feeling was reciprocated and he soon became my shadow and my little man!! (I had never had a male dog before, only bitches)
We later went on to get Alfie and although we don't own any cockers now, I am so pleased we got both of them.

We recently lost our beloved Josie but now with 4 dogs, we feel we are still complete as a family so we are not getting another dog - but I fully understand why you would want another.
I wish you luck in finding another dog to help blur the edges of the hole left in your heart.

Keep us posted.
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 07:15:08 PM »
If it feels right then go for it. I did, and its the best thing I could have done. Healing on four paws :luv:
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 07:44:28 PM »
a lot of people on here have hit the nail on head.
 we all are devastated when we lose our furbabes, but what spurs us on to "replace" our doglets is the fact that we hate the empty house, we miss the companionship, we miss the "life and soul of the party". we do not dishonour our rainbow babies by loving another, its because of them we are able to love again and they would want us to do so  :luv:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Liz F

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 07:52:32 PM »
Hi Paul, so sorry for the loss of your gorgeous boy Max  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: As others have said everyone is different, when I lost my soulmate Marcus -GR  I knew that for me I just could not live without a dog. Not to replace Marcus  - he was a one off  :angel: and could never be replaced.  Im on my own as dd is grown up and lives away, the house was empty and even though I work my life was empty too.  Within a week I was looking and came across a litter on KC website.  Went to visit and the following week brought Diesel home  :luv:
1 year and alot of cocker experience later along came Olli (who was and still is a much greater challenge than Diesel  :005: :005: Olli is 5 1/2 now and hes still a work in progress  :005:

Everyones different and you will know when the time is right to get your furbaby, good luck with your search.

Liz, Olli & Diesel xx

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 08:13:12 PM »
Very sorry about Max.  As others have said, there's no right or wrong here, just what's best for you.  I've known people have their old dog PTS in the morning and be down at rescue looking for another in the afternoon, and I've known others who missed their old dog so much they waited 10 years to get another.

We've had 2 dogs for as long as I can remember, usually different ages, so when one goes we wait a few months and enjoy having an only dog, but then we ALWAYS get another. 

The only thing you MUST do is keep us informed on COL  :005:

Offline montsmum

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 08:18:42 PM »
Quote:
If it feels right then go for it. I did, and its the best thing I could have done. Healing on four paws Love

Couldn't agree more. We reserved Milo within 2 weeks of having to have Monty PTS. Best thing we could have done.

Offline paulsutt

• My beautiful Max 22/11/99 - 18/09/13
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2013, 09:23:10 PM »
Thank you all so much for your replies...these really have lifted me from a very difficult few days. The replies are really interesting to read through..a few are sad but all have happy endings.

I've definitely now made my mind up.

Because of Max I simply can't see myself without a cocker. It seems strange that in Jan 2000 I decided to get a dog. I wanted a cocker. Then the internet was in its infancy so I got a local paper and saw an ad...ok the dogs were in Carmarthenshire!..but little did I know that this small ad would change my life!

..colour choice though would have to be different I think from Max's orange.

Paul