Author Topic: Advice needed - pup rehomed too early!!!!  (Read 3432 times)

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
Re: Advice needed - pup rehomed too early!!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 10:11:06 PM »
Next time she has an accident when your husband should have been watching her I find the best thing is to roll up a newspaper and give him over the head with it  :005: :005:

First making sure that the "accident" is contained within said rolled up newspaper.....Maybe best to do it outdoors  ;).

Bob.

Offline Dawndoll

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 11:12:58 PM »
Next time she has an accident when your husband should have been watching her I find the best thing is to roll up a newspaper and give him over the head with it  :005: :005:

That is the best piece of advice I've ever had ..... Thank you  >:D  :lol2:

Offline janek

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 09:36:08 AM »
My girl is now 19 weeks and weeing on que had her at 11 weeks did exactly as rednblack advises in fact have done with all past cockers it really pays off
Janek

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 09:43:12 AM »
Or when it is rolled up use it to poke his chest to emphasise the relevant points as you 'instruct' him (at a louder than usual volume) on the finer points of puppy toilet training- there are just some times when positive reinforcement methods do not work :005: :005: :005:
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline abzy0309

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 09:50:50 AM »

Do what fits in with you and your family.  Dont get too worn out which makes it difficult to cope with a young family and a demanding puppy!!

I totally agree with this... Reggie was 8 weeks when we had him, for the first week I was getting up and he wasn't really doing much. I extended the time over two weeks from 1am, 2am, 3am etc but he seemed to just want to sleep and was really settled. I thought I'd just risk one night and he was fine, doing a little wee on newspaper. 

Then one night my husband forgot the paper and he did nothing, he had associated the paper with weeing on it. Nice we out nothing down and he holds from about 10.30 till 7. He's 15 weeks now and been doing this from about 10 weeks. I do believe there is no right or wrong answer, it's what you find best.

Good luck :)

Ps..... They are all nippy so I think you will get that either way.  :)

Abbie & Reggie

Offline QuaCKeReD

• Pebbles Puddleduck
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 05:52:19 PM »
Pebbles was 7 weeks when we got her, too. She is now 9 weeks.

We may have been really lucky, reading the posts on here  :005:

She still wee's on paper in her pen overnight (a little), but has had 3 'clean' nights in a row now (crossing fingers, but not really expecting it to last at mo)

She cried right through first night, and second, then a bit from 4:30 for couple of nights. Now, we come down around 6:30-7:00, to a happy little puppy.

One thing we found, and took us a week to see it, but Pebbles does get more 'bity' and a little aggressive, when she is tired - still can't get over how much she sleeps.

We found gentle play worked better, as she wasn't over excited, and now goes to her cage quite often for a nap, on her own

Offline morgy1987

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 06:06:12 PM »
Alfie has been very settled the past three nights in his bed the past three nights, however, he prefers to sleep during the day on his mat in the kitchen which im not sure is a good idea?! One thing I would like to know though is how many poos a day is your puppy doing? Alfie seems to do anywhere up to 8 times a day which i think is a bit excessive. They arent very well formed. Sorry for the disgusting question lol. Also, does everyone leave water at all times for them?

Offline QuaCKeReD

• Pebbles Puddleduck
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2013, 07:07:58 PM »
I also asked the water overnight question... :005:  As we feed dry, we decided to leave water in pen for her overnight. Sometimes she doesnt touch it, sometimes the bowl is nearly dry in morning.  No real reason to remove it, in my mind.
During day, she has access to bowl in pen and one in kitchen (next to food).

Pebbles' number 2 output varies - we went for a few days where she did 1 a day.  However, she seems to have settled on around 3-5 a day.

Though hers are well formed most of time, there has been a few that made us think 'Uh Oh!'  

I also think the consistency is dependant on many factors? Food brand, water intake, heat, etc

Offline Dawndoll

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 06:08:42 PM »
Hi everyone.

Rose has been getting on great she is a joy to have. She cried the first 2 night but slept all night the last couple of night and only peed once on her pad so fingers grossed it lasts lol.

Only had a couple of accidents in the house but only really happen when I'm busy with my girls and not able to be as vigilant as usual otherwise I take her straight out if she's showing signs if needing to go. If the doors open she'll go out herself sometimes to go to the toilet so I think she's doing really well and the odd accident is to be expected isn't it.
I decided to change her food right away she was on tesco puppy food which is just not good enough for my little precious lol, I was going to wait till she'd been here and got a bit more settled before weaning her off but after looking at the ingredients and seeing all the additives I wanted her off it as soon as especially because it seemed to just be coming straight out of the other end. Honestly on Monday she pooed 13 times  :o so I'm weaning her onto john well beloved.

She's every it the typical cocker happy, easy going, mad as a brush and obsessed with chewing shoes lol.  :lol2: