Author Topic: Pedigree Chum, good or bad?  (Read 18952 times)

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
Re: Pedigree Chum, good or bad?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2013, 09:53:55 PM »
Hahaha I bet it is! Have a feeling would make house training a whole lot easier too...  :-\

Offline bambino chicino

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 08:18:00 AM »
He seems okay on it to be fair... apart from the squishy poop... :-\

it is so much better cleaning up a nice firm sausage poo then a wet walnut whip  :rofl1:

I hear that!  :D

Offline bambino chicino

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 08:25:38 AM »
Has Charlie seen the vet yet (for jabs etc.)? if not it might be worth mentioning Charlie's poo probs, as there may be an underlying medical reason - My Minstrel had colitis  when I first got him home and he was having food/poo related probs. He had some anibiotics and a week or two on rice based meals, together with some prokolin, is now thriving on Nature Diet Puppy (a wet food)

He came on Beta puppy dry food which did not suit him at all.

I am not in any way suggesting that Charlie has got medical probs, but that it may be a good idea to get it confirmed.

Hi, yes he's been to the vet for a check up after we got him and then again a week later (Last week)  to have his booster. They said he was healthy and they were very happy with him. We mentioned squishy poop on both occasions as we'd managed to level it out for a few days after it started by cutting down his food. It has gone a little squishy again these last few days so we have cut the wet food we mix in right down.
My husband thinks that the paste we use in his Kong doesnt help as he thinks it smells awful. He only gets his Kong when we have to go to work so that he is distracted whilst we're out. I should point out that he isnt left all day as we only work 4 minutes away so we are trying to get through to him that its ok for us not to be there all the time and that he hasnt been abandoned. We are able to come back home throughout the day.
I love clicker training him and so far he seems very responsive, I do worry though that he is getting too many treats. Is there something that I can use/give him that wont have us worrying about him eating too much?

Thanks for all the advice so far, we're very greatful.

Offline Amus1

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »
When I got Flynn he was on wainwrights dry (a pets at home brand) from the breeder, and as he's grown and now adult and doing very well on it he has stayed on their adult version.
It was cheaper than the (James wellbeloved) I have the other dog on - though am now trying him on the wainwrights too.
It's probably not the best food on the market, but it suits my two, and they like it. I'd say it was a decent mid range food.

Offline jaydee67

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2013, 09:48:51 AM »
Charlie and our other 2 dogs are all fed on Eden, the older 2 also get a sardine a day and Charlie gets a raw chicken wing. I found Eden after looking at the whichdogfood website that a couple of other people have mentioned. It is suitable for all ages of dog which is a boon for me, they are very supportive by email, phone and their facebook group. It is recommended to do a slow changeover taking about 2 weeks so their systems get used to not having all the fillers in the food - it looks a lot less in the bowl too as it is 80% meat and fish and 20% vegetables with no cereal or other fillers. It is available in some retail outlets, my local dog club has just become the agent for Shetland or it can be ordered online - everyday way to shop for me!

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2013, 09:58:13 AM »
just another note..........no one has mentioned that what seems more expensive when you first see the price, can work out the same or cheaper because the better the contents the less you need.
Don't worry we have all been there, just enjoy your new puppy :clapping:
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline jaydee67

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2013, 10:01:54 AM »
whichdogfood works out the daily price for you too! Very handy!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2013, 10:08:05 AM »
Has Charlie seen the vet yet (for jabs etc.)? if not it might be worth mentioning Charlie's poo probs, as there may be an underlying medical reason - My Minstrel had colitis  when I first got him home and he was having food/poo related probs. He had some anibiotics and a week or two on rice based meals, together with some prokolin, is now thriving on Nature Diet Puppy (a wet food)

He came on Beta puppy dry food which did not suit him at all.

I am not in any way suggesting that Charlie has got medical probs, but that it may be a good idea to get it confirmed.

Hi, yes he's been to the vet for a check up after we got him and then again a week later (Last week)  to have his booster. They said he was healthy and they were very happy with him. We mentioned squishy poop on both occasions as we'd managed to level it out for a few days after it started by cutting down his food. It has gone a little squishy again these last few days so we have cut the wet food we mix in right down.
My husband thinks that the paste we use in his Kong doesnt help as he thinks it smells awful. He only gets his Kong when we have to go to work so that he is distracted whilst we're out. I should point out that he isnt left all day as we only work 4 minutes away so we are trying to get through to him that its ok for us not to be there all the time and that he hasnt been abandoned. We are able to come back home throughout the day.
I love clicker training him and so far he seems very responsive, I do worry though that he is getting too many treats. Is there something that I can use/give him that wont have us worrying about him eating too much?

Thanks for all the advice so far, we're very greatful.

You could try some boiled chicken cut into tiny pieces for treats. Minstrel loves cheese, again cut into tiny pieces - but it can be fattening if used too much.   If you put kong fillings in the search bit at the top of the forum page, there are quite a few threads on healthy fillings for kongs - can't help you as I don't use one, but that will give you some ideas. These pups aye, good job we love em :luv:

So pleased Charlie is ok (apart from the Mr. Whippies)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2013, 11:07:58 AM »
Countrywide stores is another good place to get better brands of dog food and they also sell a limited amount of raw  :D

Millie

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2013, 12:40:14 PM »
Countrywide stores is another good place to get better brands of dog food and they also sell a limited amount of raw  :D

just to add another internet site.
Seapets has a good selection of foods. free delivery over £34. also they have a loyalty club that reduces the prices even more. AND as you all know i go on about Quidco. they are to be found on there so more cash back.  the savings all add up
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline bambino chicino

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2013, 09:47:25 PM »
Thank you all so much, Im genuinely very greatful.
I was trying to change my profile picture so you could see Charlie but its not doing anything when I upload the file. Am I missing something? x x

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2013, 11:43:24 PM »
Thank you all so much, Im genuinely very greatful.
I was trying to change my profile picture so you could see Charlie but its not doing anything when I upload the file. Am I missing something? x x

Have you remembered to click 'change profile' at the bottom of the page ;)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2013, 01:31:50 AM »
Bakers is about the worst I think, followed by Pedigree Chum.  But half the dogs in the country seem to do OK on it.  Just avoid any dry food with coloured bits - full of e numbers and like feeding a toddler pop and sweets.  Cockers are hyper enough without adding to their energy levels  :luv:

Offline Sharpie

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2013, 07:05:37 PM »
We're on Pro Plan puppy kibble, and I add in a little bit of tinned mackerel or James Wellbeloved (1/3 of a small packet) now that Daisy is a bit older- we just stuck to kibble only for the first 5 or 6 months..

She has nice juicy firm poos that are very easy to pick up...lol :)

Offline bambino chicino

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2013, 09:38:36 AM »
When I got Flynn he was on wainwrights dry (a pets at home brand) from the breeder, and as he's grown and now adult and doing very well on it he has stayed on their adult version.
It was cheaper than the (James wellbeloved) I have the other dog on - though am now trying him on the wainwrights too.
It's probably not the best food on the market, but it suits my two, and they like it. I'd say it was a decent mid range food.

Hi, Ive been looking at the Wainwrights brand on the Pets At Home website as I think it might be a good alternative to the Pedigree Puppy. Do you find that your dogs dont suffer any hyperactivity? People have advised to avoid foods that contain additives but Im not quite sure what Im supposed to be looking out to avoid.