Author Topic: 2nd puppy jabs nightmare  (Read 14358 times)

Offline valcam

2nd puppy jabs nightmare
« on: September 29, 2013, 04:33:38 PM »
We collected our gorgeous little pup a week ago.Chocolate roan Poppy has settled  in really well, and although we are all a bit tiired (had forgot how full on a puppy is) we are all bonding and love her to bits. She had her first set of vaccinations the day before we collected her and this morning we went up to PAH to arrange second jabs only to discover we may have a big problem. Her original vaccines were Vanguard and apparently locally the vets use Nobivac, was told she will "need to re start" which as you can imagine we were not happy about, it can not be good for a tiny little dog to have to endure this. Wondering has anyone else had this problem, Am going to ring around in the morning and see if I can find anyone locally (Worcester area in case anyone knows a vet) Hubby doesnt fancy a six hour round trip to use the original vets any advice please xx

Offline JaneandSara

Re: 2n puppy jabs nightmare
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 04:38:08 PM »
Can you find out if the first jab was done at a vet that is part of a chain?  There may be a vet who is part of the same chain of vets in your area (and presumably would have the same vaccine).  I know there can be problems not using the same vaccine so PAH were right.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 05:02:35 PM »
its amazing what you learn on here.. Thank goodness for COL
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 05:58:25 PM »
Hi yes I had heard of this.  I made enquiries with a local vet before I bought Jinley home and they told me that there were different brands and to make sure she had the same brand that they used.

Could you take her back to the breeders vet for her second one?  It might be a bit of a treck but at least she will have a year before you have to think about it again.

Pat

Offline valcam

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 06:08:45 PM »
Thanks all, the vet was an independent so no local branch, absoloutely will take her back to the original vet rather than re start but it will mean she has her jab a week late. hopefully that is ok will have to ask. Will be ringing round tomorrow see if I can find a local vet who stocks the same vaccine. Anyone know if I have her vaccinated with Vanguard this time do I stay with that for her life? Its certainlu a steep learning curve being a cocker mummy, even though she is our third dog so much has modernisede in 12 years probably because of the internet. and more info available x

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 06:20:38 PM »
Apparently, the make of injections cover for different things.

I found this which might help
http://bluwiki.com/go/Dogs/Vaccines

Pat

Offline valcam

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 06:37:45 PM »
Thanks Pat very interesting read, got my old dog's record card out, she was vaccinated using Nobivac, I just assumed a second vaccination would be easy to arrange, never thought I would spend 4 hours researching this!!! At least I have finally found the manufacturers telephone number so will try them first see if they can tell me a vet reasonably local.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 06:53:04 PM »
I had this problem with Smudge as a pup, but was lucky enough to remember the saga when I got Minstrel - so phoned my vets up and asked if the vaccines they used were the same as the breeder's vet - they were, so I took him to our vet for the 2nd (and what I thought was going to be his last for this year, but no! the vets like to give a booster (at no extra cost - appparently! but to my mind they should just reduce the cost of the 2nd jab)

He will be having booster on Thursday next. I would have gone back to breeder for his 2nd jab had I been made aware of this.

I may be being a bit cynical here - but protecting their financial interests (vets) comes to mind!! :dunno:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 09:39:08 PM »
The amount of times I've heard this, it's absolute rubbish.  I had confirmation from 3 companies to say ALL vaccines are made by the same company they just have different companies labels on them.  A bit like buying Asda, Lloyds or Boots paracetamol - it's the same drug just different labels.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 10:09:02 PM »
just had a look at one of my dogs record. we have always used the same vet. he has used so far on my dog over the years Nobivac,Eurican and Procyon
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: 2nd puppy jabs nightmare
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 08:45:16 AM »
Vanguard is manufactured by Zoetis (formerly Pfizer) and Nobivac is manufactured by Merck as far as I can see from a quick internet search.

You could try contacting Zoetis and ask if they supply Vanguard to any vets local to you.

Another possibility is to contact the vet that gave Poppy her first vaccination and ask if they can send a single dose of the second vaccination to your own vet.

Offline janek

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 09:56:13 AM »
its amazing what you learn on here.. Thank goodness for COL

Yes i agree with that, its great to check things out with others ,im sure the girl that bred my little one thinks im either neurotic or stalking her :shades:
 I was worried at the start that i was doing things right, it had been a while since i had a cocker pup (lost my last one 2001 ) now i check any thing im not sure about on COl
Janek

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 11:10:07 AM »
I had to take Minnie back to her original vet as our vets used a different type too

Offline valcam

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 02:21:36 PM »
I rang Zoetis this morning and spoke to a very helpful lady, only one vet stocks this vaccine locally, I rang him and he will give Poppy her second vaccines at 12 weeks which is the most important thing. Very annoying though as I agree with mud magnets, it seems more about making money from us owners than the welfare of the puppies, couldn't believe being advised to re start, I worked in customer service for a long time, and we were always told to do the very best for our customers, I am amazed vet's get away with this it seems such a con.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 07:11:10 PM »
I rang Zoetis this morning and spoke to a very helpful lady, only one vet stocks this vaccine locally, I rang him and he will give Poppy her second vaccines at 12 weeks which is the most important thing. Very annoying though as I agree with mud magnets, it seems more about making money from us owners than the welfare of the puppies, couldn't believe being advised to re start, I worked in customer service for a long time, and we were always told to do the very best for our customers, I am amazed vet's get away with this it seems such a con.

I'm glad you've got it sorted :D