Author Topic: 2nd puppy jabs nightmare  (Read 14355 times)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: 2nd puppy jabs nightmare
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 12:23:08 AM »
I rang Zoetis this morning and spoke to a very helpful lady, only one vet stocks this vaccine locally, I rang him and he will give Poppy her second vaccines at 12 weeks which is the most important thing. Very annoying though as I agree with mud magnets, it seems more about making money from us owners than the welfare of the puppies, couldn't believe being advised to re start, I worked in customer service for a long time, and we were always told to do the very best for our customers, I am amazed vet's get away with this it seems such a con.

I'm glad you've got it sorted :D

Me too  ;)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline cockerlover1

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 03:23:40 PM »
PAH says it all really, they have some good vets working for them. However it's all sell sell sell !!!glad you got sorted in the end.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 04:48:54 PM »
This has made me curious. Are the first vaccines being done earlier now? All my pups have come to me at 8 weeks and without having had any jabs at all. I got both sets done at my own vet so no problem with needing to use the same brand as the breeder.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 05:47:54 PM »
Same here, and we didn't get Ozzy until he was 11 weeks - he didn't have his first jabs until a week later (vet advised this in case he became poorly within a few days of getting him home - then we would know it was something he picked up at the breeder and not the vaccines).  I think that in future if we get another pup I'd find out whether the breeder was in the habit of getting the first jabs done, and then ask them not to if that was the case.  At least then you can take them to your own vet and you know they will be getting the same vaccine.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2013, 07:15:34 PM »
This has made me curious. Are the first vaccines being done earlier now? All my pups have come to me at 8 weeks and without having had any jabs at all. I got both sets done at my own vet so no problem with needing to use the same brand as the breeder.

I think some breeders like to start vaccines early and some either prefer to wait until later or leave it to the new owners. My first 2 Cockers, in the late 1980s, came to me unvaccinated and had their first vaccines about a week after I got them, so 9-10 weeks. William and his siblings had their first vaccines arranged by the breeder when they were 7 weeks old and Louis was unvaccinated when he came to me because his breeder's vet recommended waiting until at least 9 weeks old. Of them all, William is the only one who has had problems with his skin and digestion, but I don't know if that's just coincidence.

The WSAVA now recommends that puppies don't have their final core vaccine until 14-16 weeks old as if given earlier than that the effectiveness could be compromised by antibodies from the dam of the puppies. If given at 14-16 weeks there is 98% effectiveness. http://www.wsava.org/sites/default/files/New%20Puppy%20Owner%20Vaccination%20Guidelines%20May%202013_0.pdf

Quote - The WSAVA also states that the last puppy vaccine against the core diseases should be given at 14-16 weeks of age. This is because, before this time, the mother passes immunity to her puppies, and this ‘maternal immunity’ can prevent the vaccine from working. A high percentage (98%) of core puppy vaccines given between 14-16 weeks of age will provide immunity against parvovirus, distemper and adenovirus for many years, and probably for the life of the animal.

Offline QuaCKeReD

• Pebbles Puddleduck
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2013, 08:08:05 PM »

Our vets said they can do vaccines now from 6weeks as they use a certain brand.  However, second vaccine would still be at 11 weeks...so it's not really making the end point earlier, just getting the first one earlier.

Offline QuaCKeReD

• Pebbles Puddleduck
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2013, 08:13:05 PM »

I think some breeders like to start vaccines early and some either prefer to wait until later or leave it to the new owners. My first 2 Cockers, in the late 1980s, came to me unvaccinated and had their first vaccines about a week after I got them, so 9-10 weeks. William and his siblings had their first vaccines arranged by the breeder when they were 7 weeks old and Louis was unvaccinated when he came to me because his breeder's vet recommended waiting until at least 9 weeks old. Of them all, William is the only one who has had problems with his skin and digestion, but I don't know if that's just coincidence.

The WSAVA now recommends that puppies don't have their final core vaccine until 14-16 weeks old as if given earlier than that the effectiveness could be compromised by antibodies from the dam of the puppies. If given at 14-16 weeks there is 98% effectiveness. http://www.wsava.org/sites/default/files/New%20Puppy%20Owner%20Vaccination%20Guidelines%20May%202013_0.pdf

Quote - The WSAVA also states that the last puppy vaccine against the core diseases should be given at 14-16 weeks of age. This is because, before this time, the mother passes immunity to her puppies, and this ‘maternal immunity’ can prevent the vaccine from working. A high percentage (98%) of core puppy vaccines given between 14-16 weeks of age will provide immunity against parvovirus, distemper and adenovirus for many years, and probably for the life of the animal.

Interesting, thought boosters were every year, not just first 12 months...

Offline valcam

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 08:53:38 PM »
A quick update, Poppy had her second jabs on Friday at Vets for Pets, excellent vet who even gave us a guided tour of the back rooms of the practice. I did alot of research on the internet and read that some breeders prefer to have the puppies vaccinated while still in there care in case there is an adverse reaction as they would be possibly more experienced than a first time puppy parent to deal with this, don't know how correct that is.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 10:40:47 PM »
The amount of times I've heard this, it's absolute rubbish.  I had confirmation from 3 companies to say ALL vaccines are made by the same company they just have different companies labels on them.  A bit like buying Asda, Lloyds or Boots paracetamol - it's the same drug just different labels.

as a rescue we've looked into this (and we use quite a few different vets around South Wales) and no they're not all the same - basically being vaxed by one make then another means a pup wouldn't be fully vaxed
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2013, 11:43:58 PM »

During the last 3 or so years many UK vets have changed from full annual vaccinations to only Lepto annually and core vaccines every 3 years, providing a dog was vaccinated as a puppy and had a full set again a year later. However, there are still vets who like to do the full set every year >:( even though neither the WSAVA or the vaccine manufacturers believe it necessary.  

The WSAVA now goes a step further and is promoting titre testing, stating that after the puppy and one year vaccinations many dogs will be fully protected by those core vaccines for many years, perhaps for life, and that re-vaccinating every 3 years may not be necessary and shouldn't be done just as a matter of course. Many UK vets are finding that concept difficult (including mine) >:(

Offline PennyB

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2013, 08:37:19 AM »

During the last 3 or so years many UK vets have changed from full annual vaccinations to only Lepto annually and core vaccines every 3 years, providing a dog was vaccinated as a puppy and had a full set again a year later. However, there are still vets who like to do the full set every year >:( even though neither the WSAVA or the vaccine manufacturers believe it necessary. 

The WSAVA now goes a step further and is promoting titre testing, stating that after the puppy and one year vaccinations many dogs will be fully protected by those core vaccines for many years, perhaps for life, and that re-vaccinating every 3 years may not be necessary and shouldn't be done just as a matter of course. Many UK vets are finding that concept difficult (including mine) >:(

My vet is fine with this reduced schedule but they do prefer you to do full puppy vax followed by full vax the 1st year then reduced schedule after that - it didn't take much persuasion for my vets to change - my vet does do a lot of continuing development courses, which I think helps
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline QuaCKeReD

• Pebbles Puddleduck
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2013, 05:22:16 PM »

My vet is fine with this reduced schedule but they do prefer you to do full puppy vax followed by full vax the 1st year then reduced schedule after that - it didn't take much persuasion for my vets to change - my vet does do a lot of continuing development courses, which I think helps

What is downside of giving booster every year, instead of every 3? Is it bad for the dog, or just not needed?

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2013, 05:30:33 PM »

What is downside of giving booster every year, instead of every 3? Is it bad for the dog, or just not needed?

Not needed, provided the dog was properly vaccinated when a puppy and again a year later. After that the core vaccines at most need doing every 3 years and may last a lot longer than that, hence the suggestion of titre testing instead of potentially over vaccinating. Over vaccinating could be bad for the dog and cause a reaction that might be mild or could possibly even trigger auto immune diseases.