Author Topic: Genetic Throwback! Umbilica hernia and retained testicle :/  (Read 748 times)

Offline RoryRawr

Genetic Throwback! Umbilica hernia and retained testicle :/
« on: October 10, 2013, 04:28:00 PM »
Hi all,

My little puppy is 4 months 2 weeks old, he still had only one testicle and no sign what so ever of the other one appearing :(

My vets have quoted between £150 and £250 to find the missing ball and castrate, is this normal prices or am i being robbed blind haha!  :005:

He also has an umbilical hernia which has been getting larger over the past couple of weeks, only slightly but its definitely noticeable.

Little b***** is going to cost me an arm and a leg, he also needs special feed because he has a very sensitive digestive system and most just runs straight through him, hes also had a few water infections..

Im not a bad owner  :016: and i care for him above and beyond, but i just cant stop these things happening to him!

Has anybody else had experience with any of these things? Its just one this after another atm, i feel like i will of won the lottery if he makes it to one! he's always in and out of the vets, good breeding obviously means nothing to the health of these pups!  >:D

Thankyou for reading..

One stressed out mummy!  :005:

Offline RoryRawr

Re: Genetic Throwback! Umbilica hernia and retained testicle :/
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 04:29:21 PM »
can i just notify i havnt swore there!  :luv: I have no idea why its starred** Oh my god that looks bad haha!

:fear2: :fear2: :fear2: :013:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 04:56:50 PM »
can i just notify i havnt swore there!  :luv: I have no idea why its starred** Oh my god that looks bad haha!

:fear2: :fear2: :fear2: :013:

You can change it to whatever it should be by going to the post, click on modify button (to the right of the title), type in whatever you want it to say and press "save" as you normally would when posting :D

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 05:06:51 PM »
At 4 months old there's still time for the retained testicle to appear, so you don't need to make a decision yet. Also, personally I wouldn't have a Cocker castrated before at least 12 months old. They need time to mature physically before castration, especially with regard to their growth plates. If castrated early they have a higher chance of having cruciate ligament problems (can need major surgery and weeks of crate confinement) and other limb and joint problems because the growth plates may not have closed at the correct time.

My older Cocker was castrated at 15 months because his retained testicle hadn't appeared but there are plenty of people on here with Cockers where an undescended testicle descended anywhere up to a year old, maybe a bit older. So please don't rush into anything.

My younger Cocker has a hernia, roughly pea sized. When he had his vaccinations the vet was keen for me to book him in at 6 months for castration and hernia removal. The hernia didn't grow any bigger and Louis, now 4, still has his testicles and his hernia :005:. I realise it may be different for Rory's hernia if it keeps growing though.

Finally :lol2:, what are you feeding him on? It may be that a grain free kibble will help as grains are difficult for dogs to digest and they don't even need them in their diet. My dogs are raw fed and thrive on it, but it's not for everyone.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
Neither of Ozzy's testicles made an appearance - he has just had them both removed at 17 months old and the total cost was £237.  So no, I don't think you are being robbed - we were quoted anywhere between £200 and £300, depending on where the testicles actually were - turns out they were 'inguinal' which means they were half way down.  The vet will probably push you to have him 'done' sooner rather than later, but it is better to wait until they are at least a year old, older if possible.  But if the testicle fails to make an appearance it really will need to be removed as it could turn cancerous.  If you have insurance then check with the company as they may well pay out for the op. 
As for the digestive problems, it would be interesting to know what food you are using and how much you are giving - sometimes over-feeding can cause the runs.

Offline RoryRawr

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 04:33:34 PM »
Thanks, I've decided to give him until Feb for the missing ball to appear, given the risk of cancer but also the possibility of it arriving!

:D

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 04:42:40 PM »
Thanks, I've decided to give him until Feb for the missing ball to appear, given the risk of cancer but also the possibility of it arriving!

:D

We were given the advice that it was better to let them mature before having retained testicles removed, so 15-18 months would be the ideal time.