Author Topic: Toileting  (Read 592 times)

Offline Jules48

Toileting
« on: October 14, 2013, 07:16:54 AM »
I've sort of cracked it with Wooster our rescue dog who's 9months. But he's now started weeing on our bed. He's even gone to do it in front of me when I'm in it. Really don't know what to do!  We have another spaniel who's 7. HELP!

Offline Walshies

• Fudge - our lovely chocolate boy
    • Masarnen Ramblers
Re: Toileting
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 09:22:25 AM »
We don't allow Fudge on the bed as we consider it unhygienic although I appreciate some people are content to do so and that's fine.  It may seem obvious but I'd not allow him on the bed.
Check out our website at www.masarnenramblers.com

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 09:45:47 AM »
Yep I'm with Walshie. We were clear from the start that the dog was never going to be allowed in the bedroom, and we stuck to it. I appreciate some people start out that way and then change their minds once the dog arrives! Just be firm. Close the door. Ignore the whining. It's heart rending but it stops eventually! If it's the only place he is toileting inappropriately then you need to make it easy for him to succeed by not letting him in there- before it becomes too  much of a habit. Could be something texture related - something about the blanket/ covers on the bed!  :huh:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 09:55:22 AM »
Although I do allow Minstrel on the bed and have done so since I got him (with supervision obviously so he cannot jump/fall off) - he would be turfed off smartish if I found he was peeing on it...or worse. In the daytime I shut the door, but now it is getting cooler at nights I put the gate up to allow warm air to circulate, without allowing him access when I am not in the room.

HBP has good point about texture, If I put an old towel or matting etc on my tiled floors (kitchen, hall, bathroom) - it is most likely Minstrel will pee on them if in hurry, however he does not seem to like bare cold floors so will ask to go out.  
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline janek

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 10:34:27 AM »
Could he be trying to mast your scent a kinda dominance thing being that he is that age
Janek

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 11:00:11 AM »
I don't think it's a dominance thing at all, but as he's fairly new to you and a rescue he may be feeling anxious and insecure. Both of those emotions in a dog can lead to peeing in appropriate places, very often somewhere that smells strongly of the owner, like a bed or a sofa, or on an item of clothing or shoes. I think the theory behind it stems from behaviour in wild dog species, where puppies and anxious animals will try to hide where they urinate and defecate as a sort of defensive thing to keep themselves safe.

I'd suggest you keep him off the bed and out of the bedroom for the time being and just continue with his housetraining and getting him used to his new home. If you see him doing it please don't yell at him or anything like that as that might simply make him think that peeing when you're around is wrong and he'll be more likely to find other hidden places to pee.

I'm sure he'll come through this (annoying) phase as he grows more confident and settled in his new home.

Offline Jules48

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 08:40:23 PM »
Thank you for all the advice. It wasn't my choice to have him in the bedroom was himself, and scrumps sleeps in our room but in his bed. Wooster has become more anxious recently!  I have mode his crate into our bedroom unfortunately he howls incredibly loudly and I have two children who's bedrooms are directly over the kitchen so that isn't an option. We will see, maybe he needs a little more affection as well!