Author Topic: Am I expecting too much?  (Read 730 times)

Offline lesley3165

Am I expecting too much?
« on: October 28, 2013, 03:51:11 PM »
Am I being unrealistic that meg should be starting to settle in the daytime? We have really good nights with her, she settles down about 8.30 and gets up about 6am - 7am depending on when we get up. But once she is up she is almost constantly on the go. She has 2 walks, about 9.30 and 4.30 each lasting about 45 minutes. Mostly it is off lead depending who takes her. In the house we play with her (she seems unable to play by herself, quickly losing interest) and do lots of "find it" games. In between all this she is constantly trying to chew anything she shouldn't. We have about a 1 hour sleep about 2-3 but other than that she is never still.  >:D
I hear of other owners saying they take their dog for a walk, he/she mooches round for a little while, plays with their toys and then sleeps until the next walk.
I know she is only a baby but just wondered if I am over stimulating her and need to leave her to settle a bit (although to be honest if I leave her she just finds something "illegal" to chew >:D
Any advice gratefully welcome  :D

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Re: Am I expecting too much?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 07:38:19 PM »
This is exactly what Archie was like. With the slight difference that he never slept all night either! He seemed to be constantly on the go. Only our training classes seemed to guarantee a sleepy dog when we got home. I did start to take him for a short (20min) walk at about 7pm which helped a bit. I kept him busy with a treat ball or long lasting chew like a hoof, pizzle or raw bone. He too would (and will) destroy anything within reach if he is left to his own devices. Happily he calmed down when he was about 18 months old. He will now sleep for much longer chunks of the day although still never all night. I'm sure Meg will start to settle too but it does take a surprisingly long time with some of them.

Offline lesley3165

Re: Am I expecting too much?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 08:28:04 AM »
Thank you for your reply, I was feeling very down about her yesterday and some days do wonder if we have done the right thing in getting another dog. Today is a new day, onwards and upwards.