Author Topic: New pup worry  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Bruffies

New pup worry
« on: November 06, 2013, 10:51:13 PM »
Our new pup, Thibaut, arrived home 2 weeks ago, and although before we had him, I was thinking sleepless nights, chewing etc he has been a little angel. Having Lottie (our 10 year old cocker) around has helped, she has shown him the ropes, where the treat cupboard is, who's bed is who's and although she doesn't want to play with him she is giving him plenty of space to play whilst she watches from the comfort of the sofa:)

He has had his second injection on Monday, and Advocate treatment and the vet did inform us that he may be a little sleepy. He has been quite the opposite and there seemed to be no affect until tonight - when I arrived home he was shaking his head, quite unsettled, crying in pain. I rang the emergency vets and he said to keep an eye on him but said it could be a reaction to the Advocate or injection.

He is settled now, chewing a toy, but it was so upsetting earlier to see him like this. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?, cause it is not something I have ever seen - looks like I will be back at the vets in the morning to be on the safe side.

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
Re: New pup worry
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 11:41:10 PM »
I'm surprised that the vet gave advocate as well as the 2nd vaccination at the same time - quite a lot for a little body to take on all at once.  Even adult dogs can struggle with it -  a friends collie was quite out of sorts for a couple of days after having treatments together, vaccinations , flea treatment and worming. I would generally avoid doing treatments at the same time.  Hope you little boy is back to his normal self soon  :luv:
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Bruffies

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 07:50:53 AM »
Thanks for this, not my normal vet as he had had his first jab when we picked him up and my vets didn't do Canigen and I really didn't want him to have to start again. Funny I did question at the tine should there be a couple of days between these treatments but was assured it would be fine.

Going to get him checked out this morning by my normal vet, I trust them more.  He does seem a bit better this morning no more crying but want to be on safe side and reassured.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 08:11:46 AM »
I agree with supergirl, that the vet shouldn't have done the vaccination and applied Advocate at the same time.

Please make sure that your vet notes Thibaut's records that he's had a reaction to either a vaccination or Advocate or both if that's what he thinks it is. If he were mine I wouldn't use Advocate again and would make sure that he's in perfect health whenever he's next vaccinated.

Personally I don't use flea or tick preventatives on my dogs and I follow the WSAVA guidelines on core vaccines, which recommend puppy vaccinations and a booster one year later, then titre testing after that as the initial vaccinations may have given lifetime immunity, certainly at least several years immunity, so the 3 yearly boosters that many vets still promote probably aren't needed.

I'm glad that Thibaut has settled in so well with you :luv:

Offline MANDYANDALFIE

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 08:40:16 AM »
2 days after I brought Alfie home at 8 weeks, I took him to the vet and he was checked over, given his 1st vaccination and Advocate.  He went downhill over the next 3 or 4 days and ended up on a drip suffering with anaemia.   I would definately be looking for reassurance that the pup is well.

Offline linda c

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 12:08:25 PM »
I also agree that the vet shouldn't have given the 2nd injection and the advocate on the same day.
I always leave a couple of days or even a week between giving my boy any treatments and he's
9 years old. Hope he gets back to normal soon  :luv:

Offline **kookie**

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 12:12:39 PM »
I was told to leave a week between the vaccine and the advocate. poor soul, that's a lot for a little body to deal with all at once.
Kookie, Bailey & Dora x

Offline Fanofjess

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 02:21:14 PM »
Jessie was very glum after her first injection. I ended up taking her back to the vet because she was SO sleepy and also breathing very quickly. He gave me reassurance that she was fine, and said to only worry if she was sick, if the inside of her eyelids went white or pale, or if I pressed on her gum it went pink straight way after going white.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 02:46:07 PM »
Sorry to hijack your thread slightly Bruffies, but this may be of use to you anyway.

Vets are supposed to report vaccination reactions to DEFRA, but they're not obliged to, and apparently many don't (anecdotal evidence from numerous sources). But if your dog or cat has a reaction, however mild, you can report it yourself following this link http://www.petwelfarealliance.org/report-a-suspected-adverse-reaction.html and going from there to the appropriate part of the veterinary medicines paged on the DEFRA website. I've only just found this today and will be using it to report William's reaction (small lump at vaccination site and lethargy) after his Lepto. vaccination 13 months ago. I've since been advised by a vet not to have vaccinated against Leptospirosis again. The vet felt that the risk in vaccinating William outweighs the risk of him contracting Leptospirosis and that if William was his he wouldn't vaccinate him.

Offline Bruffies

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 08:31:46 PM »
Just to update you all. l have taken him to my usual vet this morning, and although she did not say too much when I asked about the Canigen and Advocate. She assured me that she is not keen on the all in one treatments like Advocate and that is why it is not used in the practice. She has marked his record and said they use a different brand of injections as well. (I must say, that Lottie has never had Advocate in all her 10 years)

He has had a clean bill of health, his ears were nice and clear, no temperature, teeth ok and basically he was on his best behaviour walking across the desk to get as much fuss as was on offer from the receptionist:)

Feel happier tonight, Thibaut is absolutely fine. Thanks for all the comments and will ring the vet who administered the injection to report the reaction but he won't be going there again anyway as I trust my usual vet and they are only 5 minutes up the road.

Just need to get him out and about next week now.......then the fun begins x

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 09:23:22 PM »
just a note
 i have had two opinions regarding vacinations and kennel cough vac. one vet would not do both together and yet another would  :dunno:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----