Author Topic: Messing in her bed....  (Read 891 times)

Offline Fanofjess

Messing in her bed....
« on: November 29, 2013, 01:23:24 PM »
Pease help! I ave no idea what to do, Jessie is being crate trained and is 12 weeks old, she has never had a wee or poo in her crate since we collected her at 7 1/2 weeks old, day or night. Today and on Friday she poohed in her bed in her crate, both times she had eaten but not been to the toilet prior to us going out, but she can sometimes wait two hours after eating before having a poo. We don't put paper in the crate or puppy pads. We used to put  paper in but as she never used it i stopped, it really concerns me that she is doing this but don't know what to do about it....... I don't want to put Paper in as I know she will just tear it up, does anyone have any suggestions please? F she needs to go I understand she can't wait, but I'm just so surprised she's going actually in her bed rather than next to it.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Re: Messing in her bed....
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 01:33:27 PM »
I've had 2 cockers (previous golden and current pupster) who both used to toilet in their bed, bad luck on my part I think!  I've been told that some dogs just do this, even though the consensus is that they'd rather not.  It is very frustrating, disheartening and time consuming dealing with it but when it happens, I remove pup and clean up without saying anything.

I dealt with this problem for nearly 12 weeks with my previous cocker (and believe me, cleaning it up twice a day is soul destroying  :'() but after doing some Separation Anxiety training with him (which was part of the problem), he suddenly stopped at 20 weeks old.

I am currently doing the same with Archie, my current pup and have good days and bad.  I try (as much as possible) to get him to poo before I have to leave him alone, otherwise I am resigned to a potential mess when I get back.  As with Odie, my previous cocker, he suffers from SA which in turn leads to him doing it when I'm not in view.  I live in the hope that he'll eventually grow out of it soon...
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 02:33:55 PM »
Not sure whether this will be helpful at all, but I’ve always found that a good feeding, sleeping, toileting routine works well for my dogs.  They are fed at set times when they are young puppies, and are always taken out to toilet after being fed.  If they don’t go, then they are crated unless I can watch them very closely.  That way if they want to go they usually ask and it reduces the chance of accidents.  Consequently they all learned to go after feeding.  This way it also becomes easier to predict when they are likely to want to go.  I wouldn’t leave her/ go out unless she’s toileted first (particularly if she’s recently eaten).  That way you reduce the likelihood of her needing to go when you aren’t about to let her out.  Also if you only leave her when she’s ‘empty’ she is much less likely to become distressed.  My 3 dogs still have a pretty strict routine, and every morning we go for a walk first thing, and in the evening when I get back from work.  They toilet like clockwork on each walk and it makes general planning of activities much easier.  Good luck with your puppy.  Am sure you will have this sorted soon.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 03:00:39 PM »
Just also have to point out that both Archie and Odie before him, have always been on a strict routine (have to with 2 kids to sort for school!).

I know when Archie goes for a poo (2 before school run!).  However, occasionally he will not do his 2nd before I have to leave him (sometimes he can't come with me so it's necessary).  On those occasions I am resigned to any mess he might have done in his crate.  He is fed at set times and taken outside after meals, playtime and basically any time I have to leave my chair (I work from home) and still he has accidents inside as he is a grass eater and will often not perform outside. 

My point is, even if you stage manage every aspect (as I do), there will be accident times. 

I will say that I think it may be a bit harder to toilet train pups and/or may have to deal with more Separation Anxiety problems as I'm at home all day as opposed to actually going out to work for the day/part of.
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Fanofjess

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 06:31:52 PM »
Thank you, we do feed at regular times, and have decided we need to bring breakfast forward to give her more time to perform before we go out.

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 08:44:53 PM »
Hudson hasn't pooed in his actual bed but he has done in his pen, next to his bed. He's also weed on if floor with his front legs in his bed and back legs out of it...  I don't think the "dog's won't mess there bed" rule is as hard and fast as people think.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 09:04:31 PM »
I think it's more that they don't like to mess in their bed and so ask to be let out. If they can't get out of the crate, they have no option other than to go in there. And as young puppies, and depending on space available, it is difficult for them to avoid fouling their bedding. (Many dogs walk around while toileting).
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 09:12:57 PM »
Hudson hasn't pooed in his actual bed but he has done in his pen, next to his bed. He's also weed on if floor with his front legs in his bed and back legs out of it...  I don't think the "dog's won't mess there bed" rule is as hard and fast as people think.

I was thinking the same thing to be honest - certainly seems to be quite a few that will, I don't believe it can be all 'owner error' Having said that Minstrel sleeps on my bed and even as a tiny pup I never found a puddle or worse when I woke up that was actually on the bed.. he did a couple of times go on the hall floor.

I did get up to take him out tho at some point in the night/early mornings for the first few weeks of having him.

So not really sure if some are just more prone than others
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 09:18:01 PM »

I was thinking the same thing to be honest - certainly seems to be quite a few that will, I don't believe it can be all 'owner error' Having said that Minstrel sleeps on my bed and even as a tiny pup I never found a puddle or worse when I woke up that was actually on the bed.. he did a couple of times go on the hall floor.

I did get up to take him out tho at some point in the night/early mornings for the first few weeks of having him.

Hudson will spend hours in my bed without weeing, and then do an enormous wee when I get up and take him out... How do they know!! :luv: :005:

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 09:53:17 PM »
Archie is the same, as soon as he's on the floor, a wee will follow....

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 11:15:01 PM »

Hudson will spend hours in my bed without weeing, and then do an enormous wee when I get up and take him out... How do they know!! :luv: :005:

I don't know how they know - but I'm bloomin' glad that they do   :005:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Fanofjess

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 06:44:16 AM »
Thanks everyone, we were also wondering if as she is so brilliant about a wee in the same spot in the garden and always asking to go out, if we continue to praise her lts verbally and cuddles with wees, but no treat, and go really to town in the excitement of her having a poo outside and her favourite treat, is that a good idea or not, don't want to undo the good wee work!

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 10:34:18 AM »
Thanks everyone, we were also wondering if as she is so brilliant about a wee in the same spot in the garden and always asking to go out, if we continue to praise her lts verbally and cuddles with wees, but no treat, and go really to town in the excitement of her having a poo outside and her favourite treat, is that a good idea or not, don't want to undo the good wee work!

Perhaps give a lesser treat for weeing, like a biscuit, and a really fabulous treat for pooping, like chicken or sausage. Two things I think you can never treat too much for is toilet training and recall!!