Author Topic: Teething  (Read 508 times)

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
Teething
« on: November 30, 2013, 11:11:16 AM »
Hudson seems to have lost his baby teeth and gained an almost full set of adult teeth in a really short space of time!! He's had plenty to chew and hasn't seemed too bothered by it, apart from forgetting his toilet training in spectacular fashion this week. A quick google search tells me that its quite common for puppies to lose their marbles when teething - has anyone else experienced this? I'm at my wits end!!  :'(

Also would teething give him diarrhoea? He had had diahrroea on Wednesday when I got home from work, so I starved him for 24 hours and then he had tiny rice meals on Friday. He hadn't pooed for 24 hours until this morning when (surprise surprise) he pooed in his pen when I left him for 5 minutes... >:D It wasn't a great poo though - is starving him the right thing to do if he has diarrhoea due to teething?

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
Re: Teething
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 11:26:49 AM »
Why not try some standard Chappie?  I always keep a tin in the cupboard if Jinley has a dicky tum.  The problem is sometimes they end up chewing stuff they shouldnt to relieve the discomfort in their gums (or their hunger).

I would just give a few small meals of chappie and some knotted wet tea towels which have been frozen.

If he wont eat that, I would give some plain cooked chicken.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 11:45:55 AM »
I'd try him on some cooked skinless chicken rather than just rice, so that he's getting some decent nutrition. Also, I wouldn't normally starve for diarrhoea simply caused by something like teething, but would give small meals and some pro-kolin or similar and I'd keep an eye on him to make sure he didn't become dehydrated..

Hope he's back to normal very soon.

Offline janek

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 01:21:29 PM »
Yes pro-kolin is good, if i was going to withhold food it wouldnt be for 24 hrs in a young pup i just feel its to long , and would always have fresh water available which i change after every drink while loose , in fact i'm not sure to with holdfood is good,there tends to be various thoughts  on this .
  If necessary i feed mashed potato no milk or butter of course and boiled white fish small amounts several times a day ,increasing if tummy seems ok until gradually going back onto normal diet
Janek

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 02:13:27 PM »
Yes, teething is a common reason for the runs in pups. All mine have had it. My vet mentioned that they no longer advise starving a dog but instead give plain chicken and rice. Some dogs can get the runs from chicken too apparently so plain fish and potato is another option.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 03:44:54 PM »
Yes teething can upset their tums - have a look at my feeding topic about Naturediet quandry, Helen put a link on which was very interesting reading.

Hint!! Prokolin is available on the net - no prescription necessary in small (15ml) medium (30ml) and large (60ml) at prices much cheaper than vets  ;)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.