Author Topic: 10 week old puppy 'nasty' biting  (Read 5531 times)

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
Re: 10 week old puppy 'nasty' biting
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 11:15:23 PM »
As in the noise: "ah ah ah!" Short, sharp, guttural sound. At varying volume depending on the nature of the crime  ;) Technical cocker jargon  :P

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 11:21:32 PM »
As in the noise: "ah ah ah!" Short, sharp, guttural sound. At varying volume depending on the nature of the crime  ;) Technical cocker jargon  :P

Ahh, thanks. I was thinking more along the lines of Assault Handgun  :D

I use the ah, ah, ah method which seems to work better than a NO.

Offline Rikki

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 07:08:58 AM »

I know what you mean about the answering back! He often steps back from me when I tell him off and does one of his small barks and raises his paw at me! Like I say though, he soon moves on.

Haha, this is exactly what Millie does, we really have to try to not laugh at her.

We have tried everything to stop her biting and the only method that seems to work for us is ignoring her. As people have previously mentioned, hen she bites just say 'ow!' or a firm 'no!' But immediately get up and walk out of the room. As we have a slightly open plan layout we walk in to the kitchen, turn our back to her and cross our arms. My partner and I both get up even if she has just tried biting one of us. We don't go back in to the other room until she has either sat down behind us calmly or if she goes back in to the lounge and lays down, this usually only takes about 30 seconds then we carry on as normal.

I created a thread similar to this one only a matter of days ago so I am far from an expert! Just hang in there and be consistent, the members on here are very helpful and have some great advice and support.

By the way, any pictures of your pup?

Offline PennyB

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 06:11:27 PM »
all pups are different and some can be a real nightmare going through the puppy stage - it will get better but with time and patience (even though sometimes you may be at your wits end) and positive methods

it also helps once they start going out and about as they get rid of some of that energy as well
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 07:00:56 PM »
Archie responds much better to "ah ah" than to "no". I also use it during find it games to let him know he's looking in the wrong place and that helps reinforce the fact that I say it when he isn't doing something right.
Think of it like the word at, but without pronouncing the T!

Offline Fluff

• Donator
  • Daisy the whirling dervish
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 07:05:05 PM »
Another AH AH user here, generally used for anything she isn't meant to be doing  :D

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 07:26:55 PM »
Well I can see myself using AH a lot in the next few weeks. The last two days have been the worst ever, just when we thought Murphy was beginning to calm down.

When I let him in from the garden now he goes straight on the attack with the added bonus of some growling thrown in too.

The cage of shame has been getting quite a hammering.

Offline warrenandcaroline

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2013, 12:22:40 PM »
We had a problem with Ozzy.  We signed up for puppy classes and before they started we had a one to one with the trainer.
She suggested moving down in Protein strength, as apparently SOME dogs (a minority) can get headachy/growly with high protein food all the time.
We were on Canagan and moved "down" to Symply Puppy.
That - along with consistency in Crating with set offences :police:, and IGNORING at tiumes slowly paid dividends.
We now just have an overexcitable ultra friendly almost 6 month old Woolly Mammouth Cocker puppy :005: