Author Topic: Worried about leaving Bailey for first time  (Read 763 times)

Offline mitches

Worried about leaving Bailey for first time
« on: December 10, 2013, 09:13:01 AM »
We got our 8wk old puppy on Fri. We have been with her most of the time and put her in her crate when she goes to sleep, but today I have to go to work for a couple of hours this morning. I am worried that she will be distressed when she wakes up and finds out nobody will be there to comfort her.
I know she has to get used to it though.
She will be locked in her crate so shouldn't come to any harm.
She was up 4 times during the night, doesn't take long to settle and goes back in her crate, but its very tiring!
She does most of her pees and poos on the paper so no complaints there.

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Worried about leaving Bailey for first time
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 09:31:06 AM »
Am sure she will be fine.  I work, so have had to do the same a week after I got my puppies (I now have 3 cockers and all adapted fine).  Just make sure she has been out to toilet and had a play so she's tired and comfortable, and leave her with a filled kong and or hoof/ nylabone to chew and a couple of toys.  Just think how excited she's going to be when you get back  :D
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline mitches

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
Thanks just need a bit of reassurance  :blink:

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 09:55:55 AM »
Hi, Bailey will be fine.  It would have been easier if you had built it up in 10 minute stages, eg putting her in her pen while you had a shower or popped to the shops etc. but 2 hours isnt really that long.

Remove her collar have a good play before you go and you will find that you will be more stressed than she will be!!

Offline mitches

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 11:48:19 AM »
Hi I have left her a few times to go to shops etc, but think she slept through it so she didn't know I wasn't there.
I'm not long back and she was crying a bit, but no pees and poos in her crate :)
Will have to leave her a bit longer tomorrow but have to start sometime.
Thanks this forum is so helpful.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 12:12:24 PM »
Hi I have left her a few times to go to shops etc, but think she slept through it so she didn't know I wasn't there.
I'm not long back and she was crying a bit, but no pees and poos in her crate :)

All good then, but I bet you couldnt wait to get back!!

I read somewhere I think that dogs have no concept of time which figures really when I get the same welcome when I have been out for a couple of hours as when I have taken out the bin  :lol2: :lol2:

Great that she had not messed her crate, she obviously was not stressed and probably slept while you were out.  :clapping: :clapping:

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 12:54:45 PM »

I read somewhere I think that dogs have no concept of time which figures really when I get the same welcome when I have been out for a couple of hours as when I have taken out the bin  :lol2: :lol2:

Great that she had not messed her crate, she obviously was not stressed and probably slept while you were out.  :clapping: :clapping:

I don't think that dogs have any concept of time and generally sleep when left. It could have been ten minutes or 4 hours.

The only thing that tells them otherwise is a full bladder.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 01:00:04 PM »
Sounds like a good start!

Unfortunately, for the second time with a cocker, mine hate me being out of sight (either in another room or out of the house).  It has lead to both of them whining, crying and messing in their crates every time left alone  :'( which causes no end of problems for me. 
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline mitches

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 04:39:22 PM »
Gosh Geordietyke, that would be a nightmare, all that cleaning up and washing :(
I'm not getting all my regular jobs done at the mo!
Elaine

Offline JamiesGirl

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 05:12:12 PM »

I don't think that dogs have any concept of time and generally sleep when left. It could have been ten minutes or 4 hours.

im 100% sure Jamie can tell the time, once i was half an hour later back on a monday than usual and OH said Jamie hadn't stopped crying for that half an hour.
🐾 Jamie's Girl - Sara 🐾

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 09:45:30 PM »

im 100% sure Jamie can tell the time, once i was half an hour later back on a monday than usual and OH said Jamie hadn't stopped crying for that half an hour.

Archie knows when I overrun giving a harp lesson. After and hour of snoozing quietly beside me he will get up and stand between pupil and harp, effectively stopping them playing it.

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 10:00:06 PM »

Archie knows when I overrun giving a harp lesson. After and hour of snoozing quietly beside me he will get up and stand between pupil and harp, effectively stopping them playing it.

:005: :005: