Author Topic: Worried - Murphy going into kennels  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Murphys Law

Worried - Murphy going into kennels
« on: January 24, 2014, 09:19:45 AM »
Tomorrow my wife and I are going away for a week to celebrate her 50th.

Murphy is going into kennels this afternoon.

Over the last month the change in Murphy has been dramatic (in a good way) He is now a delight and getting better all the time. He is becoming far less interested in destroying things and far more affectionate. Even this morning, he woke up, came onto our bed and snuggled under the cover for half an hour. Something we didn't think would be possible not long ago.

I am worried that he might not come back the same dog. The kennels he is booked into is excellent and I have paid for an extra half hour walk on top of the two walks he will receive every day. Has anyone got any advice to help make Murphy's stay as stress free as possible?

Also, any (positive) experiences of young dogs going into kennels to help me relax and enjoy our holiday.

Thanks.

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
Re: Worried - Murphy going into kennels
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 09:24:09 AM »
I haven't left any of our current dogs in kennels as we have been lucky enough to take them on holiday with us.
However, in the past I have left dogs in kennels and would say the best thing to help them settle is to take their blankets and a favourite toy or two with them - also maybe something that smells of you?

I know how you feel - my little Poppy has gone off with a friend today who is doing a grooming course and wanted to borrow her to groom..... Although I totally trust my friend and know that Poppy is going to be fine with her, I felt terrible waving her off this morning.  And she will be home tonight - so you must feel even sadder :)  However, you are confident you have booked Murphy into a good kennel and are happy with them - I am sure he will be fine.

Think how delighted you will both be when you come home - he will be so pleased to see you so enjoy your break, but look forward to your home coming too!

Have fun, relax and enjoy. (I am sure you could phone the kennels too during the week to see how he is doing)

Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 12:16:49 PM »
we have left pepper a number of times. you say you have chosen carefully so you should have confidence in them. i think it was a good idea to pay for the extra walk, actually for cocker spaniels i think the thing they need is the human contact.as mentioned above send familiar things and a t shirt or something with your smell on. also if you have any particiular training words you are using i would mention this as he is a young puppy and you don't want him getting confused.i know this is hard but you know he is somewhere safe with people you understand him. try to enjoy your holiday, you'll be back on full time care when you return! if you can ask if you can phone to check on him, i find that it is the first 24 hourts are the hardest and once you know he is eating and settling you'll be fine.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 03:38:46 PM »
Well we are now cockerless for a week or so.

I decided not to go and see Murphy in his pen (probably for my benefit and not Murphy's) but I did happen to see him looking at me through his door as I drove off  :'(

I am sure he will be fine. I left him with his favourite toys, his towel and the smelliest t-shirt of mine I could find :-\

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 04:19:00 PM »
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: to you all, i hope you both enjoy your break and try not to worry too much, although i have never left my two at kennels ph34r  think of all those Murphy cocker snogs when you get back ;) :D
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 05:49:08 PM »
Wilf & Stella were in kennels for 6 weeks last year and I'd do it again - Clare who ran the kennels kept me in touch by phone or email and she said every time she went near the kennels they were the happiest of the dogs there

Your dog may be a little clingy when you come home (mine are but then they are if they go to a dog sitter as well) - don't overmollycoddle him though just act as if everything OK and as it was before
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 06:30:15 PM »
We went away when Bonnie was 6 months old (we had booked the holiday before getting her) and we were very worried. We did 3 trial stays over 3 weeks prior to the 8 days stay. I have to say that when we returned it did take a day or 2 for her to return to normal as she was so hyper on seeing us again the excitement didn't wear off quickly! She also had a couple of wee accidents and had gotten into the habit of jumping up us again. But, long term effects or effects on training were nil.

Once back in a routine there were no lasting problems whatsoever. Bonnie stayed again at 10 months just for 3 nights and was absolutely fine that time. So, I would relax and enjoy your holiday without any worrying. You will be amazed by your welcome home though....our kennel owner laughed his head off at Bonnie's excitement n said he'd never seen such a fantastic welcome home!! Enjoy xxx

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 06:36:19 PM »
Thanks, I am feeling much happier about things, apart from the fact we haven't even packed yet and are leaving for the airport at 7am :doh:

Offline Mutley

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 06:44:04 PM »
wishing you a lovely, lovely holiday!
(I'm 50 this year and hoping my other half will organise something nice)!

Offline Lottielove

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 07:55:50 PM »
I hope you'll have a lovely time away, and try not to worry.

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 10:47:23 PM »
Totally sympathise as I would be the same! Enjoy your holiday  :D x

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 08:25:51 PM »
Well here I am sitting in a departure lounge counting down the hours until I can pick Murphy up. We are going to the kennels straight from the airport and by my calculations he will be ( hopefully) giving us some cocker kisses in 13  hours time.

Is it wrong to be so excited about going home? :005:

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 08:31:44 PM »
from the minute we leave ours
 we wonder what they are doing,
wondering if they are missing us
 keep saying they would love it here (where ever we are)
and discuss when we are collecting them
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 08:35:42 PM »
Quote from: Murphys Law link=topic=109467.msg1600756#msg1600756 dateliterally hundreds351
Well here I am sitting in a departure lounge counting down the hours until I can pick Murphy up. We are going to the kennels straight from the airport and by my calculations he will be ( hopefully) giving us some cocker kisses in 13  hours time.

Is it wrong to be so excited about going home? :005:

:luv:

We were on holiday for the fortnight before we picked Hudson up... we literally picked him up the day after we got back. That holiday was the single biggest waste of money of my life! Spent the entire holiday wishing the times away...

Enjoy your cocker snuggles  ;) x

Offline maddy74

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 09:00:07 PM »
Not wrong at all..... Not long now....  :D