Author Topic: Am starting to lose the will to live.... UPDATE PG 5  (Read 5614 times)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Re: Am starting to lose the will to live......
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2014, 12:07:41 PM »
Wow!  My Archie will have a good drink every time I go in the kitchen (many, many times a day).  Just checked and bowl holds 2 pints (1.13l litres) so it does sound a lot of water so makes sense all the weeing he's doing.  Odie never drank very much either, I remember throwing most of it away before bedtime.  I may have to get him checked out at the vets, just in case.

Oh yes ShazzaC - unlucky is the word  :'(  I'm surprised I even contemplated a 2nd golden cocker this time round  :P
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Wmjat

• Teddy Boy
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2014, 12:58:41 PM »
I hope it falls into place soon for you!!

I'm off for a cosy indoors cup of coffee!!!  :005:
 ;)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2014, 01:04:24 PM »
 :005:

Have booked him in to see the vets on Friday morning.
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline mitches

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2014, 01:05:36 PM »
Wow thats seems like a load of pees! Bailey has about 10 a day.
She is still on 3 meals of dried food and does drink quite a lot, but not 2 bowls.

Elaine

Offline mitches

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2014, 01:06:44 PM »
Good luck with vet, lets us know how you get on.

Take care
Ealine :)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2014, 01:13:18 PM »
Cheers  :D

Offline Wmjat

• Teddy Boy
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2014, 01:28:55 PM »
Yes good luck at the vets. X

Offline ElvieMogs

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2014, 01:58:28 PM »
I think its rare in puppies but could he have diabetes? Just wondering as he is very small considering his breeding and it does cause failure to thrive as well as thirst and peeing a lot. It would make him tired and lethargic too though

Ps. Have just seen your other thread so you've already thought of this. At least it'll show up on a water test

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2014, 02:05:58 PM »
Ebony was 3 before she would ask to go out and even now you get about 2 mins to let her out before she'll go by the back door for a poo!
She was the 1st puppy I house trained without paper indoors and followed to the letter taking her out every time she'd had a play, eaten, or evey 20-30 mins. We got her when there was thick snow,followed by weeks of rain which she loved for playing in and I spent ages with her trying to get her to wee or poo. It became a real battle of wills and I think that was the problem.

However when we went to our caravan she was only too happy to go out and perform, it didn't make sense. In the end I decided she was stressed to go outside at home. In the end I carried on getting her to go out, but didn't go with her and praised her to the hilt when she went. I totally ignored when she went inside, although she still went to the cupboard for a treat  >:D. Eventually there was a lightbulb moment and she worked out she only got a treat for going outside.

Providing there is no underlying medical issue,my only advice is, hang in there, just ignore the messing indoors and go wild with praise and treats when he goes outside. He will get it eventually. Hope it goes well at the vets and that he's just contrary  :luv:

Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »
Wow!  My Archie will have a good drink every time I go in the kitchen (many, many times a day).  Just checked and bowl holds 2 pints (1.13l litres) so it does sound a lot of water so makes sense all the weeing he's doing.  Odie never drank very much either, I remember throwing most of it away before bedtime.  I may have to get him checked out at the vets, just in case.

Oh yes ShazzaC - unlucky is the word  :'(  I'm surprised I even contemplated a 2nd golden cocker this time round  :P

Perhaps he's drinking out of habit!! H went through a phase where he just seemed to drink for the sake of it... like if in doubt, have a drink! Any gap in attention/ entertainment... have a drink! Maybe only half fill his bowl?  :005:

Also, don't know if you're thinking of changing his food or if you've already done it now but H seemed to drink more on one brand of kibble than his current one...  :huh:

Jusy random outloud thoughts,  sorry!

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2014, 02:50:16 PM »
I changed onto the adult food about 3/4 weeks ago after gradually incorporating it with his puppy kibble for 2 weeks.  He's always drank lots from day one but I suppose I've not really thought about it as I was focusing on his toilet training.....

He only gets lots of praise and a treat if he performs outside, otherwise he'll not get anything!  He knows his cue words, I'll say "do you want the toilet?" and he'll run to the front door.  I also always use them outside which if he's so inclined, he'll perform.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2014, 03:10:30 PM »
Hopefully the vet will find nothing wrong but at least if something flags up it might help sort things out. Everything crossed. I think he's just a cheeky, cheeky boy!  :luv:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2014, 03:19:14 PM »
Minstrel is on Naturediet wet & very rarely drinks from his bowl. He will go pee and usually poop when I first let him out in the morning (about 8ish) and will pee sometimes on his walk and in the garden. Because the food is wet I guess he gets enough moisture from that.

I agree it can be a habit thing - I remember the night time saga of drink/pee, drink/pee drink......, until I decided to take his water up at night after his last visit to the garden....not saying I was right or wrong & with Archie being on dried food maybe not such a good idea, but it worked for us.

Sometimes Minstrel will drink if he is unsure of something.

Hope he gets on ok on Friday
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2014, 04:18:48 PM »
Archie doesn't have any water overnight.  As he's in our bedroom with us, I know if he wakes up - he doesn't (I'm a very light sleeper) and I never gave Odie any overnight either and all was OK.  He just seems a bit obsessed with his water!

Offline rednblack

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2014, 05:16:21 PM »
Really sorry to read about the problem you are having with Archie  :bigarmhug: .

I see you are taking him to the vet on Friday - it might be worth seeing if they can check for a neurological problem which might be interfering with the signals between Archie's bladder/bowel and his brain.  I suggest this because Dom was very clean in the house until a weekend when he poo'ed several times in the kitchen;  taken to the vet, he was found to have lumbar spondylosis which was disrupting the nerve signals.  He is on daily Metacam and there has been no more problem.

Best wishes for finding a solution to this problem very soon.
Remembering Rex, Janna, Toni, Billy, Rufus and Ebony - gone beyond recall.