Author Topic: Insurance claim question  (Read 2120 times)

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
Insurance claim question
« on: February 06, 2014, 06:57:08 PM »
I have just made a claim for Hattie, everything has gone smoothly but our vets have informed us we still owe £9. When I've looked at the itemised bill, this is the vets insurance admin fee. I have never paid this before with my old vets, is it common practice? I paid the bill to the vets in full and also gave them a stamped address envelope to send the claim to the insurance company.  So all they had to do was print off an itemised bill and a medical history for Hattie in the last 12 months.  I know its not a lot of money but surely it should be put on the bill as I already pay £75 excess.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline jasper_boy

• Jacob's Den
Re: Insurance claim question
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 07:16:24 PM »
Every vet practice is different. My vets have started to do this as an annual fee rather than per form, but at Vets Now they do charge £12 per form. The insurance company would not cover this cost, as it is your vet's charging you for the time that they are completing the form.

Offline linda c

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 08:00:37 PM »
A lot of vets charge an administration fee now for every claim they put through. It's payable by the owner direct to the practise for them doing the paperwork. Think our vet charges £12.

Offline MANDYANDALFIE

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 08:17:48 PM »
I also paid this fee (similar amount) for my vet to claim directly rather than me paying the vet and then waiting for reimbursement from the insurance company.  The bill was almost £3,000 so worth it in my opinion.  There was also a separate claim shortly after for hydrotherapy.  I filed the claim forms but needed the hydrotherapist to complete her bit.  She charged £20 to fill in a couple of boxes and sign the form.  I'd paid her as we went along and was furious that there was absolutely no way round this charge which in my opinion was excessive.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 08:46:05 PM »
I was at my vet surgery a couple of weeks ago for the first time in ages and noticed they now have a sign saying they charge an administration fee for completing insurance forms. I think the fee is £12 >:(

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 09:05:55 PM »
I've only ever come across this at the eye vet clinic but do know some others charge (my vet practice doesn't - yet)

plus you can't claim on the insurance
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 08:58:31 AM »
Oh sounds like its becoming the norm.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 09:30:38 PM »
I don't pay an admin fee at mine, but the vets fees in London are bigger anyway, so perhaps that takes it into account (I pay £44 for a visit). If they start charging on top of that it wouldn't be very popular!