Author Topic: Check ups  (Read 591 times)

EmmaG82

Check ups
« on: February 13, 2014, 07:11:49 PM »
Hello,
I'm new and have a 24 week old chocolate working cocker called Jack. He hang been to the vets since his second jabs and I just wondered whether he should be having a six month check up? I know they send a reminder for jabs but my vets has proved rather awful so I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on whether we should take him? He's always a busy boy, lovely looking thing and all his baby teeth are now gone. I'm not worried that he's poorly, just wondering if dogs do generally get check ups?

Offline MrsOmalley

• Donator
  • Bella and Millie born 01/10/2012
Re: Check ups
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 07:21:34 PM »
Our vet has a "practice plan" which covers annual boosters, monthly flea treatments, worm tablets and six monthly check ups.  We also get a reduction on consulting fees.  We pay a monthly fee to cover all this and it works out slightly less than "oay as you go".  Might be worth asking if you vet has something similar.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »
apart from jab time we only go when the dogs are poorly.
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 08:23:54 PM »
apart from jab time we only go when the dogs are poorly.
Ditto
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 08:38:38 PM »
Brodie had a six month general check up, just really checking her weight and general condition. The booklet I got when I registered her had entries for all the dates I was meant to take her (1st and 2nd vacs, six month and yearly check ups etc). I wouldn't say it's essential, although if I remember right it was that appointment that the vet first noticed her left ear was producing too much wax (and hasn't stopped since) and that she had an underbite that would have to be corrected.

x In memory of Barney x

EmmaG82

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 09:43:33 PM »
I might ring and ask. Little b***** has got the devil in him tonight so he's definitely coming on well

Offline maddy74

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 12:30:22 AM »
If he seems fine in himself i wouldn't worry. If you feel your vet isn't a good one it might be worth you finding another one as its important to have confidence in your vet.

Welcome to the forum btw, I'm Maddy and owned by a 3 year old working cocker called Willow.

Offline Walshies

• Fudge - our lovely chocolate boy
    • Masarnen Ramblers
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 09:01:42 AM »
Booster jab and check up at the year point for Fudge.  We asked the vets advice re this and they informed us that it was best to have him checked out yearly.  I trust the vet not to treat a yearly check up as a money making exercise.

Funny old thing - at the yearly check she found he had an issue with his ears.
Check out our website at www.masarnenramblers.com

EmmaG82

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 08:34:06 PM »
Thanks for the replies, will go for a one year checkup then I think. Although I'm anticipating a trip fairly soon after the little b***** jumped up to the table and stole a great big chicken wing from my hand!! And swallowed it whole. I'm worried about that working it's way through but he's had some pretty odd stuff make it through thus far. We hardly take our eyes off him yet he still managing to consume stuff that makes my eyes water when I see it come out!

Offline Walshies

• Fudge - our lovely chocolate boy
    • Masarnen Ramblers
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 11:40:38 PM »
Thanks for the replies, will go for a one year checkup then I think. Although I'm anticipating a trip fairly soon after the little b***** jumped up to the table and stole a great big chicken wing from my hand!! And swallowed it whole. I'm worried about that working it's way through but he's had some pretty odd stuff make it through thus far. We hardly take our eyes off him yet he still managing to consume stuff that makes my eyes water when I see it come out!
That chicken wing will probably make his eyes water!  :005: ph34r
Check out our website at www.masarnenramblers.com

EmmaG82

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 08:11:31 AM »
I know, dreading it for him! Poor little guy

EmmaG82

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 07:01:31 PM »
Took Jack in for a check up today and he's a perfect example of good health :) I'm pleased, was a bit worried we were maybe doing something wrong being our first pup but all is good. She couldn't feel any nasty chicken bones in the wrong places either so it looks like they made it to his tummy for digestion safely enough!