Author Topic: Worms.....  (Read 355 times)

Offline wayo47

Worms.....
« on: February 28, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »
Hi , I took Harri for his usual walk this morning and ..........sorry about this but when I went to pick up his poo I noticed these large white (looked like noodles ) bits in his poo, he has also been a lot hungrier and waking early , do you think this is related?

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Worms.....
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 11:38:12 AM »
Sounds like roundworm, as if it was tapeworm you'd see tiny white segments looking like grains of rice.

When was Harri last wormed? Puppies are usually wormed once a month until 6 months old as they can be born with roundworm given to them by their mother.

I would think the waking up early could easily be due to the mornings becoming lighter and the hunger could just be that he's growing a lot physically and has a good appetite.

Offline wayo47

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 12:59:41 PM »
Harri was wormed last week with advocate that we have off the vet, a neighbour of mine suggested also that maybe I should increase Harri' s food as we have only increased it slightly since we have had him. He does have a great appetite and is a lovely chunky boy, he is also very active and loves to be walked. But as I'm typing this he has had his lunch and is now crashed by the side of me!
If he has been treated does it mean that the worms if it is, will the treatment have worked? Sorry I know I sound dull but it worried me this morning!!!!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 01:18:20 PM »
Sounds like the Advocate is working, but if he was wormed a week or so ago I think it might be worth phoning the vet to ask if it's normal to still be seeing worms this long afterwards. I don't know the answer, but it might be worth asking the question :D

If you've only increased Harri's food slightly he may not be getting enough now that he's quite a lot older. How does he look? When you look down on him from above can you see a slight waist behind his ribs and when you touch his ribs can you feel them without pressing hard? If he has too much of a waist and you can quite easily feel or see his ribs then he may need more food. It's quite hard to judge though, as all pups are different and the guidelines on his food packaging are just that, guidelines.

He will probably change shape quite a lot over the next couple of months as he continues to grow upwards and may go through gangly looking stages until he's about 18 months or so and matures physically.

Offline wayo47

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 02:47:25 PM »
Thank you Elaine! Yes have just felt him now and you can feel his ribs! Bless think Im starving him!!! He is on Wainrights and loves it! So hard to when you are looking at the guidelines on these packages though, think Harri would eat all day though! Will keep an eye on his next poop although very hard trying to examine it whilst holding an excitable puppy on the lead :005:
Thank you for your reply you have put my mind at ease  :D