Author Topic: A big hello from Somerset  (Read 1225 times)

Offline hikingsaz

• "Betsy" my beautiful 5mth cocker spaniel.
A big hello from Somerset
« on: March 08, 2014, 10:56:50 AM »
Just introducing myself as I look at this forum everyday but never posted on it & introducing my cocker spaniel puppy "Betsy" born on 4.10.13 she's now 22weeks & we love her to bits. Never had a cocker before. My last dog a staffie sadly passed away aged 14yrs last sept & the house wasn't the same without a dog. My friends had cocker spaniels & I decided I would go for a completely different breed to my last dog. Spent ages looking and found a litter of pups in Bristol. Went to view & found it so hard to choose. But "Betsy" kind of choose us! She clung onto us for dear life. So cute. We finally took her home at aged 8weeks. Her mum is a working cocker & her dad is a show cocker.  She has been a joy. Totally mad at times! Literally flying from one sofa to another. So much fun and is turning into a really stunning loving cocker. She is adorable & I'm totally in love. We have to watch we don't leave any of our food in reach as she eats everything and is a cheeky minx at times but have to say she's very good most of time. She is still going through that mad mouthing stage. When she was tiny she was a nightmare biting but is calming now through training. She has lost her two sharp bottom teeth. Adult teeth are through now. She loves walks & is good off lead. She does pull on lead though!! 😟. We have a harness but it doesn't stop her pulling. Someone recommended a gentle leader?? Do these work? She also hates having her ears brushed & growls & try's to eat the brush. She's also getting very furry feet, which I love but am I supposed to get them trimmed? When do you take them for their first grooming ? So many questions. Anybody that wants to keep in touch can message me esp if their pup is around the same age. Thanks in advance. I'm also on Facebook if anybody wants to be a friend let me know then we can share tips etc. thank you. 👍👍😃😃😃🐶🐶🐶

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: A big hello from Somerset
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 08:12:53 PM »
Hello  to you both.
I am mum to Gemma (working spaniel nearly 3yrs) and Poppy our elderly staffie. We would have stayed with staffies when we lost staffie peggy but wanted a gun dog to share our shooting / beating hobby.
We are in South Lincs, my bro lives in Yeovil with his 2 Sprussels ( JR/ springer crosses) Barney and Harry.
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Welsh cocker

• Wilma
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 08:24:57 PM »
Betsy is beautiful  :luv:
My girl Wilma is the same age and they seem to be at the sand point with adult teeth and hairy feet   :005:
She also liked to chew the brush so that must be another cocker trait  :D
I'm sure someone more experienced will answer some of your questions....I look forward to hearing the replies.

Offline panda66

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 08:25:43 PM »
Hi, Betsy is absolutely gorgeous  :luv:  I have a Working cocker called Lila who is nearly two and is just calming down  :D

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 09:00:49 PM »
Hi. Welcome to COL. We have Bonnie, a black worker. She was 1 in January, did everything your girl is doing but has calmed down a lot since her 1st season...she even lets me brush her every day now without chewing the brush  :005: Still as mad as a hatter at times though  ;) Your girl is beautiful xx

Offline hikingsaz

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
Thanks for all your lovely comments. How old are they when they have their first season?  Still can't decide weather to have her spayed or not?  :luv:

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 10:30:07 PM »
Thanks for all your lovely comments. How old are they when they have their first season?  Still can't decide weather to have her spayed or not?  :luv:

Bonnie was 10.5 months but I believe it can be from 6 months to 18 months or even later. We've just had Bonnie spayed (a week ago),which was 3 months after her season.

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 07:25:47 AM »
Hello  :D

We are in Somerset too...I have Poppy a four year old blue roan show type, Bella who is approx 8yrs old and a blue roan show type but she was an ex breeding girlie from MT, she is blind too...not that it makes any difference to her  :luv: and Carrie a Springy who is around 2.

Betsy is gorgeous...welcome to COL

XXX

Offline hikingsaz

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 08:47:13 AM »
I'm in Burnham on sea. Lots of beach for Betsy to let off some energy. At this precise moment she has come up to my bedroom with a lamb bone! She's really enjoying it but it's making me want to hurl!! Haha. We had roast lamb last night and it was a big joint so the bone is providing to be a god teething bone. I love her so much. She is such a loving dog. Has her totally mad moments and gets over excited when people come round. Trying to stop her jumping up and running all over them. Is it a cocker thing puppies do? X

Offline Charlie Pup

• Donator
  • Working Cocker Charlie
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 01:33:33 PM »
Hello to you and Besty,

I am mum to Charlie the just under 7 month black working cocker and we live in a little town just north of Bristol so not too far from you.  Besty I have to say looks absolutely gorgeous :)  We are going through training with Charlie working on rewarding good behaviour, ignoring bad (not always easy) jumping up, door etiquette etc..  Charlie is also a big puller, I find it easier walking him on the harness because I worry he will damage his neck.  Charlie is not so good off lead, we left it a bit late because previous trainers kept telling me he was too confident, I wish I had never listened. We now go to teenage classes and he is doing well there, just a long way to go.

Happy to keep in touch and maybe meet up for walks :)

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 01:37:54 PM »
Lovely girl!  Have you tried a Gencon?  They are fantastic!  The only thing that ever worked with our Josie who was a springer x lab.  Without it, she could pull me over.  With a Gencon a 2 year old could walk her.
Might be worth a go...
Good luck.
PS - When we go on holiday we may see you as we walk at Uphill beach most days when we are away.
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(