Author Topic: Flea prevention and worming  (Read 465 times)

Offline cardiffbec

Flea prevention and worming
« on: June 11, 2014, 11:53:01 AM »
Our pup is now 14 weeks old and had his second lot of injections on the 13th May. At his second injection the vet gave him a flea and worming treatment.

Can anyone tell me how often I should be treating for worms and fleas to stop him getting them? Recommendations for products would be good too!

Thanks!

Offline Chickenpie

Re: Flea prevention and worming
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 04:37:11 PM »
Our vet recommends worming monthly up to 6 months ( we have been using Milbemax a chewable wormer) and then every 3 months there after.
I now use flea treatment monthly as Cola is a very itchy dog- last vet visit the vet found a live flea on her  :embarassed: so I trying to make sure I use the frontline regularly!  The vet also advised spraying the house and vacuuming as the vibrations encourage the fleas to come out and hop back on the dog enabling the frontline to kill them (think I have this right:)

I am interested to know what flea treatment others use...

Wendy

Offline KeresleyKate

• Arvy
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 10:25:10 AM »
Our vet told us Arvy who's 12 weeks old needs worming once a month up to 6 months old and we should come in and get him weighed so they can give us the right dose.  He's on Milbemax.  Luckily he's a lot easier to give a tablet to than our cats.  I'm following the weighing because when I tried weighing him at home I was a whole kilo out.

Kate
Kate

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 11:25:01 AM »
I haven't used any flea preventatives for about 4 years and during that time I've only once found a flea on one of the dogs. That was several months ago and I then treated both dogs with Practic and sprayed the house with Indorex as a precaution. No problems since then.

I just don't like using chemicals on them unless absolutely necessary.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 03:54:51 PM »
I only treat for fleas so many times a year  having cats means we get more fleas - when I do treat I use advantage (you can buy cheaply online)

However, because Bosley is always picking up dead things am having to worm them every month at the moment where I would normally only do it 3 or 4 times a year
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 06:28:00 PM »
Our vet told us Arvy who's 12 weeks old needs worming once a month up to 6 months old and we should come in and get him weighed so they can give us the right dose.  He's on Milbemax.  Luckily he's a lot easier to give a tablet to than our cats.  I'm following the weighing because when I tried weighing him at home I was a whole kilo out.

Kate

I think the worming timing for puppies sounds about the usual.

When Minstrel was little, I found the easiest way was for me to weigh myself & him, then me on my own and take away the difference.  Came a bit of a prob when he started to get bigger and more wriggly though. So now it is a monthly trip to the vets on the bus - a weigh, then a walk and ride home

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.