Author Topic: 10-week-old puppy - how much sleep?  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Sarahingarforth

10-week-old puppy - how much sleep?
« on: June 05, 2014, 10:34:50 AM »
Hello all

We have had our 10-week old puppy for nearly two weeks now and I just wondered if we're letting her have enough sleep as she seems to get cranky and start biting after playing for a while.

We've been letting her sleep for an hour or so, then playing / going outside for about an hour or so?

Is this enough / too much? Any advice welcomed!

Thanks

Sarah

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: 10-week-old puppy - how much sleep?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 10:50:05 AM »
Hello and welcome to COL :D

At 10 weeks she needs lots of sleep so if you can learn to recognise the point at which she becomes tired and cranky you'll then be able to pre-empt it and try to calm her down so that she falls asleep rather than becoming over tired. Finding a way to calm her may be the tricky bit :lol2: but if she's playing with you, try to make the playing less exciting at that point and see if that works, or try a puppy Kong with something tasty in it or a puppy nylabone. Chewing things like that can be calming and soothing so may help her fall asleep.

Please tell us some more about your puppy and post some photos too :D

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 10:53:06 AM »
Hi and congratulations on your pup

long time since we had a pup but someone will be along shortly to help. I think it is best to let them sleep for along as they want to. You are also heading for the cockerdile period. shall say no more and wait for the posts  :005:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Sep1702

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 11:05:32 AM »
Hello
Mali is nearly 6 months old and my first cocker so I'm no expert but she was exactly the same, she very rarely gave in for a sleep and would keep going but get very nuts and bitey.  We started to give her some quiet time so that she woukd sleep and noticed improvement almost immediately.  One thing I've picked up on this group is also not to over exercise them either and the rule is 5 mins for every month in age.
I hope that helps a little.

Sarah x

Offline Sarahingarforth

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 11:16:04 AM »
Thanks for your help and advice. Much appreciated. I think might be asking quite a lot of questions here!

I'll try to work out how to post a picture but Poppy is pretty much black all over except for a white bib.

She's mad as a box of frogs so I must admit it's taking a bit of adjusting to having a puppy. But she is lovely! X

Offline Bunbury

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 12:19:46 PM »
We have only had our Larkin since Saturday so he's not quite 9 weeks yet and he has a lot of sleep during the day.  He's definitely more bitey when he's starting to get tired - when he starts wanting to bite us rather than his chew toys is usually a sign he needs to start calming down.

On average, I'd say he's been sleeping for 2-3 hours after 1-2 hours of activity.

Following advice from this forum, and because we are up early, I'm looking for him to have at least 2 hours sleep in the morning, 2 in the early afternoon and if possible another 2 hours later on.

I would love it if someone would tuck me up in a nice cosy crate and let me sleep - I'm done in!   :lol2:

Good luck with your puppy.

Offline Sarahingarforth

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 01:01:57 PM »
Thanks Bunbury

Good to know it's not just us. Poppy does exactly the same - starts biting hands and trousers etc rather than chew toys.

We're early risers too so trying to get her into some sort of schedule that works around all of us. Not easy!

I know what you mean about being done in - best of luck with your pup too!

Offline Bunbury

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 01:45:25 PM »
I should also say that we found the biting when Larkin is tiring less stressful after we switched from giving him a hard chew toy at this point to offering a large soft toy (if you look on the puppy photo board you'll see him triumphing over his sheepy friend!).

It may be obvious to experienced owners, but we've never had a dog before and so it was only by observation that we realised he wanted a substitute for his litter mates i.e. crawl all over someone, have a good nibble and then fall asleep together in a big heap.  The large soft toy seems to help with that - and has the added advantage of helping to keep your hands out of the way when you're offering it to him  ;).

If I'm reading that wrong then I hope an experienced members will correct me!

Offline Sarahingarforth

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 04:31:04 PM »
Thanks Bunbury. I'm new to this too so I'm glad to be able to learn from others! X

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 06:39:13 PM »
Minstrel is nearly a year now so his early puppy days are getting faded - but I do remember him sleeping quite a bit during those first weeks, caught up with the jobs I could not do whilst he was awake tho - and we had some crafty snoozes on the settee together. :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 08:35:34 PM »
Bunbury you just reminded me, I got my pup a substitute litter mate before we got her, the Donky was about twice her size :lol2: it did save our fingers on more than one occasion :005:

I found putting her in her own quiet space with some soft toys helped her nod off for a couple of hours, I let her sleep for as long as she wanted and tried to get her to sleep every couple of hours, you soon get to see the signs :D

Good luck more fun to come :005:

Offline Sarahingarforth

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 09:01:58 PM »
Thanks all - lovely to be able to ask people in the know! Sarah x

Offline RachelandHallie

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 08:21:20 AM »
Hallie is 9 weeks old and I got her on Thursday  :lol2: she seems also to sleep nap a lot, as I type she's actually asleep beneath my feet . She tires out, sleeps, she tires out, sleeps:). Although she has kept me alert at night to let her out. I am too, very tired but smitten  :luv:

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 08:40:48 AM »
When you say you are letting her sleep, does that mean you are waking her up?  If she is quiet and sleeping, then leave her until she wakes up.  Pups need a lot of sleep (like human babies) but are usually rubbish at recognising that they need to have a rest.  While there is something going on, they will usually keep going and get bitey and manic as a result of overtiredness.   :-\    I would just make sure there is a quiet place for her to settle for a snooze when she needs to  ;)  Sadly, her sleep times may not coincide with yours  >:( - those first few weeks and months are very hard work, but will settle down and soooo worth it  :D

Julie and Watson

Offline Sarahingarforth

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 08:57:25 AM »
Thanks Rachel and Joules

Yes we have been getting Poppy up to try to get her to fit in with our schedule a bit!

Touch wood she's been pretty good at night (hope I'm not tempting fate here!). It's a while since I had newborns so a bit of a shock to the system!

Good luck with Hallie Rachel :) x