Author Topic: Puppy poo'ing his crate  (Read 656 times)

Offline Lukesoar

Puppy poo'ing his crate
« on: August 09, 2014, 10:17:04 AM »
George is ten weeks old and we've had him now for just under a fortnight, we are trying to crate train George and are getting up thro the night to him and have also tried to leave him. Every night we get up to him not only has he poo'ed in his bed but he seems too trample/smoother himself in it which means we are having to clean him which, I believe isn't good for his coat. During the days he is excellent and more often than not he's going outside. It just seems the night. Last night he poo'ed when I checked at midnight, again at 2 and again at 6. Can anyone share the same and/or shead some light Or advice on how to progress. The crate is laid out with pad on one side and bed on the other. Thanks ever so much.

Luke

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Puppy poo'ing his crate
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 10:42:55 AM »
Sounds like he is getting stressed/upset being on his own, most pups will poop & pee when stressed, not sure what the solution is apart from having him where he can see you  (maybe in his crate in your bedroom ? )
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Golden Blue

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 06:22:02 PM »
Hello, we had exactly the same problem with Cleo in our early days!  I rang the vet for advice and was told to get a smaller crate.  We had gone for a large one that would be suitable for when she was fully grown.  We were told to take the training pad out (scary!) and just put only her bedding in there.  We got a smaller crate, put just her comfy bed in there and it worked a treat the very first night and she never messed in her crate again!  Dogs don't like to go to the toilet in their beds, I think we gave a confusing message in the first place using the pad. Good luck!  :)

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 06:32:54 PM »
I think unfortunately the "dogs won't mess their beds" theory is not as hard and fast a rule as the books like to make out! My puppy certainly had no qualms about it!   :o Could just be that crate training doesn't work for your boy. It doesn't work for every one. If he's happy to use pads in the day then try moving them out of his crate so he can go outto use them and then go back to bed (hopefully). Having them inside the crate could well be confusing him.

Offline Gem01

• Jake
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 09:26:29 PM »
Hi,

Jake used to poo in his crate too. Drove us mad. Getting up in the night and cleaning poo and washing him in the morning, not good. We gave up on the crate early on and just put baby gate across kitchen. He got the hang of things, hind sight is wonderful. Don't stress as they all get there.

Good luck  :005:

Gemma & jake
Gemma & Jake

Offline Gem01

• Jake
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 09:28:18 PM »
Hi,

Jake used to poo in his crate too. Drove us mad. Getting up in the night and cleaning poo and washing him in the morning, not good. We gave up on the crate early on and just put baby gate across kitchen. He got the hang of things, hind sight is wonderful. Don't stress as they all get there.

Good luck  :005:

Gemma & jake
Gemma & Jake