Author Topic: Biting starts to hurt  (Read 511 times)

Offline Ede And Daisy

Biting starts to hurt
« on: August 14, 2014, 02:07:01 PM »
Hello!
How do you all get along with biting, daisy seems to be biting anyone and anything
Toes, fingers, chins, ears, you name it. She's starting to bite really hard now and it's hurting us, any tips on what to do? :012: :012:
:luv:

Offline Carolanne

Re: Biting starts to hurt
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 03:24:57 PM »
Hi we had exactly the same with our little chap but the good news is it does get better!  You don't say how old Daisy is but our boy was biting/nipping from day 3 of having him at home. It is funny to look back on it because we used to have to come down to him in the morning dressed like Rambo, trousers tucked into boots, thick socks, etc as he would just hang off our clothing and leap at us from behind, nipping at ankles etc. It does hurt because their little teeth are so sharp and of course, they are playing and think that is what we want to do. I once not so long ago wrote in to the Forum with a similar tale to yours and was promptly helped by so many people who had been there, done that and got the t shirt so you are not alone!

The advice people gave proved invaluable so what I did was to continually say 'No biting' and promptly give him a toy or a chew and if he became too over excited and past the stage of listening, I would either leave the room for a moment or two or put him in his pen which at times was a challenge as he would see that coming and promptly turn on his back, kicking and pawing at me showing all his little sharp teeth. It was a bit scary at first but I soon got over the fear and just picked him up and put him in his pen. I only left him for a minute or two and then let him out again. This 'ignoring' thing worked the best for our little cockerdille and he is now 19 weeks and nipping much less than he was so it does get better. I believe a lot of it is to do with teething and ours liked ice cubes (soothing) and chews and sometimes soft toys to bite on.

Do look at other peoples posts and you will get lots of ideas on how to deal with it. If there are children in the home, make them stand still with arms folded and call for an adult because if children start screaming, running away and making lots of noise and flapping hands about, the puppy will see this as a game which could easily end in tears.

I hope you can stick with it as it seems a very common problem with this breed but it does get better if you persevere and stay consistent in training her. Good luck.

Offline Jakes mum

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 04:40:47 PM »
Hi Jake is also biting all the time and anything he can get his mouth around. I have found that lots of toys around helps a lot as if he has something in his mouth he not worried about biting us.  As soon as he coming over I grab the nearest toy give it to him first and then cuddle him, seems to be working so far. Good luck.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 04:44:18 PM »
This is the Cockerdile stage. does not last long  :005:.  Afraid it is wellies, thick gloves and plenty of grin and bare it  :011:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 09:07:05 PM »
This is the Cockerdile stage. does not last long  :005:.  Afraid it is wellies, thick gloves and plenty of grin and bare it  :011:

You forgot the very large glass of wine   :011: