Author Topic: temperament  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Carolanne

Re: temperament
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2014, 05:07:32 PM »
Hi Vixter
Thanks for your post and just to let you know that he has been much better today. Much less nipping even with the grandchildren. I took the advice of some others who replied to me and put him in his pen to sleep. If not he would stay awake all day and be hell by the evening. I think also since being able to go out for a little walk has also been a help as today he has been so much nicer. I know today could be a one off but I am looking at it as a positive step forward.  I wish you and all the other cockerdile owners good luck in rearing these little imps.

Offline April Shower

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
Hi Carolanne, I'm sorry to hear about your back.  You reminded me that in the first days with Archie my back was aching with all the bending down, and by the first weekend we actually rearranged our furniture, including removing the kitchen table & chairs so that I didn't have to keep bending down to see where he was and what he was up to.  We put two metal chairs in the middle of the kitchen as he couldn't bite them, and spent our evenings (and days actually)  there with him rather than in the carpeted living room.  The table & chairs have now returned to the kitchen and Archie is invited into the living room in the evenings as he's toilet trained, but we  still have issues with him being unable to relax at all when he's in there with us.   Two steps forward one step back!  You asked if we bought Archie from a recommended breeder and we did, but I'm not sure it makes a jot of difference other than being very expensive!! :-\ 

Offline Vixter

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2014, 09:00:44 AM »
April shower, we have exactly the same issue! I cannot get our pup to settle in the living room.  I live my life in our kitchen on plastic garden chairs  :-\  We have tried Isla in the living room with us but as you find with Archie she just will not settle.  I can get her to settle beautifully in the kitchen and she will often just entertain herself, but other rooms is a disaster.  We are trying to put her in the living room for 1 hr a day in the evening when we know she is already tired to see if we can improve things…….  Like you two steps forward, one back.
Im so sorry to hear how difficult you are finding it, as it is really hard.  I agree that somedays the hard work and stamina needed all just does seem a bit much and i also wonder if I can do it, but I feel I can't give up yet
Carolanne - I am so pleased he is better today, and that things are looking up.  Sleep really seems to help with bitey puppies as does exercise !!